World Class Password FAIL of the Day

ehhe... although hardly the first time they've taken pictures/video at various sports venues only to show the password for all to see.

an admin for a company we took over would force everyone to use very complicated passwords that they would then print out and hang on the walls.. usually clearly visible to others walking by

*SIGH*

Most likely it's a guest network with internet only access, no internal access. Just a way for employees for get on VPN

an admin for a company we took over would force everyone to use very complicated passwords that they would then print out and hang on the walls.. usually clearly visible to others walking by

*SIGH*

That's the problem with complicated passwords, you are generally better off keeping them somewhat simple/easy to remember, and having as few passwords as possible.

That's the problem with complicated passwords, you are generally better off keeping them somewhat simple/easy to remember, and having as few passwords as possible.

Yep, better to use the same simple password for everything.

This reminds me of my workplace.
You can flip over most of the keyboards at work and get anyone's password. The managers suggested that was a good place to put them. We are also required to have all of our pcs protected with full disk encryption, and with the exception of a few laptops, every desktop pc has the same password and it's posted all over our department. Some even have it taped to the bottom of their monitors.

It's all sad really.

This reminds me of my workplace.
You can flip over most of the keyboards at work and get anyone's password. The managers suggested that was a good place to put them. We are also required to have all of our pcs protected with full disk encryption, and with the exception of a few laptops, every desktop pc has the same password and it's posted all over our department. Some even have it taped to the bottom of their monitors.

It's all sad really.

The average literacy level is 8th grade, slightly elevated in some workspaces. What do you expect when you get people that can barely find a phone dialer in a smartphone and ask them to remember at least 10 PW's rotating over 90days for work alone?

Or perhaps it could be a major troll and it forwards your ip to a picture of dick butt.

"What do you expect when you get people that can barely find a phone dialer in a smartphone"

This just happened to me two days ago, her daughter removed it and she was going nuts trying to call people, "OMG I can only receive incoming calls! Please help Mr. IT!" /sigh

We have a client who uses the same password for every account in an AD environment. This week they wanted to change permissions on their shares so that certain users would/would not have access to certain files. I used the opportunity to tell them, "sure, we can change the permissions around, but it's completely pointless since you all use the same passwords, and all someone has to do is ask (or guess) someone's username and they have access." The boss agreed and allowed me to prompt for a new password.

5 minutes later the bitching from users started. I told them to forget everything they've been taught about passwords and to use a passphrase that is longer, easier to remember, and more secure. This did not compute, and if I didn't enforce password history I guarantee 100% of them would choose the old password. It's mindboggling, nobody wants to get "hacked" but are unwilling to take even the most simple steps to prevent it from happening.

I highly doubt that a wifi network titled 'worldcup' is a closed/secured corporate network. Nothing to see here, just clickbait.

You would be suprised at what some people set up.

If it is open..why have a password at all and one that long?

You would be suprised at what some people set up.

If it is open..why have a password at all and one that long?
Because you still don't want a public and open network. Something like a 'guest' network. Happens all the time for work networks, my company does this; two completely segregated networks, one 'internal corporate' used by authenticated employees, and a second, 'guest' network. You still want a network key because you don't necessarily want drive-byers leeching our want a modicum of security, legit guests/patrons. I don't get what is so perplexing about it.

Back