Wolfenstein: The New Order Has Huge Day One Patch

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Wolfenstein: The New Order has an upcoming release date on May 20th and strangely enough that also happens to be the same day a 7.3GB patch for the game will be released. :eek:

Some issues are so prominent, apparently, that certain games can be released with a 7.3GB patch on day one.

Ugh, game quality on release day is getting worst and worst.

Guess as long as people keep buying them that won't change.

Someone here who bought it should do a walk-through pre and post patch to see what the differences are.

I could argue both ways on this. Whatever the issues are...at least the patch is going to be there right away as opposed to getting the game out and leaving people in the lurch for x number of weeks.

http://a.pomf.se/jjvpaf.mp4

^^ I wonder if the patch is going to address this AI? I sincerely hope I'm looking at the easiest setting here or something else that's an anamoly.

I could argue both ways on this. Whatever the issues are...at least the patch is going to be there right away as opposed to getting the game out and leaving people in the lurch for x number of weeks.

^^ I wonder if the patch is going to address this AI? I sincerely hope I'm looking at the easiest setting here or something else that's an anamoly.

Holy crap that's bad, that has to be part of it wtf.

so...its one of those games you install a downloader and then it downloads the game for you?

7.3gb is a game itself.

and glad I'm not buying this, it would take me about a week to download a patch that big.

I am with this guy. I am ok with day one patches (not that I love 7GB ones..) but still acceptable. I enjoy BF4... But was annoyed when they were breaking shit 3 months after launch. Like one patch made the game unplayable on crossfire and sli. Astounding.

Day one, that's ok to me.

I am with this guy. I am ok with day one patches (not that I love 7GB ones..) but still acceptable. I enjoy BF4... But was annoyed when they were breaking shit 3 months after launch. Like one patch made the game unplayable on crossfire and sli. Astounding.

Day one, that's ok to me.

That is pretty astounding in size, though. Literally a full game's worth.

I can't wait to see the release notes on that patch.

if the game isn't released yet... why don't they go to the distribution servers of steam/uplay/origin (i don't keep track of who distributes shit these days)

... and just patch the master copy so when people start downloading the thing next week it's already good to go? I haven't heard of anyone preloads being done...

It's great they are fixing stuff but there are MUCH better ways to go about getting it onto peoples hard drives, especially if you still have 48 hours before the game is launched.

addition: 7.3GB? what sort of content are they adding? pre-baked in DLC?

biggest problem with this game is no multi-player. Even if the game had zero bugs and was fun, I'm one of those guys who refuses to pay full retail (65 dollars after tax) for a singleplayer story that I will never touch again.

If that was a 7GB multiplayer patch that turns the game into super awesome fun time forever (assuming it's done RIGHT) then they should prepare themselves to take my money. Otherwise... steam sale that shit.

good lord, that is pathetic

Truth probably is, this was done to prevent any early leaks or pirate copies before launch date, and slow down the scene releases by a few days post release.

Having to endure Day 1 bugs in the pre-high speed days (cough cough Pool of Radiance cough cough) I don't have a problem with Day 1 patches ... although I (like most) prefer stable software I don't like excessive delays while they tweak the code either ...

once we eliminate physical media and go all digital we can probably compress the time needed to freeze the code for the Gold Master but until then they need to start making discs several weeks before the launch ... I would much rather they continue to fix the code than sitting idly by during that time ... 7.3 seems like a lot but games are getting bigger and bigger (and so are their patches)

That is pretty astounding in size, though. Literally a full game's worth.

I can't wait to see the release notes on that patch.
The disc just open steam (or equivalent) and download the game? Some games seem to do little more than that nowadays.

Truth probably is, this was done to prevent any early leaks or pirate copies before launch date, and slow down the scene releases by a few days post release.

the scene releases are already out for the ps3 and xbox 360 afaik. I don't think a patch would stop people yarring it.

I liked the days when they released a game "when it's done". They seem to be releasing them before they are done these days because they have the ability to do these patches.

Can we release it by xx date? No.

Can we release it by xx date if we get it out the door by xx and then release a patch by xx date? Sure, I guess....

Gives them a couple months after it goes gold to continue development. Release the game in beta, and then fix it.

I liked the days when they released a game "when it's done". They seem to be releasing them before they are done these days because they have the ability to do these patches.

Can we release it by xx date? No.

Can we release it by xx date if we get it out the door by xx and then release a patch by xx date? Sure, I guess....

Gives them a couple months after it goes gold to continue development. Release the game in beta, and then fix it.

To be fair we live in an era of fast Internet. In the past patching was impossible or at the very least a royal pain in the ass. Now most of the time you do nothing at all just let steam or whatever handle it.

It's still not right to push out betas but the scenario you used is valid in this day and age. The delay between finish and actual release is enough to finalize a patch for release day.

This though is ridiculous 7gb patch is too much.

7.3GB isn't a "patch",it's a disaster! The game must be totally screwed up,which seems to be par for the course with anything connected to iD properties these days. From what I've read,people who per-ordered it to get the DOOM 4 beta are going to be waiting a long,long time!

7.3GB isn't a "patch",it's a disaster! The game must be totally screwed up,which seems to be par for the course with anything connected to iD properties these days. From what I've read,people who per-ordered it to get the DOOM 4 beta are going to be waiting a long,long time!

Yeah I pre ordered it.

I think Im gonna go up to Gamestop and get my Five bucks back.

Yeah I pre ordered it.

I think Im gonna go up to Gamestop and get my Five bucks back.

WOW! 5 bucks, stop the presses. :D Of course, if you want the game, you will buy it, if you do not, you will not. Personally, I am going to buy it on the One but wait until I catch a Amazon sale. (Have plenty of games still to play now.)

Let me explain whats going on here to everyone, cause this story is about 3 days old to the people (Like me) who chat on 4chan.

Bethesda has got it into their stupid little head, like EA has, that if you make the game as large as possible, pirates will not pirate it.

Every last ounce of data in Wolfenstein is 100% uncompressed, the entire game has zero compression.

They claim its "So older PC's can run the game so they don't have to wait around decompressing files" but this is just a lie they are saying, since even my 800mhz Athlon could decompress game data on the fly in its sleep, and by having the files uncompressed, it will "Run faster" etc.

This is why the patch is over 7 gigs for the game, because its all data that is uncompressed.

Also, the PS3 and Xbone versions? The day one download is 47Gigs with 5 gig patch on release day, and the PC version day one download is 50gigs with a 7.3gigs patch on release day.

The funniest thing is, publishers are just frankly so fucking STUPID they think this works, when reality has shown that these type of game releases only serve to deter actual customers, and not pirates as pirates just easily compress said data and send it warezed versions of games 1/6th their original download size.

Let me explain whats going on here to everyone, cause this story is about 3 days old to the people (Like me) who chat on 4chan.

Bethesda has got it into their stupid little head, like EA has, that if you make the game as large as possible, pirates will not pirate it.

Every last ounce of data in Wolfenstein is 100% uncompressed, the entire game has zero compression.

They claim its "So older PC's can run the game so they don't have to wait around decompressing files" but this is just a lie they are saying, since even my 800mhz Athlon could decompress game data on the fly in its sleep, and by having the files uncompressed, it will "Run faster" etc.

This is why the patch is over 7 gigs for the game, because its all data that is uncompressed.

Also, the PS3 and Xbone versions? The day one download is 47Gigs with 5 gig patch on release day, and the PC version day one download is 50gigs with a 7.3gigs patch on release day.

The funniest thing is, publishers are just frankly so fucking STUPID they think this works, when reality has shown that these type of game releases only serve to deter actual customers, and not pirates as pirates just easily compress said data and send it warezed versions of games 1/6th their original download size.

Damn, that's crazy stuff right there. Thanks for sharing.

To be fair we live in an era of fast Internet. In the past patching was impossible or at the very least a royal pain in the ass. Now most of the time you do nothing at all just let steam or whatever handle it.

It's still not right to push out betas but the scenario you used is valid in this day and age. The delay between finish and actual release is enough to finalize a patch for release day.

This though is ridiculous 7gb patch is too much.

Small patch is fine. The ones that have come out have been fixing pretty big issues. If there is an issue that big, fix it before it goes gold. No way should they think "We'll release it now, but we'll fix this big problem by the time it hits the stores".

To me, this screams unfinished product. Fast internet? Fine. But, when I fired up CoD: Ghosts, I had to wait 2 days with my "fast" 3Mb connection just to download the required patch. Same with PvZ. This shouldn't be the norm. I am upgrading to 25Mb next week, though. So, I may not bitch as much after that. Still, growing up with the insert cart or disc and play instantly has spoiled me. Now, it's an always connected system of doing things... You're not wrong at all. Just hard to accept the reality of the changing model of doing things... :)

I love how modern AAA titles are released in a beta-test state these days. The new standard seems to be you pre-pay (and pay more) for the game and get to spend weeks waiting for them to fix bugs that only incompetent fools would fail to spot.

As bad & buggy as Steam Early Access games are, at least you get to shape the design of the game while they work on it.

This shouldn't be the norm. I am upgrading to 25Mb next week, though. So, I may not bitch as much after that. Still, growing up with the insert cart or disc and play instantly has spoiled me. Now, it's an always connected system of doing things... You're not wrong at all. Just hard to accept the reality of the changing model of doing things... :)

dafuq am I reading, you're going to upgrade to 25Mb? :rolleyes:

That video is pretty showing, however I doubt the whole game is like that lol. Going to "pre-order" tomorrow for 27 euro or something. At this point downloading games through Steam is faster than using DVD, so fuck that patch size. Can't complain about dev fixing their mess.

Small patch is fine. The ones that have come out have been fixing pretty big issues. If there is an issue that big, fix it before it goes gold. No way should they think "We'll release it now, but we'll fix this big problem by the time it hits the stores".

To me, this screams unfinished product. Fast internet? Fine. But, when I fired up CoD: Ghosts, I had to wait 2 days with my "fast" 3Mb connection just to download the required patch. Same with PvZ. This shouldn't be the norm. I am upgrading to 25Mb next week, though. So, I may not bitch as much after that. Still, growing up with the insert cart or disc and play instantly has spoiled me. Now, it's an always connected system of doing things... You're not wrong at all. Just hard to accept the reality of the changing model of doing things... :)

3Mb wasn't a fast connection a decade ago lol

it may well be possible, I think day 1 patches (alongside dLC) are effective anti priacy measures.

Stil it is very anti consumer and not something I think is good for customers.

No way this should have gone to a release candidate with the AI being so bad. I mean, the enemies are walking toward the player! At that rate the player could run away from the baddies...

I love how modern AAA titles are released in a beta-test state these days. The new standard seems to be you pre-pay (and pay more) for the game and get to spend weeks waiting for them to fix bugs that only incompetent fools would fail to spot.

As bad & buggy as Steam Early Access games are, at least you get to shape the design of the game while they work on it.

Nah now we match their standard by waiting for it to be listed on the steam summer sale, which should be well patched by then.

Remember This is ID software RAGE!!! all over again.Hey maybe if ID screws it up again Betheda will fire the rest of the incompetent fools. No way am I buying this until the reviews are in and the price drops!!!

Back