Virgin Space Flights Cleared For U.S. Take-Off

HardOCP News

[H] News
Finally! At a quarter of a million dollars per person, I assume most of you already have a seat reserved. ;)

Richard Branson's dream of commercial space flights took a step nearer reality after Virgin Galactic signed a deal with US aviation authorities to let it blast paying customers into space, the company said Thursday.

Branson is ripping people off, NASA's estimates are $ 10,000 a pound. Is everyone over 200 pounds on those fights. Mr. Branson. Thank you but, your $ 30,000 mark up is a robbery in broad daylight.

of course! I meandoesn't everyone have 250k laying around for something like this? If you are seriously about space this is just pocket change..

Jeez. Even for someone to get into space, you need to sign your soul away to the government.

Should be able to say when/where/speed/altitude, and be good to go where you want, if it's clear.

250k is a lot less than I thought it would be for the first commercial space flights. Remember, people used to pay $600 or more for the first Blu-ray players. Initial adopters help pay for the R&D costs. I'm sure there will be more efficient ways in the future, and the costs will drop drastically.

Branson is ripping people off, NASA's estimates are $ 10,000 a pound. Is everyone over 200 pounds on those fights. Mr. Branson. Thank you but, your $ 30,000 mark up is a robbery in broad daylight.

Since he is the only one offering it he can and should charge what ever he wants.

I believe the $10k estimate is for CARGO. It's the same reason that passenger travel is more expensive than cargo travel. Unless you like being stacked in a tight container with no air supply and no safety measures.

Last I checked the going rate to put someone in space was around $1mil on a Russian rust powered rocket.

That is about the average expectation of the average American.

Was this the flight where you don't technically reach "Space"? If I recall correctly, you're still a few miles short of NASA's definition.

Like most of the mortals here I'll only care once it reaches the level of commercial competition and availability depicted in Sci-Fi movies and there is an actual destination (as in a moonbase or another planet), not just a sight seeing trip.

Back