AMD Catalyst 14.6 RC Is Now Available

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at AMD sent word that the new AMD Catalyst 14.6 RC2 driver is now available. Feature highlights include:

Plants vs. Zombies (Direct3D performance improvements):
  • AMD Radeon R9 290X - 1920x1080 Ultra – improves up to 11%
  • AMD Radeon R9290X - 2560x1600 Ultra – improves up to 15%
  • AMD Radeon R9290X CrossFire configuration (3840x2160 Ultra) - 92% scaling

3DMark Sky Diver improvements:
  • AMD A4 6300 – improves up to 4%
  • Enables AMD Dual Graphics / AMD CrossFire support

Grid Auto Sport:
  • AMD CrossFire profile
  • Wildstar:
  • Power Xpress profile
  • Performance improvements to improve smoothness of application

Watch Dogs:
  • AMD CrossFire – Frame pacing improvements

Battlefield Hardline Beta:
  • AMD CrossFire profile

here's hoping it makes watch dogs Xfire work better... as well as lets me mine like 14.4 does.

Plants vs. Zombies (Direct3D performance improvements):
AMD Radeon R9 290X - 1920x1080 Ultra – improves up to 11%
AMD Radeon R9290X - 2560x1600 Ultra – improves up to 15%
AMD Radeon R9290X CrossFire configuration (3840x2160 Ultra) - 92% scaling

Oh good, I could never get enough performance out of Plants vs Zombies...:rolleyes:

I assume they must mean Garden Warfare.

Thank you very much for posting Steve.

Please use the Issue Reporting Form to report any bugs and make sure to read the the Known Issues section to learn more about this driver.
Can I ask why you dont allow the download page to scroll up/down with scripting turned off?
I havent come across another page on the internet that does this.

still stutters on my un-modded steam version of WD. (290x lightings in CF, 1600P, ultra).

I also conferm that I still get a flickering sky with temporal AA in CF. (which is a noted known issue)

I'm not sure what happened, but stuttering in watch dogs is like 100x worse now.

CCC still doesn't work with this release either, seems broken since the 14.6s appeared (for me at least)

So far so good. The previous version would black screen then lock the computer (I could see a keyboard app in the keyboard screen still functioning for a few seconds) Didn't happen in games, just 2D apps.

14.6RC1 has been rock stable on all my machines, and nothing useful for me in this release notes so I'll be skipping this one.

I just rolled back to RC1.

1) My OC went from no voltage 1100 down to 1050. With +100 in afterburner I could get 1250, no longer could do that. Didn't feel like wasting time to find out where I could go.
2) I got some black screens
3) Cards seem to be a 2-3 degrees hotter.

1) My OC went from no voltage 1100 down to 1050. With +100 in afterburner I could get 1250, no longer could do that. Didn't feel like wasting time to find out where I could go

I lost 50mhz on my core ever since I went from 14.4 to all releases 14.6

I lost 50mhz on my core ever since I went from 14.4 to all releases 14.6

Have you tried an extral O/C'ing app to make sure that the Power Limit is staying at the full 50? I personally don't use CCC to O/C (not saying you do) and I haven't seen this issue.

Hi,

I'm having trouble running the bezel compensation with these drivers on 3x1 eyefinity portrait mode. In landscape, it runs fine. It was also fine on 14.4.

GPUs are crossfired 290s.

Hey, i have noticed a slight improvement on 3dMark FireStrike score with the beta drivers (compared to 14.4) around 300pts.

Anyone else getting graphical artifacts with this driver? It produces symptoms like when you overclock the gpu too much. If I install the 14.4 driver they aren't there.

Edit: I've read reports elswhere that others are having graphics corruption with the 14.6 drivers as well.

Last edited:
Running crossfire 290's,no graphical artifacts here @1200/1600 or stock. Also great drivers.

Found a cause of a terrible performance in WildStar with R9 290:
BF4 - Core clock stays at 980MHz
Wildstar - core clock jumps up and down, never at maxiumum, usually around 600MHz.
What the hell?

eGWBQiD.png

Found a cause of a terrible performance in WildStar with R9 290:
BF4 - Core clock stays at 980MHz
Wildstar - core clock jumps up and down, never at maxiumum, usually around 600MHz.
What the hell?

eGWBQiD.png

Isn't it due to bugs on Carbines end. I heard it's old beta files in the game that screwing up Frame rates.

Isn't it due to bugs on Carbines end. I heard it's old beta files in the game that screwing up Frame rates.

It is really weird. I know that 290 downclocks according to the GPU load and it seems that Wildstar does nor load the video card that much, but the downclocking ends up too aggressive, causing massive frame rate drops. Also Wildstar's GPU load is not even - so the card does not return to the proper GPU speed in time to render things on time.

Is there anything you can run in the background to force the GPU to be at full speed?

Is there anything you can run in the background to force the GPU to be at full speed?

thats a good question to ask and for one would like to know as well? I have herd of apps for nvidia cards but not for amd ones yet........would be cool if there was

Radeon Pro, there is an option to force full 3d clocks either globally or on a game by game basis.

Radeon Pro, there is an option to force full 3d clocks either globally or on a game by game basis.

That was great on the 7xxx series and lower, but the new behavior of the R9 series ignores that. I tried forcing it when Metro Last Light was making my 290x downclock to 700mhz, and it made absolutely zero difference.

Forcing the clock I set to be constant? It will work with AB if I set its unofficial overclocking mode to 2. Some people have told me they have to use older revisions of AB to get it to stick.

Thought the black screen lockups were gone. Still happening, not when I play games, only happens in 2D apps.

That was great on the 7xxx series and lower, but the new behavior of the R9 series ignores that. I tried forcing it when Metro Last Light was making my 290x downclock to 700mhz, and it made absolutely zero difference.

i had no problem with it on the reference 290 pro.

edit: just tried it on SOSE, works fine on my vapor-x

are you sure you hit apply after you turned it on? its one of the few screens in RP that requires saving.

Last edited:
Its a a voltage issue with elpida ram on some cards. The vcore drops dynamically but at times it is not enough to sustain the memory at the clock rates, thus causing a crash, running constant voltage can fix this.

Thought the black screen lockups were gone. Still happening, not when I play games, only happens in 2D apps.

Its a a voltage issue with elpida ram on some cards. The vcore drops dynamically but at times it is not enough to sustain the memory at the clock rates, thus causing a crash, running constant voltage can fix this.

With the old drivers when I first installed the card it never did this. I have changed it to constant voltage, we'll see what happens, thanks.

Back