VMware, NVIDIA and Google Collaborate On Cloud Computing

HardOCP News

[H] News
Today at VMworld 2014, VMware, NVIDIA and Google announced a collaborative effort to deliver high-performance virtual desktops and workstation-class graphics to Google Chromebooks. Showcased as a technology preview, the solution demonstrates the next generation of VMware Blast Performance and NVIDIA GRID™ vGPU™ technology to satisfy customers' most demanding visual computing needs. The joint effort is expected to expand the hardware options for high-performance virtual desktops, enabling customers to select their system of choice without compromise.

Should be an interesting collaboration, as each company is the market leader in their core market.

Should be a terrible collaboration, as nobody wants cloud computing.

Indeed. And nobody, besides clueless people, wants their games rendered "on the cloud". It's coming, though. The fucking masses...

Should be an interesting collaboration, as each company is the market leader in their core market.

I agree but I predict a fiery death as each tries to manipulate & take control of any intellectual property involved.

Indeed. And nobody, besides clueless people, wants their games rendered "on the cloud". It's coming, though. The fucking masses...

I really doubt that cloud computing will ever bear fruit. Unless it's free or dirt cheap, nobody is going to want it. But we all know that it's going to come with a hefty price. It won't make sense for consumers.

I agree but I predict a fiery death as each tries to manipulate & take control of any intellectual property involved.

Yeah, I don't see anything good coming out of this either. Each one of those companies traditionally will want the biggest piece of the pie.

Is this in an alternative universe where Adobe is actually making full versions of their software for Chrome OS?

Is this in an alternative universe where Adobe is actually making full versions of their software for Chrome OS?
Maybe it's a universe where someone's trying to provide Adobe with a compelling reason to make said full versions.

I really doubt that cloud computing will ever bear fruit. Unless it's free or dirt cheap, nobody is going to want it. But we all know that it's going to come with a hefty price. It won't make sense for consumers.

Even if it's free or cheap, it won't go anywhere until all of the various bandwidth issues are dealt with. If you don't have fast, stable internet access, something like this is a study in frustration.
That said, I can see it being attractive in a corporate environment when run on a private network.

Even if it's free or cheap, it won't go anywhere until all of the various bandwidth issues are dealt with. If you don't have fast, stable internet access, something like this is a study in frustration.
That said, I can see it being attractive in a corporate environment when run on a private network.

Which makes cloud computing just a dumb way to label company IT resources that aren't local to the computer the user is sitting at.

Back