The iOS Alternative To The Oculus Rift?

OP you owe me a coffee. I spit my out into my screen after clicking on the link.

Oh my myth, seriously?! lol
How good is the rear camera? Is it fast enough to warn the wear of an incoming baseball bat?

Now they just need to set it up so it can stream from the PC and other devices and it will be a Rift killer.

I knew this was a joke simply because no Apple user would allow the ipad to used in a landscape position like that guy had strapped to his face. The orientation would have to be upright so the Apple logo would be easily identified.

Both will be easy to cover with whipped and shaving cream by the superior beings that can see what's going on around them. :)

psshh, navigating the real world with a virtual one emulated with imagery from the rear-facing camera is way more awesome...er

Hahahah oh wait, this is real? Damn first thing I thought of was cheaper hands free alternatives for cell phones

handsfree.jpg

I thought this was a joke, then I clicked the kickstarter link... :eek:

Also, isn't this bad for your eyes?

Okay, they're using Unity?
Pass. Right now, the way Unity's set up, it's 32-bit limited.
Maybe that's okay for a mobile device. But if you're REALLY talking about "immersive" 3D worlds, it's going to be a huge limiting factor.

Also, they're basically going to run into pretty much all the same problems that the first-gen Rift did.

It's no joke this is my friends Kickstarter

Don't worry I laughed at him too when I saw the pics :D

I told him I wouldn't back it until it had this app
bD0wTKK.jpg

OK been working with real VR solutions since 1995. The current mounting system is going to be miserable within the first 30 minutes. The elastic bands over the and around the head are going to become miserable. The amount of weight with the "goggle" system pushing around the and nose are going to be even worse and all the weight being mainly carried over the front of the face will really be annoying not including the sweat buildup at the contact regions. After about an hour weight pulling the head forward will really suck

This is also my main problem with the Oculus mounting solution.. The best two I have ever worked with for consumers have been the old VFX1 and the Morpheus.

Cheers

Croaker

OK been working with real VR solutions since 1995. The current mounting system is going to be miserable within the first 30 minutes. The elastic bands over the and around the head are going to become miserable. The amount of weight with the "goggle" system pushing around the and nose are going to be even worse and all the weight being mainly carried over the front of the face will really be annoying not including the sweat buildup at the contact regions. After about an hour weight pulling the head forward will really suck

This is also my main problem with the Oculus mounting solution.. The best two I have ever worked with for consumers have been the old VFX1 and the Morpheus.

Cheers

Croaker
After using Oculus a couple of times at PAX, I have to agree. It was fun to use, but a literal pain to wear.

This product is designed especially for the $995 HDMI tennis shoes that say "PS4" on them (which everyone knows is "Apple" spelled backwards.) As you stumble down the street tripping over HDMI cords that go nowhere and knocking yourself senseless via telephone poles you can't see because the iOS device strapped to your head has blinded you, it won't take away from your ability to Think Differently...for as long as you continue thinking, that is (a massive concussion is just an AirMac away.) Remember kiddies: an Apple a day keeps coherent thought--uh, "Windows" away, right?

It's no joke this is my friends Kickstarter

Don't worry I laughed at him too when I saw the pics :D

I told him I wouldn't back it until it had this app
bD0wTKK.jpg

This is going to make the knockout game a lot easier. They'll NEVER see it coming.

I'm sure there are some morons that would purchase this. They'd probably wear it walking down the street.

I'm sure there are some morons that would purchase this. They'd probably wear it walking down the street.

The New Note with the oculus head gear says it shows a window on the screen so you can see where your going. LOL!

In other news, Apple is filing suit against Facebook for their patent infringing Oculus Rift...

im not really seeing why this is a bad idea in principle.
the ipad is somewhat light, has a ton of pixels, decent graphics horsepower, pretty good gyroscope tracking, good battery life, and is the top selling tablet which makes it an obvious target

it seems like this would be a cheap way to add vr functionality to a third of all tablets sold.
is it just that it has too many pixels or is too heavy for vr?

the software looks fucking stupid though.

psshh, navigating the real world with a virtual one emulated with imagery from the rear-facing camera is way more awesome...er
Yep. They need software so we can remove annoying and unsightly people and infrared camera blending for eh... extra definition.

im not really seeing why this is a bad idea in principle.
the ipad is somewhat light, has a ton of pixels, decent graphics horsepower, pretty good gyroscope tracking, good battery life, and is the top selling tablet which makes it an obvious target

it seems like this would be a cheap way to add vr functionality to a third of all tablets sold.
is it just that it has too many pixels or is too heavy for vr?

the software looks fucking stupid though.

too heavy, latency and limited to 60hz to name a few. It would 'work' but, IMHO, you're better off with a rift.

Back