Samsung Has More Employees Than Google, Apple, and Microsoft Combined

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy moly! I knew Samsung was big but I didn't know they were bigger than all these companies combined. :eek:

What is Samsung doing with all those people? Well, for starters, the company has a shocking number of software engineers: 40,506 as of 2013. That's almost an entire Google's-worth of people making software. Actually, consider that Google's employee breakdown only lists 18,593 people in "research and development" (read: making software), and it seems Samsung has twice as many software engineers as Google. This army of software engineers is a fairly recent development for Samsung. The software headcount has grown 45 percent since 2011.

That isn't surprising at all. Samsung actually builds products. Apple contrary to popular belief contracts out the overwhelming majority of its manufacturing as do the others.

This one paragraph sums it up. "Besides the usual Samsung Electronics product roster of phones, tablets, wearables, semiconductors, display panels, TVs, laptops, printers, cameras, home theaters, and home appliances, Samsung Group makes gigantic container ships, arctic ice breakers, self-propelled howitzers, credit cards, oil-refining plants, power plants, wind turbines, water treatment facilities, steel mills, life insurance, theme parks, ultrasound machines, X-ray scanners, Aperture Science-style robotic machine-gun sentries, and the world's tallest skyscrapers (like the Burj Khalifa)."

I knew they made a lot of stuff other than electronics, but didn't know they made this much stuff, heh.

Yep. Samsung could shut down a single significant product line and still be a very profitable company. MS, Apple, Google ... they'd all be hurting pretty bad if they shut down any of their significant revenue streams. Apple can't afford to shut down, say, their iPad line or iPhone line but Samsung could drop their phones in a heartbeat and still be making buckets of money.

This one paragraph sums it up. "Besides the usual Samsung Electronics product roster of phones, tablets, wearables, semiconductors, display panels, TVs, laptops, printers, cameras, home theaters, and home appliances, Samsung Group makes gigantic container ships, arctic ice breakers, self-propelled howitzers, credit cards, oil-refining plants, power plants, wind turbines, water treatment facilities, steel mills, life insurance, theme parks, ultrasound machines, X-ray scanners, Aperture Science-style robotic machine-gun sentries, and the world's tallest skyscrapers (like the Burj Khalifa)."

I knew they made a lot of stuff other than electronics, but didn't know they made this much stuff, heh.

Living in South Korea, you'll see Samsung almost everywhere. Samsung Everland is a pretty nice theme park to visit. The Samsung electronics stores tend to be mesh between Sony & Apple stores. I don't have much experience with the rest of their empire though.

They make so much stuff now days. I don't recall seeing anywhere near the products Samsung has around today when I was kid. I had to look, but apparently they have been making refrigerators for a good while now, but I don't recall seeing them en masse until maybe about the turn of the century. As popular as their washers are now, I can't recall ever seeing one as a kid.

My question is how Samsung got so big and diverse. The founder must be a genius, right.

Kudos to Samsung for making a positive impact on world employment.

Wonder if they'll ever get into the automobile business. Very happy with South Korean Hankook tires after bad experience with Good Year switching production from Germany to China. Would consider giving Samsung auto a try over Hyundai and Kia.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised that Samsung is a big company....they make stereos, TVs, camera's, appliances, computers, etc. Not only do they make good cell phones, their TV's are pretty good too.

With the way Sony is bleeding money, Samsung will have move than all four combine.

Honestly, Sony is basically a result of mismanagement and poor decisions. Sony always wants to use proprietary tech, and makes things options that other companies include out of the box (remotes, cables, etc.). Their stuff (generally good) is also usually priced higher than comparable products from others.

Samsung is the biggest corporate tech conglomerate in the world.

Samsung makes construction and oil drilling equipment. Just those two divisions would net it more employees than Google and Apple.

That's because here in America it is considered better to fuck the American worker by downsizing the workforce and shipping jobs over seas and investing millions in automation to replace people in the workplace. Wonder how they expect us to buy the shit they make when nobody has a paycheck to pay for it? American Corporations don't give a fuck about America or its citizens! Just ask the Cayman Islands banks. :rolleyes:

My question is how Samsung got so big and diverse. The founder must be a genius, right.
No anti-trust busting is how, very diverse companies like that are normally under foul play scrutiny. Which frankly outside of korea samsung is always under trouble for but they just pay off fines which don't really hurt them and keep on keeping on.

They even make military hardware: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K9_Thunder

They're basically everything in Korea. Competition is nonexistent there, you'd be hard pressed to find a more corrupt monopoly.
They aren't a monopoly in korea just close to it, it's more like a duopoly in a lot of the industries they are in. But they may not really compete for each other in the same exact markets similar to how ISPs don't really compete with each other.

Back