Xbox One Sales 'Quickly Catching Up' To PS4

HardOCP News

[H] News
More evidence that Microsoft should have launched its console at a lower price point than it did.

Speaking at the UBS Global Technology Conference this week, EA chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen said (via Gamasutra): "Clearly Sony has jumped out to a lead with a great console and I think a great pricing strategy, [but] Microsoft is catching up quickly. "Pricing actions that are taking place, particularly during this Christmas season, driven by Microsoft, around reduction plus a lot of bundled software, I think will continue to pull the consumer into the new consoles," he added.

All across the board Microsoft is currently very aggressive with consumer pricing and deals on bundles. If for no other reason than price Microsoft tech should ring up a lot of sales this Holiday season though the margins will be much less.

Or it could just be temporary. The price cut just caused those on the fence or those waiting for a price cut to buy one now. Let's see how well it's selling after the holidays.

At least they know the sweet point for pricing. ~$349-399. Anything higher, and sales are lower. PS3 had a similar start (but it was still one of the cheapest Blu-ray players at the time!). When the price dropped to <$399, sales started going up a lot faster.

People like lower prices. I waited until I got a bargain (and Titanfall bundled with it). I paid just under $400 for the Titanfall bundle with the Kinect. $499 was too high for me. I think after the Sega CD and Sega Saturn, I stopped buying consoles at launch.

Is this world wide or United States?

Either way, I hope this success makes Sony slash prices themselves. Fight, fight!

Unbundling Kinect doesn't really count as a price drop since they offer several SKUs.

People like cheaper stuff imagine that:eek:

It's still $100 less for a piece of equipment no one wanted.

PS4 hasn't budged even for Black Friday sales. Should tell us something.

And it only took 2 price drops.
More than that, it also hit $334 IIRC at all Costcos for the Assasin bundle, and then it was $312 on Ebay recently. But neither the PS4 or XBone are selling all that great considering they should have seen a surge of sales since the platforms are still relatively fresh. Imagine how sales will do as the platforms age over the next decade... eek!

Nvidia-Game-Sales-Data-640x357.jpg

I've only got room for either a PS4 or an xbone, and I already chose a PS4 and love it. That said, I hope Microsoft pulls ahead for a while and keeps the competition strong. Nobody benefits when there's only one player in town. Look at how hard Microsoft has worked for your money this year, and look at how Sony has basically done nothing but sit back and watch their success.

I am probably gonna get a ps4 again this year since I sold mine last time because of the lack of games. Looking forward to First person GTA5 unless i hold out for the pc version. But i am a lazy bastard now and don't really care for sitting on the computer desk as long as sitting on the couch. A couple sessions with league or starcraft and i'm done.

The Xbox lost to the PS2 partly because MS killed the Xbox early
The 360 lost to the PS3, mainly because it was a piece of shit (RROD) and lacked Blu-ray
The Xbone is losing due to inferior spec and pricing. At least they are working on the pricing.

It seems in each instance MS could have been more competitive but they keep dropping the ball.

The 360 lost to the PS3, mainly because it was a piece of shit (RROD) and lacked Blu-ray
The Xbone is losing due to inferior spec and pricing. At least they are working on the pricing.

It seems in each instance MS could have been more competitive but they keep dropping the ball.
Amen to that, and if they really wanted a coup de gras, they should have done what Steam is doing and leveraged their Windows OS and simply made their next console run in a skinned locked down Windows with DirectX.

Developers would then be coding for just the PC/Xbox platform together, which would give it about 75% of the total gaming marketshare combined.

There's simply no way that Sony could compete with that, as Microsoft would have so many more exclusives and such a larger player base.

The only downside I can figure out is that they were afraid that a mouse is so much more precise than a thumb controller that if put toe-to-toe it wouldn't be a level playing field and no one would buy a console anymore when its so black and white in front of them getting pwned left and right.

I'm Pretty Sure the 360 did not loose to the ps3.:rolleyes:

If anything the 360 was real competitive to the PS3. It anything it did its job by making sony step up its game and release a cheaper PS3. I would also say it contributed to a $399 PS4. If the 360 was a failure, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 was less powerful then it is and cost more.

Is this world wide or United States?

Either way, I hope this success makes Sony slash prices themselves. Fight, fight!

Sadly they can't really afford to. They sell the consoles at cost, they already lose so much money they can't afford to sell them at a loss.

I've only got room for either a PS4 or an xbone, and I already chose a PS4 and love it. That said, I hope Microsoft pulls ahead for a while and keeps the competition strong. Nobody benefits when there's only one player in town. Look at how hard Microsoft has worked for your money this year, and look at how Sony has basically done nothing but sit back and watch their success.

I can make room for both, started with the xbox one and enjoy it. Will probably get a PS4 next once I see some PS4 only games for it that I want.

Xbox 360 lost to PS3? that is new to me. As far as I knew there were far more Xbox 360s sold and used for actual gaming than PS3 for a long time. It wasn't till the very end as far as I know that the PS3 came even with the 360. At once point just a few years ago it was 1.6 Xbox 360s sold to every 1 PS3. The PS3 also had hardware issues.

Both are doing very well. Compared to the Wii U. There is never going to be a fair 1 to 1 market. At least not for many years. That is what happen with the PS3, toward the end people decided to pick one up for cheap and it balanced out the market. Same will happen here. People started with the cheaper unit (PS4) and are slowly moving toward the market becoming more balanced. Console gamers don't give a damn about specs. I know people here go on and on about it, but in the real world people don't care. If people cared about specs only the Wii and Wii U would have sold 0 units. They have sold many more than 0 units so that disproves that specs have anything to do with the sales.

All 3 systems are selling, 2 of them are at least making money for their companies. Nintendo might be fixing that... maybe.... but Microsoft and Sony are both doing well with their consoles, they are selling, games are selling. They are doing well in the competitive area. Or as well as one can really expect. You can't expect realistically 1 PS4 to sell for every Xbox One.

I'm Pretty Sure the 360 did not loose to the ps3.:rolleyes:

The PS 3 sold as many consoles in 7 years as the 360 did in 8. So, I'd say the PS3 beat the 360. Of course the Wii completely trounced both of them.

VG Chartz has it:
Wii: 100.9 million
PS3: 83.7 million
360: 83.5 million

The PS 3 sold as many consoles in 7 years as the 360 did in 8. So, I'd say the PS3 beat the 360. Of course the Wii completely trounced both of them.

VG Chartz has it:
I think the Wii was basically selling at cost though, trying to flood the market to attract developers.

VG Chartz has it:

Well, if you exclude Japan out of the numbers, the 360 does much better than the PS3. Let's be honest. Microsoft has no shot in Japan. They never have, and I doubt they will in the immediate future. Their next console could be a credit card sized console 10x more powerful than whatever Sony and Nintendo have, and they'll still sell less than either of their competitors offerings.

Back