Introducing The iStick

HardOCP News

[H] News
All you iPhone / iPad owners should know that there is still time to get in on this Kickstarter for the iStick. What makes the iStick so special? It is the world's first USB flash drive with an integrated Apple lightning connector. :cool:

Very interesting concept, but they need to cut out the part where it said the iStick is safer than cloud storage. That's a very loaded claim - devices break or get lost or stolen.

Anyways, I'll be looking forward to this Kickstarter's progress.

I like the idea of thunderbolt. Too bad only apple has adopted it in any real way.

Too bad it doesn't have a male micro-usb port too.

Would be nice to do the same on my Android phone without using the $1.06 OTG adapter I bought from China.

I like the idea of thunderbolt. Too bad only apple has adopted it in any real way.

Lightning != thunderbolt. That said, I agree that it's odd no one ther than apple has adopted thunderbolt. It is after all an intel technology(I think?) and not proprietary to apple.

Very interesting concept, but they need to cut out the part where it said the iStick is safer than cloud storage. That's a very loaded claim - devices break or get lost or stolen.

Anyways, I'll be looking forward to this Kickstarter's progress.

I'm sure they added that to fuel the fires of paranoia from all the claimed iCloud hacks in the last week or so.

Would be nice to do the same on my Android phone without using the $1.06 OTG adapter I bought from China.

I don't know how much they cost but that exist already.

No edit on my previous post? It exists unless you mean to have all three on one device.

Daniel Chin looks like Kim Jun Il

Only if tablets (both Apple and Androids) could accept input devices that there wouldn't be a need for this stuff.

When is this Kickstarter bullshit going to end? Make the damn thing and sell it. I don't believe for a second that these designers are all skilled, yet curiously broke and lacking any contacts in manufacturing.

Look harder.

WZh7RV6.jpg

zazooFe.jpg

MRcKWfD.jpg

kkTdw29.jpg

8hwj5GU.jpg

KHY1BiK.jpg

VBQsYDb.jpg

bHJ8WKl.jpg

I didn't realize there were enough people that owned Apple products to justify something like this... I havent seen an Apple device in weeks...

maybe im lazy but i just email myself stuff or plug the phone in lol

I see a few people asking about an Android type. Patriot has a line with micro-usb for Android devices. The one I have is called Stellar and is 32GB. Treats me fine for what I need it for. For all intensive purposes I just connect to PC and phone turns into usb storage. There is Airdroid as well, an app which allows you to transfer files and more over WiFi. Is there a need for such devices, probably not, but they are handy.

Daniel Chin looks like Kim Jun Il

Only if tablets (both Apple and Androids) could accept input devices that there wouldn't be a need for this stuff.

EDIT:
Androids to accept storage devices (SDCARD).
And you can plug an Android device into a PC and transfer files directly.

Too bad iPhone/iPad has none of that and needs devices like this

I didn't realize there were enough people that owned Apple products to justify something like this... I havent seen an Apple device in weeks...

The only reason I currently own a 5s is that I can't stand the trend of these giganatic "phablet" phones. Even their "mini" versions dwarf my 5s. I want something that will fit in my pocket and have some power. I'm far from blind and am more than happy with a 4" screen. If I need something bigger I'll use a tablet or laptop or computer. Unfortunately if the rumors are true even the iPhone 6 will be a "phablet". I don't want something in my jeans or shorts pocket that has a 3 x 5.5 inch footprint no matter how thin it is.

Funny that android has had devices like this for at least a year or longer, though not as slicked out.

Was Apple's lock down of the Lightning connector the reason for such a long delay on the release of a product like this? Or does the average iDevice user just not care or need for more space?

Lightning != thunderbolt. That said, I agree that it's odd no one ther than apple has adopted thunderbolt. It is after all an intel technology(I think?) and not proprietary to apple.

Sony has implemented Intel's Light Peak (which is what Thunderbolt is based off of) in their Vaio Z line, just four months after Thunderbolt was announced. It was even rolled into a hybrid USB 3.0 connector. It was probably even way faster than Thunderbolt and closer to Intel's original 100 Mbps Light Peak, because it is still an optical implementation (with power over USB 3.0's pins, to boot). No one paid attention, because it's way cooler to make fun of Sony, much like Apple.

So that's the "stupid stick" they were referring to. It's a bit smaller than I expected. :D

hahah hey what's smaller an ipad air with an stupid istick or you know a microsd port? right, the hoops people will jump through to force an apple product to do what it always should have done. Watch they will probably just paint something you can already buy on ebay silver.

This is bullshit...

Apple likes to keep all their properties in-house, anything they want integrated, they buy. All these guys want is seed money to gen hype and show Apple there is an interest. They don't even have to build a mock-up. If they can produce grounds for copyright, Apple will buy them outright for 500m+ or whatever and that will be he end of it.. all the folks giving them money on the kick start are just financing the plan to do nothing and cash in.

A rather daft idea that can never make any money. This will just get cloned by the Chinese in no time at all. These things already exist for the old Apple connector. And in those cases more flexible as they also have SD Card, MicroSD Card, USB and miniUSB connection on the same device. This seems bizarrely restricted.

It is certainly not something to put any investment into unless every part of the worldwide patent is already 100% sown up and Apple is fully endorsing it. Even then I would not trust Apple as if there was a need for this, they would already have made one. Apple are very clear about not allowing their users to have access to external devices as they want to drive them all into the iCloud.

Back