Zynga Wants Voluntary Anti-Piracy Deals

HardOCP News

[H] News
Does anyone really care what Zynga wants? What a bunch of tools. :rolleyes:

Online gaming giant Zynga, the outfit behind games including Farmville, ZyngaPoker and Mafia Wars, came out in 2012 as a SOPA opponent due to concerns that it could “freeze innovation” and damage the Internet. But now the company is joining its former pro-SOPA adversaries in championing voluntary anti-piracy initiatives.

Freeze innovation? Really? They said that? The company that basically lived off of stealing other people's idea?

How is this company even still standing? Are there really idiots still playing farmville

Reminder: Don't forget that Don Mattrick (Microsoft Xbox) is now CEO of Zynga... so ALL of the stupidity that Microsoft brought on w/ the Xbox One (if you remember all the backlash) is now followed to Zynga.

Not that Microsoft's problems all stem from Mattrick, they've been making a ton of bonehead decisions the past couple years... Win8 Metro & Skydrive, Server2012 & Exchange 2010, Office Subscriptions, Xbox One DRM, etc. (a lot of reversals).

Follower of [H] since the beginning, and had to finally register for this tidbit... M$ has been pissing me off @ work, and the problem is the mentality behind their decision making @ the top.

Here is what I think is THE most important quote from the entire article, from Ted Hesse at Zynga:

"I’m not convinced it’s that easy for would-be infringers to just move on to the next place to find pirated content."

It really IS that easy for pirates to move around, and until they figure that out, piracy can never be stopped (or even slowed down)

With a normal website, most of the visitors don't know each other, and only arrived there via a search engine, so removing the search links will stop new users, and shutting down the website itself will cause the existing users to just wander around isolated and lost.

With pirate websites, the users tend to know each other beforehand (though gaming clans for example), and have found the site purely though word-of-mouth. Removing search links (if they even exist) will have little affect on the site, and shutting down the site itself only works until another group member sets up a new site and tells everyone else in the group about it. Because the members themselves already have a distributed copy of the entire pirate collection, it doesn't take very long to restart operations.

Basically, if you have a group of people agreeing to meet near a certain tree every night to share software, getting rid of the tree won't get rid of the piracy. They will just find a new tree.

Reminder: Don't forget that Don Mattrick (Microsoft Xbox) is now CEO of Zynga... so ALL of the stupidity that Microsoft brought on w/ the Xbox One (if you remember all the backlash) is now followed to Zynga.

Not that Microsoft's problems all stem from Mattrick, they've been making a ton of bonehead decisions the past couple years... Win8 Metro & Skydrive, Server2012 & Exchange 2010, Office Subscriptions, Xbox One DRM, etc. (a lot of reversals).

Follower of [H] since the beginning, and had to finally register for this tidbit... M$ has been pissing me off @ work, and the problem is the mentality behind their decision making @ the top.

You have been reading HardOCP for more than a decade, and out of all the crazy news articles that have been posted here over all that time, you picked THIS particular article to finally step out of the shadows and post a comment?

You have a serious flair for the un-dramatic.

You have been reading HardOCP for more than a decade, and out of all the crazy news articles that have been posted here over all that time, you picked THIS particular article to finally step out of the shadows and post a comment?

You have a serious flair for the un-dramatic.

yea...agreed.
I've been a member for a long time (my post count isn't that high).

anyways that said...this might become the final nail in the zynga coffin.

oh gawd....it's not even Thursday but I feel a pun coming on....bye-zynga!

will it really matter for a company like zynga? Will their user base even know what SOPA is?

Back