eBay, PayPal Splitting Into Separate Companies In 2015

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like eBay and PayPal are going all 2001 on us.

Online auction house eBay said Tuesday it plans to split its PayPal unit into a separately traded company next year. The separation will bring in two new leaders. Devin Wenig, eBay Marketplaces president, will become the new CEO of eBay. Dan Schulman, president of the American Express Enterprise Growth Group, will serve as the new CEO of PayPal.

good choice paypal ebay faces uphill battle against alibaba

Against alibaba.... Really?

I have actually purchased one thing from alibaba.. Their page is a horrible mess to do searches on and find what you are actually looking for.

The shipping and tracking on alibaba are also pretty horrible.

Sure, if you are somebody that doesn't mind waiting 3-6 weeks for your package to arrive with almost no tracking whatsoever, and you also don't mind having to search through pages and pages full of listings, with most of them ending being out of stock, then sure.. use alibaba.

Against alibaba.... Really?

I have actually purchased one thing from alibaba.. Their page is a horrible mess to do searches on and find what you are actually looking for.

The shipping and tracking on alibaba are also pretty horrible.

Sure, if you are somebody that doesn't mind waiting 3-6 weeks for your package to arrive with almost no tracking whatsoever, and you also don't mind having to search through pages and pages full of listings, with most of them ending being out of stock, then sure.. use alibaba.

regardless, they already do more commerce than amazon and ebay combined

That's crazy, I had no idea fixedmy7970. I have never bought from Alibaba nor has anyone that I personally know. The seller never comes up in conversation, and I really haven't even ever heard of it except from this. Maybe I have in the past, and just forgot about it.

That's crazy, I had no idea fixedmy7970. I have never bought from Alibaba nor has anyone that I personally know. The seller never comes up in conversation, and I really haven't even ever heard of it except from this. Maybe I have in the past, and just forgot about it.

Alibaba is great if you want to connect with manufacturers. But the site does have a learning curve on how to navigate the counterfeits and trading cos.

alibaba makes more sales then amazon and ebay combined i believe. However theres more complaints regarding counterfeit, KO, item never receieved, fraud etc from alibab then ebay and amazon combined as well.

Alibaba is good for low cost items that you want at wholesale. If your looking to buy name brand goods at wholesale, be prepared to receive a box of rocks in the mail, at least thats what my neighbor got when he ordered stuff off alibaba.

alibaba makes more sales then amazon and ebay combined i believe. However theres more complaints regarding counterfeit, KO, item never receieved, fraud etc from alibab then ebay and amazon combined as well.

Alibaba is good for low cost items that you want at wholesale. If your looking to buy name brand goods at wholesale, be prepared to receive a box of rocks in the mail, at least thats what my neighbor got when he ordered stuff off alibaba.

I actually don't see why that would even happen when buying off of Alibaba.. the box of rocks I mean.

I read through all their terms before I ordered, and it clearly states that the seller's funds will not be released until the buyer verifies that they received the goods.. or after not hearing from the seller for a specific number of days after the tracking says it was delivered.

So eBay and Paypal splitting...

Does that mean PayPal will no longer be required for eBay purchases? Also curious what this will do for eBay disputes. Will there be a separate eBay and PayPal dispute resolution process now?

Does this mean I can sell something on ebay and actually keep some of the money myself now?

Amazon: That simple, is it?
Col. Andy Tanner: Or maybe somebody just forget what it was like.
Amazont: ...Well, who *is* on our side?
Col. Andy Tanner: Six hundred million screaming Chinamen.
Darryl Bates: Last I heard, there were a billion screaming Chinamen.
Col. Andy Tanner: There *were*.

I've found that buying from their Aliexpress site is a lot easier as its geared to the end user purchasing smaller quantaties of items rather than B2B on Alibaba, also payments to the supplier can also be embargoed until you receive the item in good condition and if not you can raise a dispute.

Cheers

This planned split is actually being accelerated due to ApplePay. That is what is driving this because if it becomes a standard, then guess what, paypal may see irrelevancy.

Alibaba is great if you want to connect with manufacturers. But the site does have a learning curve on how to navigate the counterfeits and trading cos.

Alibaba is full of fraud. No doubt about it.
But if you want to be a vendor of Chinese goods; that is where you can start but you have to be very careful.
Also the other services offered for "#1 best fraud protection" is a joke. They turn a blind eye to fraudulent sellers just like Ebay always has.

Amazon: That simple, is it?
Col. Andy Tanner: Or maybe somebody just forget what it was like.
Amazont: ...Well, who *is* on our side?
Col. Andy Tanner: Six hundred million screaming Chinamen.
Darryl Bates: Last I heard, there were a billion screaming Chinamen.
Col. Andy Tanner: There *were*.

Sorry I dont get it?

I actually don't see why that would even happen when buying off of Alibaba.. the box of rocks I mean.

I read through all their terms before I ordered, and it clearly states that the seller's funds will not be released until the buyer verifies that they received the goods.. or after not hearing from the seller for a specific number of days after the tracking says it was delivered.

Yea, I would love to explain but a) not being the neighbor, he just explained it to me
and b) If you search the web you`ll see what I mean that fraud in general isnt something rarely happening on alibaba.

Express seems to be their response, but the sellers keep finding new ways apparently

This planned split is actually being accelerated due to ApplePay. That is what is driving this because if it becomes a standard, then guess what, paypal may see irrelevancy.

Um, no.

Its being split because Paypal has become a large enough company that it no longer needs eBay as its parent like it did early on. Paypal is the payment source for something like 15% of all online purchases. Paypal got too big for eBay to continue to manage and their goals are not the aligned. The spin-off is so each company can focus on what it does best.

Does this mean I can sell something on ebay and actually keep some of the money myself now?
Hell no. They might even tack on a fee for you just saying that. They'll call it a services rendered fee. Just a $1 (per half a transaction) though.

ebay is cashing out.

valuation is high, competition is going to ramp up like crazy soon because of apple pay and the impending adoption of NFC over the next few years. Wait will all credit cards have microchips, another hit to paypal.

also don't forget about bitcoin. A world exists where google wants in on transaction fees. and if the banks or CCs don't wanna dance with that, well google might just say fuck it and adopt bitcoin.

Geez take off your Apple blinders.

Um, no.

Its being split because Paypal has become a large enough company that it no longer needs eBay as its parent like it did early on. Paypal is the payment source for something like 15% of all online purchases. Paypal got too big for eBay to continue to manage and their goals are not the aligned. The spin-off is so each company can focus on what it does best.
^ This. eBay continues to fade, while PayPal continues to expand.

Few people are going to adopt proprietary ApplePay that 1. only works with iPhones 2. Costs $500 in machine upgrades by retailers 3. requires a fingerprint scan every time to make a payment. The NFC chip they are using has been around for years and has failed to catch on.

Geez take off your Apple blinders.

^ This. eBay continues to fade, while PayPal continues to expand.

Few people are going to adopt proprietary ApplePay that 1. only works with iPhones 2. Costs $500 in machine upgrades by retailers 3. requires a fingerprint scan every time to make a payment. The NFC chip they are using has been around for years and has failed to catch on.
The difference between past implementations of NFC and ApplePay is that Apple can guarantee revenue from its user base and it has the statistics to back that claim up.

I just hope that PayPal stays as good as it has been for these years. I have used them heavily over the years and had great success. Collecting clan dues, server payments web site payments and thousands of online purchases. Any time I had a problem they were quick to action and resolution.

This is a sign of the end times for sure.

I spent 1/2 hour on Alibaba because a couple buds raved about it a few years ago. I have never been back since. Site was a damn mess.

I kinda miss Paypal. Last time I used it was in 2005 when some knuckle head CONNED me out of a video card plus money, which he was able to do and left me with a negative balance on paypal since 2005.

Maybe PayPal will finally be regulated as a fucking bank, like it should have been for years.

Paypal split is linked to as others have said PayPal has future growth potential then eBay. Ebay is suffering according to Icahn whose been put the pressure on this deal.

However the grass may not be greener on the other side. PayPal is now leaving the guaranteed business ebay in a market that is reacting to Apple's huge potential Apple pay. If PayPal wants to survive and be on top it needs to rebuke the enormous market potential Apple is hanging over big payment processors and CC companies with device integration of their payment system.

Gonna be interesting

My money is on them moving one of the companies off shore so they don't have to pay taxes.

I just hope that PayPal stays as good as it has been for these years. I have used them heavily over the years and had great success. Collecting clan dues, server payments web site payments and thousands of online purchases. Any time I had a problem they were quick to action and resolution.

This is a sign of the end times for sure.
Agreed. Horror stories about PayPal are ubiquitous, but they have been very good to me. For better than ten years 99.9% of my income has come through PayPal, and the couple of times I've had issues it was quickly sorted out in my favor.

ebay is cashing out.

valuation is high, competition is going to ramp up like crazy soon because of apple pay and the impending adoption of NFC over the next few years. Wait will all credit cards have microchips, another hit to paypal.

also don't forget about bitcoin. A world exists where google wants in on transaction fees. and if the banks or CCs don't wanna dance with that, well google might just say fuck it and adopt bitcoin.

You're mentioning 'in person' anti-fraud technologies making an online anti-fraud technology obsolete?? Ok. Maybe if we switch from Sig, to PIN and have the PIN enforced online, it might do some harm to paypal's business. But we could have switched to PIN a long time ago, that never really required the chip. I'm suspicious when we do chip here, they may not impliment PIN. The totally garbages most of the security improvement in person and all of it for online use, imho.

Back