Google Fiber to Launch in Austin in December

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Okay all of you Austinites, begin icing down the Champaign and get the Hors d'oeuvres ready, it’s almost time to celebrate. Even though it took Google a little longer than expected, their ultrafast Internet service is set to go live in December.

Austin will be the third location for Google Fiber. The service, which offers Internet speeds of 1 gigabit per second, about 100 times the U.S. average, came to Kansas City, Mo., first and then Provo, Utah.

inb4 why don't they set up Google fiber here and endless bitching why we don't have fiber....

That said... :D my ISP apparently has been in talks with San Francisco to be able to get access to over 140 miles of dark fiber... which of course the city is being a douche about.

inb4 why don't they set up Google fiber here and endless bitching why we don't have fiber....

That said... :D my ISP apparently has been in talks with San Francisco to be able to get access to over 140 miles of dark fiber... which of course the city is being a douche about.

Or people like me mention that I have a fiber connection and can only get a 18 megabit connection because LOL AT&T.

Cool, now if I could only find a gigabit vpn provider so google can't data mine my every bit of traffic I use on their network. Google spying is getting to me at this point.

Cool, now if I could only find a gigabit vpn provider so google can't data mine my every bit of traffic I use on their network. Google spying is getting to me at this point.

Yeah, I was tinkering with my Google account only to figure out there is a place in there that showed everywhere I had been and when, since I got my Android. The information is also downloadable into a single file.

Guess it is time to start including Austin in my list of job search areas.

Yeah, I was tinkering with my Google account only to figure out there is a place in there that showed everywhere I had been and when, since I got my Android. The information is also downloadable into a single file.
Yeah, I was just looking at my google searches from my laptops browser (because I always stayed logged into gmail out of convenience) that are stored in google settings history on my phone and was like fuck it, that's enough for me. I turned off gmail altogether on my phone (can't uninstall it), then removed gmail as a bookmarked page on my laptops browser, and then went and signed up for a Proton encrypted email account. I'm just about done with Google/Android products altogether and it's long overdue. I just need this new email account to become available for my permanent email address and then I'm really thinking about selling my Note 3 and buying the new bendable iPhone 6 plus (with a sturdy case) over the upcoming Nexus 6 just because...Fuck Google. I've been on Android since my first smartphone, the Motorola Droid X, and I think I've given them enough free to mine data at this point. Where I'm from nothing is free and I shouldn't have let it go on this long. I'd rather donate to Proton (MIT and CERN scientists) and get a secure email account anyway.

It's not about having anything bad to hide either, it's just about the lack of respect for my overall privacy and not being completely used and sold out by one of the largest corporations in the world so they can make even more billions. I've never owned an Apple phone before or ever cared to but in my opinion google is a serious threat to the 'right to be left alone'.

Get Torguard then, they are pretty decent. Tons of servers, DNS is also provided and they never keep any records. ~$60 per year which isn't too bad.

Yeah, I was just looking at my google searches from my laptops browser (because I always stayed logged into gmail out of convenience) that are stored in google settings history on my phone and was like fuck it, that's enough for me. I turned off gmail altogether on my phone (can't uninstall it), then removed gmail as a bookmarked page on my laptops browser, and then went and signed up for a Proton encrypted email account. I'm just about done with Google/Android products altogether and it's long overdue. I just need this new email account to become available for my permanent email address and then I'm really thinking about selling my Note 3 and buying the new bendable iPhone 6 plus (with a sturdy case) over the upcoming Nexus 6 just because...Fuck Google. I've been on Android since my first smartphone, the Motorola Droid X, and I think I've given them enough free to mine data at this point. Where I'm from nothing is free and I shouldn't have let it go on this long. I'd rather donate to Proton (MIT and CERN scientists) and get a secure email account anyway.

It's not about having anything bad to hide either, it's just about the lack of respect for my overall privacy and not being completely used and sold out by one of the largest corporations in the world so they can make even more billions. I've never owned an Apple phone before or ever cared to but in my opinion google is a serious threat to the 'right to be left alone'.

I ordered a Lumia 1520 a few days ago. It was that or the 6+. I like Windows Phone and wanted Cortana and I have high hopes for Windows 10 too. You can download an archive of your google account and then purge the information you don't want online as well.

College Station is getting gigabit net by Summer 2015. Suddenlink is upgrading its entire network to gigabit, not just individual hand picked towns.

They are starting at the wrong end of town. North East is where Dell, Samsung and Applied Materials are.

Great, now people who don't even have electricity or indoor plumbing are being offered high speed data collection and mining...I mean internet service...hehe, minor slip up. At least, for the few people that have basic utilites there, using all those tricky ways of evading Google's data collection will no longer work since they control the flow of all data to your doorstep and we all know that encrypted VPN traffic can be decrypted in realtime nowadays.

using all those tricky ways of evading Google's data collection will no longer work since they control the flow of all data to your doorstep and we all know that encrypted VPN traffic can be decrypted in real time nowadays.
We do? :D News to me. And here I thought I had a chance at a little online privacy.

We do? :D News to me. And here I thought I had a chance at a little online privacy.

I remember reading somewhere, I think like Security Week, that there are IDS products that have to do this out of necessity to determine whether encrypted traffic is malicious or not. For whatever reason HP TippingPoint products come to mind, but if HP can do it, I can't imagine that other companies don't have products that can as well.

Or people like me mention that I have a fiber connection and can only get a 18 megabit connection because LOL AT&T.

Do you actually have FTTH? Or FTTN? Uverse is basically still DSL technology using copper lines, they just bring the CO closer to you with fiber to those boxes on the streets.

Of course if you actually have fiber to your house then that would piss me off too.

Do you actually have FTTH? Or FTTN? Uverse is basically still DSL technology using copper lines, they just bring the CO closer to you with fiber to those boxes on the streets.

Of course if you actually have fiber to your house then that would piss me off too.

Brentwood fiber. I got the fiber modem mounted to the side of the garage and Ethernet routed through the whole house. Ping with a fiber connection on the house is insane. I got this house because sonic.net is coming and I am in just a holding pattern until they get here this winter.

I remember reading somewhere, I think like Security Week, that there are IDS products that have to do this out of necessity to determine whether encrypted traffic is malicious or not. For whatever reason HP TippingPoint products come to mind, but if HP can do it, I can't imagine that other companies don't have products that can as well.

I believe that depends on what protocol/type of VPN you are using and the type of encryption. AFAIK 256-bit encryption is still extremely hard to crack.

I believe that depends on what protocol/type of VPN you are using and the type of encryption. AFAIK 256-bit encryption is still extremely hard to crack.

I admit I don't at all know the technical details so yeah, maybe it's limited by encryption type. At the time I was reading about it, I didn't really pay very close attention. It was just one of those, "Huh, well okay that's kinda neat in a creepy way," moments.

Are there any good VPN service providers that offer 512-bit or higher encryption?

From the looks of it, yes, but it isn't necessary. https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/4931/best-encrypted-vpn/
Well that's a funny review of the best encrypted VPN service, the winner for best encryption (Editor's choice) is not recommended by the editor...lol. Confusing...
Unfortunately, it is policy problems that lead us to recommend you avoid VPN.S, for although it advertises itself as a ‘no logs’ service, an examination of its ToS pretty much contradicts this. Add a rigorous anti-copyright stance, and we think all that fantastic work on the technical front means little.

Not sure why what level of encryption being used matters if logs are kept.

Brentwood fiber. I got the fiber modem mounted to the side of the garage and Ethernet routed through the whole house. Ping with a fiber connection on the house is insane. I got this house because sonic.net is coming and I am in just a holding pattern until they get here this winter.

Ah, was that dark fiber that AT&T lit up for Uverse? Explains why Sonic would go in there though, they're a good company but not big enough to lay out fiber in someplace like Brentwood just because. They've been "talking" with San Francisco will getting their hands on some of the dark fiber too, I'm not holding my breath though. They're upgrading to VDSL2 which could be half way decent... if you're closer to a CO. Unfortunately I'm over a mile away so I'm screwed.

Back