NVIDIA Updating Your Old Car With New Technology

HardOCP News

[H] News
To enhance the in-vehicle experience, NVIDIA provides solutions like the Tegra visual computing module (VCM), a modular computer that can easily be slid into place. That means the car’s dashboard and infotainment system can be easily updated – putting it on a different life cycle than the rest of the vehicle. The computing hardware is upgradable and the software updatable, so the user experience in the car can progress over the life of the car. The big advantage of the Tegra VCM is that it’s programmable. So, software applications can be enhanced or added long after the car has left the dealership. With a fast processor and enhanced graphics capabilities, new downloads of software can enable new features in the vehicle years down the road.

I actually REALLY REALLY hope this happense and gets adopted by rike everyone. I got a 2009 f150 and the ONE THING i wanted to do was upgrade sync. but you can't. Period. Before you hate on sync you gota remember i got it when it was newish, before microsoft did the typical i'm going to abandon my product thing.

This will gain almost as much traction as replaceable GPUs in notebooks.

This will gain almost as much traction as replaceable GPUs in notebooks.

Unfortunately i think your right. Simply because why would a car company remove something that would be considered a selling point of a new car.

This is why I skip the GPS/infotainment system and just use a tablet with a magnetic dash mount. Im not going to replace my car every 2-3 years, but could certainly upgrade a tablet that often. That's more convenient anyway, as you can just grab it and go, or if worried about theft put it in the passenger front seat slot in the back out of sight.

With the amount of testing automakers would need to do on a software revisions to avoid recalls, I'm not seeing automakers liking this at all.

Well except GM who apparently fearlessly are not scared of recalls and their costs.

Sigh i wish i had the money for a tesla, they upgrade there vehicles ota constantly.

Infotainment system? Why does that even matter? I'm totally not gonna sit in my car to watch a movie and if I'm in it, I'm probably driving somewhere so looking at a screen thingey and not paying attention to where I'm going is kinda dangerous and stupid.

Infotainment system? Why does that even matter? I'm totally not gonna sit in my car to watch a movie and if I'm in it, I'm probably driving somewhere so looking at a screen thingey and not paying attention to where I'm going is kinda dangerous and stupid.

Mine reads mp3's off a USB drive and associates voice commands with it so when i say play metallica for example it does. Being able to update it means you can add codecs for example if something comes along to replace mp3. Then the ability to add processing power is nice because my chief complaint against these systems (which are intigrated into climate control, navigation, phone services etc.) is that they are slow. you hit the button and its not instant

Infotainment system? Why does that even matter?
You already asked that in the last similar thread. Whether or not you're happy with your 8-track, infotainment means information and entertainment, not just movies.

You can access information on a big screen such as:
1) Digital gauges so you could show turbo boost or G-forces or whatever
2) OBDII information rather than just a code show a picture and location of part and part # for affected component with full error etc
3) Backup camera when in reverse
4) Service interval information and reminders (which fluids to change, etc)
5) Weather, time, etc
6) GPS interface for navigation or finding stores
7) Hands free phone information for incoming calls
8) Display fuel economy and eco mode tips and what not, or hybrid specific information for charge remaining.

And entertainment such as:
1) Switching between audio source inputs, radio, satelite, and locally stored MP3 collection with a big bright interface
2) Show your playlists for locally stored content
3) Digital equalizer rather than needing a separate manual one
4) Display a background wallpaper that matches the CD cover or what not for whatever the metatag says its for (many apps do this automatically)
5) And yes even movies are nice if you're waiting at a call-in parking lot near the airport to pick someone up.

Manufacturers certainly have to build in limitations on functionality when the vehicle is in drive or moving, and as far as I know they all do. You can watch movies on our Dodge Ram, but as soon as you take it out of park it turns off the movie.

the nivida car module is good idea, but it will need lots of kits as the LIN bus on GM, Ford...etc are not compatible, and also integration issues too

8-track?

I don't think any of that stuff that this infotainment thingey does really matters. Most of it is silly status and gauges junk that makes no difference at all and if you can't remember to get the oil in your car changed without a screen telling your to do it...well, I dunno, that might mean you never learned anything about a car before having to own one. A backup camera might be useful, but if you really need one, you probably own something too big to be safe to drive and should have gotten a smaller car. Worry about fuel economy is also sort of silly if you just buy something that doesn't waste as much of it. And if you get that bored having to wait a few minutes for something to happen while you're in your car that you feel like you need to watch a movie in it, then there's other huge problems in your life. Screen addictions are really bad and discourage exercising and other stuff.

As for me, I have a sorta working radio in my car and I hardly ever turn it on, plus the clock isn't set to the right time since the people that fixed it last time had to replace a battery or something and it got reset and it's been like a couple hours off for the last few months. Whatever though...that stuff in the middle of the dashboard just gets ignored and I'd never actually spend money to replace it or go out of my way to buy a car that has that junk inside it since I'd much rather save money for more important things like feeding retirements and savings accounts so my kitty always has someone who can buy good food for him.

8-track?

I don't think any of that stuff that this infotainment thingey does really matters. Most of it is silly status and gauges junk that makes no difference at all and if you can't remember to get the oil in your car changed without a screen telling your to do it...well, I dunno, that might mean you never learned anything about a car before having to own one. A backup camera might be useful, but if you really need one, you probably own something too big to be safe to drive and should have gotten a smaller car. Worry about fuel economy is also sort of silly if you just buy something that doesn't waste as much of it. And if you get that bored having to wait a few minutes for something to happen while you're in your car that you feel like you need to watch a movie in it, then there's other huge problems in your life. Screen addictions are really bad and discourage exercising and other stuff.

As for me, I have a sorta working radio in my car and I hardly ever turn it on, plus the clock isn't set to the right time since the people that fixed it last time had to replace a battery or something and it got reset and it's been like a couple hours off for the last few months. Whatever though...that stuff in the middle of the dashboard just gets ignored and I'd never actually spend money to replace it or go out of my way to buy a car that has that junk inside it since I'd much rather save money for more important things like feeding retirements and savings accounts so my kitty always has someone who can buy good food for him.

You are basically arguing that vehicles should stay analog, which honestly i wish they would, but there not, period. All the digital gauges you see coming out are powered by an infotainment system thats why its part of standard equipment in most cars now. (infotainment doesn't mean it has to have all those features) and backup cameras or sensors are going to be mandatory by 2018. Which means literally you wont be able to buy a car without an infotainment system. So whether you like it or not if you buy a new car your going to be stuck with it. So all that being said, unless your going to convince congress to change things, which if you can PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO, you should focus on getting the best experience you can get instead of just saying its stupid.

This is why I skip the GPS/infotainment system and just use a tablet with a magnetic dash mount. Im not going to replace my car every 2-3 years, but could certainly upgrade a tablet that often. That's more convenient anyway, as you can just grab it and go, or if worried about theft put it in the passenger front seat slot in the back out of sight.

Just but a new vehicle a couple months ago and this was my idea; didn't want to spend $1800 on the factory system when most of the features I wanted a $200 tablet will do.
The only question I had was the need for a GPS antenna. I'm guessing they make a USB one that plugs into the tablet and works with Android right?

You are basically arguing that vehicles should stay analog, which honestly i wish they would, but there not, period. All the digital gauges you see coming out are powered by an infotainment system thats why its part of standard equipment in most cars now. (infotainment doesn't mean it has to have all those features) and backup cameras or sensors are going to be mandatory by 2018. Which means literally you wont be able to buy a car without an infotainment system. So whether you like it or not if you buy a new car your going to be stuck with it. So all that being said, unless your going to convince congress to change things, which if you can PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO, you should focus on getting the best experience you can get instead of just saying its stupid.

Even if they say new cars have to feature some sorta stuff that means they're going to be filled with screens in 2018 doesn't mean anyone is forced to get them. Personally, I would never by a new car anyhow because of payments or having to use a lot of savings to not have a payment. I think my current car is 16 years old, but I dunno, I don't remember exactly what year it is, but it means I can very easily buy something else that old for a long time for not a lot of money. To me, it's not at all worth going into debt or getting rid of a nice safety blanket of warm snuggly moolah just to have a new box that'll lose value really fast.

I haven't sent a letter to my congress person since I left Washington so maybe I'll send one just because. It might not make a huge difference since I think car companies are selling what the gadget and goo-gaw new car buyers want. Though even with having to put a little sensor for backing up in a car in them doesn't mean you have to get a screen. Soemone'll probably make a blinky LED thing and some nice friendly dials with a needle that points at some white numbers on a black background.

I don't think that just because there are screen things in cars, that it means going out to find the best of them. That's sorta like trying to buy the best packet of oatmeal when you don't even like to eat it to begin with.

Unless they can hover covert my old road car into a skyway flyer, I do not really care. :D

The only question I had was the need for a GPS antenna. I'm guessing they make a USB one that plugs into the tablet and works with Android right?
Most tablets have a built in one, and I went with a 4G tablet so that I'd have data on the road too.

Get a better paying job, perhaps one servicing in car computers.

I'm actually super happy with how much money I earn, but I also have big long-term goals of making enough so that the interest on my investments pays for all of my living expenses with enough leftover to reinvest so that I can keep ahead of inflation and not have to wonder if programs like social security will exist later when I'm old and still want to feed some nice little kitty cats. Debt and big vehicles just don't make any sense and neither does paying someone else interest on a loan to own something that loses value. Sure I'd love more moolah (and who wouldn't) but I also don't think it makes sense, no matter how much I make, to ever buy a new car or own extra impractical stuff like a truck or motorcycle.

Most tablets have a built in one, and I went with a 4G tablet so that I'd have data on the road too.

Yeah, I know like a typical "stick on the windshield" GPS but you have to have a line of sight to the sky for them to work reliably. GPS setups with an external antenna on the roof work a lot better.

Yeah, I know like a typical "stick on the windshield" GPS but you have to have a line of sight to the sky for them to work reliably. GPS setups with an external antenna on the roof work a lot better.

I buried the GPS antenna for my Alpine nav inside the center of my dash, and haven't had a dropped signal in the 2 years I've had it.. always gets a fix before I'm out of the driveway, too.

Not sure what's different with this particular antenna vs the portables I've used, but it works amazingly well in comparison.

I buried the GPS antenna for my Alpine nav inside the center of my dash, and haven't had a dropped signal in the 2 years I've had it.. always gets a fix before I'm out of the driveway, too.

Not sure what's different with this particular antenna vs the portables I've used, but it works amazingly well in comparison.

I did the same with the Pioneer Double Din 7" Touchscreen unit I had in my F150..Worked very well, never dropped the signal aside from the time I would take it in the VA parking garage (5 stories of concrete and metal above you) but would grab a signal within 15 seconds of exiting.

I applause the effort but I don't think manufacturers are willing to implement an upgradable technology into their cars.
I'm pretty sure this is going to be a "tuner shop" item or something we're going to want to do at home.

Back