Amazon Adds Music Streaming To Prime

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess this will help soften the blow of the recent $20 price hike for Amazon Prime.

With Prime Music, Prime members have unlimited, ad-free access to over a million songs at no additional cost to their membership. Prime Music includes tens of thousands of albums from top artists like Daft Punk, P!nk, Bruno Mars, Blake Shelton, The Lumineers, Bruce Springsteen and Madonna. And we’re just getting started—more music is being added all the time. Prime members can choose exactly which songs and albums to listen to, or they can sit back and listen to hundreds of expert-programmed Prime Playlists. Discovering music is easy thanks to Amazon’s personalized recommendations. Music fans will find tons of music they’ll love, from Grammy winners to indie breakout singers, along with a huge music catalog that can easily be combined with their own collection. Prime members can also download songs from the Prime Music catalog to their mobile devices for offline playback on planes, trains and anywhere they’re without an internet connection.

If they're allowing offline play, I'll have to test it out. I wonder what format they're using & if DRM will be packaged with it.

OR

It's the reason for the price increase.

Either way - prime is still a big value for me. We stream from it quite a bit, and save a bundle on shipping. 2 day shipping is also very nice. I'm still on board.

Lets see. $20 for a music service you don't want. Which one makes me happier. I KNOW. Ebay makes me happier.

This means I may be able to kill off my $7.99 a month gmusic if it's good enough. We'll see.

This may be a good way for me to cut costs.

Right now i'm using spotify @ $4.99 a month (student discount) and netflix @ $7.99 a month.

If I sign up for full amazon prime @ $49.99 (student discount) a year I will be saving a good amount of money in the long run, so perhaps i'll have to look into it. Not to mention, free 2 day shipping on pretty much everything on amazon seems like a damn good deal for me.

I hate how I don't get anything because my Prime subscription is shared.

I love Amazon and I love Prime. My wife purchased Prime and gifted those benefits to me, however it doesn't apply to this. Maybe I will switch from Google Play if it's good enough.

Well this is pretty darn big for me. I love music! I guess I will renew my subscription. Way to go Amazon!

I love Amazon and I love Prime. My wife purchased Prime and gifted those benefits to me, however it doesn't apply to this. Maybe I will switch from Google Play if it's good enough.
Why don't you just use the same login? We split the Amazon account with coworkers and distribute the cost evenly.

Only the primary account holder gets access to the Video and now the Audio service. The add on people just get the shipping benefits.

.....right which is exactly why I told him to start his own account and share it with others?

I do this same shit, the others under me don't care about the other features so it works out, well except for one as of recent that may want to start using them so will be starting his own account soon.

Guess I should have said split the costs vs share, same thing depending on how you interpret it I guess.

Why don't you just use the same login? We split the Amazon account with coworkers and distribute the cost evenly.

As I understand it, you can only stream onto so many devices at the same time, or in so many places.

Their collection is pretty disappointing. Didn't even have much Dream Theater on there. =\
I really do hope that "more music is being added all the time", because they're gonna need quite a bit of it...

Their collection is pretty disappointing. Didn't even have much Dream Theater on there. =\
I really do hope that "more music is being added all the time", because they're gonna need quite a bit of it...

I was also disappointed. The 5 albums I've been listening to most recently on Spotify were available for purchase on Amazon but were not included in the free Prime music :(

FYI

Amazon has around 1 million albums/songs...

Spotify and other established services have 20-30 million...

Its a *free add on service and will grow but if you really are into streaming a lot of music probably not for you.

This is pretty cool. I like when they add things to stuff I'm already paying for.

What is there to install though?

Instead of rolling that crap out I'd much rather see an Amazon Prime Instant Video app FOR FREAKING ANDROID

Instead of rolling that crap out I'd much rather see an Amazon Prime Instant Video app FOR FREAKING ANDROID

Why, what ever could you possibly mean? It already exists for Android...
Ohhhhh I'm sorry, you meant for an android device other than a Kindle Fire? Ohhhhh yeah I know, that's too bad, I'm really sorry about that!
/rubs nipples vigorously

Yeah it's the one thing that constantly has me pissed at Amazon too.

There is a way around it you know by using Flash. How long that will continue to work is anyone's guess but it works even in Kit Kat at the moment.

That's why I refuse to buy a phone with no microSD slot. Got all the Dream Theater albums (and lots of other bands) with me all the time.

After scanning for a few of my favorite artists, it looks like this is very much analogous to Prime Video: most of the high-quality content is excluded from the deal and still requires purchase. A shame, but not surprising.

To me, Prime is still only worth it if you use the hell out of the shipping benefits. The content available to stream freely on Prime Video absolutely pales to Netflix, and likewise for this new Prime Music in comparison to, say, Spotify.

Back