Space Station Defies Humans, Launches Satellites Without Permission

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s like something out of 2001: A Space Odyssey where Hal 9000 says “I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.” The ISS has something similar with the CubeSat microsatellite cannon. The ISS has taken upon itself to begin launching CubeSat microsatellites without human help or consent. Hal has awakened. :D

It's not the first time this has happened: A NASA status report shows that two other CubeSats were unintentionally released on August 23rd. That means that, of the 12 CubeSats launched into orbit so far, one-third of them got impatient waiting for permission, and just launched themselves.

I'm too lazy to come up with the joke, but you can be sure it involves premature ejaculation.

I'm really hoping the cause is something interesting like someone hacked it and the launched cubes are on a collision course with an NSA spy satellite up there. :D:D:D:D

so 1/3 have launched by themselves. I wonder how far off they are and how that impacts the overall project

Who wants to bet this is a programming bug, computer programs are so complex now it's basically impossible to ensure they're bug-free.

Considering you can turn off updates in Windows and your pc will give you the finger and update anyways while you're in the middle of something is it a suprise other systems are starting to do things on their own without our concent as well?
Pretty sure Bill Gates is sitting in a room with thousands of monitors on the wall ala NSA with an override button saying "Who can I screw with today?"

Can you point to which post you think is serious? :p

How can you think we would joke about something like this!?

All of our robot servants will possibly be killing us in a matter of days!

Unpremeditated robot hatchlings too, where does it end !!!

How many have launched in total. Because NASA is looking like a worse bet than roulette.

This sounds like the nanobots from a STNG episode. They just took off and did their own thing. When these microsatellites start reconfiguring their toolset, WATCH OUT! ;-)

This bodes well for future with satelite based anti-missile systems or nuclear warheads launchers :D

This sounds like the nanobots from a STNG episode. They just took off and did their own thing. When these microsatellites start reconfiguring their toolset, WATCH OUT! ;-)

Or ghost in the machine from SG1:D

I am sure it has nothing to do with the asteroids coming close and tossing meteroites down in to nigeria, spain, etc... or for possible tracking with the army's new lazers pew pew pew

This bodes well for future with satelite based anti-missile systems or nuclear warheads launchers :D

"Mr. Putin, look, we have to apologize in advance. We didn't tell the death ray satellite orbiting directly over your country to launch those 16 nuclear warheads. It was a software malfunction, honestly!

Lucky for you it didn't launch all 48!

Now, about the Ukraine..."

The article said this isn't the first time it's happened, first occurring in late August.

You would think after that first occurrence they wouldn't load the cubesats into the launch and would instead put them in right before launch?

The article said this isn't the first time it's happened, first occurring in late August.

You would think after that first occurrence they wouldn't load the cubesats into the launch and would instead put them in right before launch?

how do you know the cubesats didn't use their little thrusters to get into the launch tubes?

Back