13 Year Old Kid: Linus Torvalds Is My Hero

If you check what Torvalds did when everyone was looking to cash in on their OS Linus understood that there was a problem. The way "he" tackled the whole Operating System is something which in our lifetime we won't see again.

When Linus asked for help (back in 1990s) he couldn't have dreamed it end up looking like it is today.

Yesterday was the 23rd anniversary of Linus Torvalds' first Linux post!!

images_q_tbn_ANd9_Gc_TBYUop_JP2_Yr_KXZUs_RXJVZFLwv_WE5.jpg

Someone needs to let this kid know about vaginas. Just saying...

Being 13, he probably doesn't understand Linus's rants, or how ridiculous they usually are when you aren't conforming. By college, he'll be off idolizing someone else, probably an Oracle developer at this rate :p

286bd4475b16dadb7d459344ce2edbb4.jpg

...and there was his response to the kid....

just kidding, that's an old pic :p

When you compare this kid to the millions of others who idolize brutes who beat the crap out of each other on the gridiron or the ring only to have the mental abilities of a spud later on in life, I say he could be doing much much worse.
Besides, that kid is one of the many who have a great chance of influencing anything in the wide field of IT.

When you compare this kid to the millions of others who idolize brutes who beat the crap out of each other on the gridiron or the ring only to have the mental abilities of a spud later on in life, I say he could be doing much much worse.
Besides, that kid is one of the many who have a great chance of influencing anything in the wide field of IT.

Excellent point.

Any kid that loves this stuff enough to idolize Torvalds is going to stay in the industry. At least he'll love the work, unlike many others I see that enjoy the paycheck only. We need more kids like him. Truly passionate about computers.

...so i was browsing [h] at my college and scrolled down to your post. I was sitting in the front row.

thanks buddy.:eek:

haha! should be listening to the lecturer :D

Yeah this kid is going to go far..just not with the ladies

Any kid that loves this stuff enough to idolize Torvalds is going to stay in the industry. At least he'll love the work, unlike many others I see that enjoy the paycheck only. We need more kids like him. Truly passionate about computers.

I agree. I remember sharing his sentiments and enthusiasm when I was his age around 15 years ago. There's truly hope for us all in our industry, ergo hope for humanity, knowing that there's still some bright young minds interested in computing.

Well done Linus too for taking the time to meet and greet this guy; it'll be a day the kid should remember for a long time to come.

Tim Berners-Lee and Douglas Engelbart are a couple more computer heroes. Though both deceased now.

There's a lot of reasons why I like Linus and Woz. Both first off are active in their respective communities. I have to admit, I had to Google both those guys to know what great things they've done. They hide under rocks and don't appear until their obituaries are in newspapers.

Linus though is still working in his field and doing a great thing for the world. He could easily work for a big name corporation and make absurd amounts of money, but he still continues to work on Linux. As much as Microsoft and Apple fans hate to admit, Linux makes the world go round.

Also anyone remember Bill Gates? Another person that did great things in computing and seems to hide until something stupid has to be done. I get more insight out of Gabe Newell than Bill Gates nowadays. BTW both are more business men than computer scientists, but Gabe has a lot more insight in the industry than Bill.

bill-gates-ice-bucket-challenge.jpg

As much as Microsoft and Apple fans hate to admit, Linux makes the world go round.

Also anyone remember Bill Gates? Another person that did great things in computing and seems to hide until something stupid has to be done. I get more insight out of Gabe Newell than Bill Gates nowadays. BTW both are more business men than computer scientists, but Gabe has a lot more insight in the industry than Bill.

Yeah, .5% of the PC's in the world are ENTIRELY what make the world a functional place, versus the ~90% of the rest of the world that is on Windows? Linux has its place, which is primarily limited to back end hardware and equipment. If the entire world was back end, most of what you see on the internet wouldn't exist...because it was created using front end software!

And FWIW, Bill Gates was a total nerd and an OG computer scientist, during the days where computers were built in people's garages. It's pretty widely known that both him and the Woz knew what they were doing at the engineering level, both in terms of hardware and software. His pancake sorting algorithm is still one of the fastest in existence, something he devised entirely on his own. Bill became a very successful businessman, he but he was an engineer first.

Yeah, .5% of the PC's in the world are ENTIRELY what make the world a functional place, versus the ~90% of the rest of the world that is on Windows? Linux has its place, which is primarily limited to back end hardware and equipment. If the entire world was back end, most of what you see on the internet wouldn't exist...because it was created using front end software!
Make no mistake, Linus wants the desktop.

"But — darn it! — Linux still doesn't rule the PC desktop. Linux kernel developer Greg Kroah-Hartman asked Torvalds where he thinks Linux should go next. Torvalds replied "I still want the desktop." The sympathetic audience applauded him."
And FWIW, Bill Gates was a total nerd and an OG computer scientist, during the days where computers were built in people's garages. It's pretty widely known that both him and the Woz knew what they were doing at the engineering level, both in terms of hardware and software. His pancake sorting algorithm is still one of the fastest in existence, something he devised entirely on his own. Bill became a very successful businessman, he but he was an engineer first.
Not saying he wasn't but he doesn't really interact with the community. Gabe Newell will go out and sit down and talk to schools about computing.

Yeah, .5% of the PC's in the world are ENTIRELY what make the world a functional place, versus the ~90% of the rest of the world that is on Windows? Linux has its place, which is primarily limited to back end hardware and equipment.

The computer of choice for most these days is the smartphone, where Linux (Android) has 84.7% market share while Windows has fallen to 2.5%. Android also dominates on tablets. In June 40% of enterprise laptops sold were Chromebooks. Windows is not what most people are using. Most people are trying to avoid it nowadays.

Linux is also the choice for servers, embedded devices, and supercomputers.

Being 13, he probably doesn't understand Linus's rants, or how ridiculous they usually are when you aren't conforming. By college, he'll be off idolizing someone else, probably an Oracle developer at this rate :p

And you would suggest that you know what he is talking about. You can say a lot about what happens when Linus opens his mouth but you should not deny what he accomplished.

The computer of choice for most these days is the smartphone, where Linux (Android) has 84.7% market share while Windows has fallen to 2.5%. Android also dominates on tablets. In June 40% of enterprise laptops sold were Chromebooks. Windows is not what most people are using. Most people are trying to avoid it nowadays.

Linux is also the choice for servers, embedded devices, and supercomputers.

People aren't choosing Android because it's based on Linux, they choose it because it's the only viable mobile OS alternative to iOS. And when it comes to laptops, people buy the cheapest laptop they can find, and Chromebooks undercut Windows machines by a huge margin, so that's not surprising in the least.

Furthermore, a months worth of PC laptop sales don't account for the greater trend that business PC's are still largely Windows-based by a massive margin. In business, Windows is what most people are using. And there are no statistics stating that "most people are trying to avoid [Windows] nowadays", that's entirely your opinion. A statement closer to fact would be most home users buy whatever the cheapest platform is that does what they need it to do. Businesses, however, are still massively invested in the Windows environment, and cannot afford to entirely move away from it.

Windows is not going to see a massive migration in the business community anytime soon.

And people didn't choose Windows because they liked it. They had to use it for their job, it came on the PC they bought, or it was cheaper than an Apple PC.

Back