Google Removes Pirate Bay Search Box and Links

HardOCP News

[H] News
This was inevitable. I guess it's hard to convince the entertainment industry that you are trying to help combat piracy when you bust out a big fat search box for TPB links.

After making headlines all over the Internet Google has decided to take down the sitelinks search box for The Pirate Bay. Perhaps worried that it may increase complaints from copyright holders, similar search boxes for other torrent sites have also been removed.

Not to discount your post there, but in regards to the sitelinks search - who cares? They still have links to get to the Pirate Bay itself. And, depending on what you were searching for in the first place, that sitelink search wouldn't be the best option anyhow. Still, though, it is interesting to watch money very directly bend freedoms this way.

Do you people have any clue about the number of global lawsuits against Google because of their obfuscation and manipulation of search results? By their own numbers they now control 2/3 of all web searches worldwide, am I the only American who's bothered by this situation?

I tell you the honest feeling is like being stuck in a flipping episode of the Twilight Zone. And one of the sucky later season episodes.

Damn, if only there was a way to get to the pirate bay without using google... Well, I guess that's it. They won. Show's over, fellow pirates.

Damn, if only there was a way to get to the pirate bay without using google... Well, I guess that's it. They won. Show's over, fellow pirates.

Apparently you did not read the article. They're not taking down links to the pirate bay, they're taking down the small search bars that would show up on their page once search results posted to be able to search inside the site, but on the google search page.

am I the only American who's bothered by this situation?

Absolutely not. google's search results have been getting worse by the day and not just for pirates but a lot of useful/obscure information seems much harder to find these days. It appears google has a rocking monopoly goin on.

Absolutely not. google's search results have been getting worse by the day and not just for pirates but a lot of useful/obscure information seems much harder to find these days. It appears google has a rocking monopoly goin on.

How would one know they are getting worse unless you were searching for something you knew was there anyhow? If you go out to search on Ebola, for instance, how would you know if the CDC, feds, whatever, somehow made Google limit the articles that are popping up?

Do you people have any clue about the number of global lawsuits against Google because of their obfuscation and manipulation of search results? By their own numbers they now control 2/3 of all web searches worldwide, am I the only American who's bothered by this situation?

When is someone forced to use Google for searches, except maybe with an Android phone? Just because two thirds of searches are through Google doesn't mean there isn't an alternative.

Understatement of the week imo. If it's not about buying cheap crap from China, Google is squelching it. Why? Because they can, and because it suits the best interest of the company.

@Fun: Will you be satisfied with a Google (or Bing etc) search for "torrent" returns nothing except sites about rain and wind? If you think that's a ridiculous claim simply save this post and read it in three years. Maybe two or one. It all depends on how Google's legal department is feeling today.

The internet desperately needs an objective search engine, and to have to even defend that claim is again like being stuck in a bad episode of the Zone. Google or any company can't be blamed for doing business legally. My gripe is with our federal government for not providing proper protection and regulation of internet traffic as the essential private communications utility it has become. Countries around the world are doing exactly this, but not ours.

How would one know they are getting worse unless you were searching for something you knew was there anyhow? If you go out to search on Ebola, for instance, how would you know if the CDC, feds, whatever, somehow made Google limit the articles that are popping up?

I'm only commenting on my personal experience. In the past I could search and find old or obscure articles or search for problems with certain motherboards or hardware and get pages of results. Now if you search for specific topics, not Jennifer Lawrence nudies, you get a page or two, depending on the topic, and its mostly irreverent information with a couple of your search words in bold. Sometimes you can do better with ixquick or duckduckgo and sometimes you don't even find results from websites dedicated to specific topics. I guess we don't really know if google is being forced to limit their results but we do know they have a monetary interest in displaying results conducive to their profit margin.

For a quick lesson on what Google has done, try any search string for a video, then try again using the exact same string with "flv" added.

Downright frightening. They've literally lobotomized the entire internet.

Google results are incredibly censored to where it's really not that great of a search engine anymore. Duckduckgo is giving me better results than Google on some searches where Google gives zero results.

So since google is actively censoring their search engine, does that mean they can be fined, sued or whatever for content that is found through their engine? I mean taking the action to police what your crawler finds, means that they are responsible for ALL content it locates, regardless if they created it.

Back