WD To Demonstrate First PCI Express Hard Drives At Computex 2014

HardOCP News

[H] News
WD®, a Western Digital company, and world leader in storage solutions, will be demonstrating the first PCI Express hard drives at Computex Taipei, June 3-4, 2014. Enabled with key technology partners, WD’s prototype introduces the new SATA Express interface, a form of PCI Express technology, which is offered on recently launched Intel® series-9 chipset motherboard platforms. The SATA Express interface provides a roadmap for faster speeds, lower power consumption and increased flexibility for future OEM designs.

This is interesting, its nice to see changes in PC MB, keeping us hardware geeks happy and hopefully making the desktop PC market last a few more years.
Would be nice to get rid of internal cables some day.

WD has got to be shitting bricks that one day flash memory will make all their technology irrelevant.

I still think WD should work with MB fabs to slap SSD flash directly on the board, forget interfaces like SATA and PCI-e. Put that crap directly ont the board and see how it performs.

WD has got to be shitting bricks that one day flash memory will make all their technology irrelevant.

They would be chumps not to use some of their considerable cash to develop or buy up an SSD line.

I still think WD should work with MB fabs to slap SSD flash directly on the board, forget interfaces like SATA and PCI-e. Put that crap directly ont the board and see how it performs.

On the motherboard? Where would it fit? It's tight as is, and especially if you wanted multiple...

I thought I saw some of these before. They're a bit more expensive than the ones with the cable though. I believe the speed is way faster than cables though.

On the motherboard? Where would it fit? It's tight as is, and especially if you wanted multiple...

I'm sure they could find somewhere, a card riser or something SSD's don't take up a lot of room. Or have add in SSD chips like RAM.

They need to remove the drive interface completely. Put the SSD on RAM stick so your 16GB is volatile and your 512GB is non-volatile. Fix the memory controller in the CPU to address all of the space and eliminate going to the NB completely. Or keep the drive interface but use it only for cold storage.

Back