Microsoft Withdraws Another Buggy Update

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s Déjà vu all over again. Microsoft is at least becoming consistent with its Patch Tuesday releases, each month patches are being recalled on a regular basis. The culprit this month is Microsoft security update 2949927.

It's been a rough few months for Microsoft's update quality control. September updates for Lync and OneDrive for Business were withdrawn because of bugs in the updates. The August patches were an even bigger mess with four updates withdrawn.

It's gotten so bad lately that we're no longer pushing out the patches until about 2-3 weeks after they are released just so we can wait any reports of failure.

We had no problems whatsoever with any updates of the last couple months. Its all Windows 8.1 machines here though, the problem linked above seems to be Windows 7 and server 2008 specific.

yeah, screw up win 7 so pple will migrate to win 8.1

nice plan huh?

Heh, I've been holding off installing the latest patches just on the off chance that M$ botched another patch or three. Looks like that was a good idea.

For my home machines I just create a restore point right before I install the updates, never had an issue at home. The servers at work is what I'm more concerned with. Even if a few go well, one or more could have issues.

glad i waited, 43 win 7 machines at work, was waiting for the last patch tuesday as well but didnt have time to push out the updates.

Fuck, I already installed all that bullshit. My PC seems to be fine, though.

Good thing they RIFed all those test guys...oh...wait...

Ha, I was going to say something similar. It's going to be a painful transition while devs here (myself included, to a degree) start having to truly handle quality. Hopefully it's a short one.

And this is why Microsoft should go back to Service Packs. At least then service packs was tested by oems and made sure they work with other software and hardware. That was quality control. Now MS has no quality control because windows update is like woot not we have all these computer that can beta test for us.

Also I have noticed that if you turn off automatic updates on most Windows 7, 8 Machines Microsoft will turn it back on for you without asking. Now I'm finding I have to turn the service completely off and do the updates manually.

And this is why Microsoft should go back to Service Packs. At least then service packs was tested by oems and made sure they work with other software and hardware. That was quality control. Now MS has no quality control because windows update is like woot not we have all these computer that can beta test for us.

Also I have noticed that if you turn off automatic updates on most Windows 7, 8 Machines Microsoft will turn it back on for you without asking. Now I'm finding I have to turn the service completely off and do the updates manually.

"Now we have" sorry typed little too fast there

I remember going through the same exact thing on XP.
Good luck!
At least I've got a *nix laptop that just works.

I remember going through the same exact thing on XP.
Good luck!
At least I've got a *nix laptop that just works.

Until you download and install something that breaks you *nix. :rolleyes: Good luck!

Because they don't have to be. No reason to fix anything, 99% of their customers have no choice in what to use anyway.

Now. I dont think that we have no choice!!! Have you guys seen that beautiful iMac 5k display!? Makes you want to dump f* windows out the windows!

Now. I dont think that we have no choice!!! Have you guys seen that beautiful iMac 5k display!? Makes you want to dump f* windows out the windows!

Windows 8 on a laptop without a touchscreen was enough to make me want to throw it out the window.
It's the reason I started back up on Linux, which I hadn't used since just before Vista.

Back