2014 Has Been a Busy Year for Steam

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Steam has been a busy little enterprise this year. So far in 2014, Steam has already surpassed the number of games released in all of 2013.

It’s not just Greenlight, though — there are actually more games from established developers appearing on PC. Many of these are adaptations of mobile games, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Next Gen had little to do with it tons of Indies and stuff side scrollers and the like.

I think they have greatly expanded their user base as well ... ironically I am probably purchasing less on Steam now (even though they have more to offer) ... I have a new job that keeps me on the road about 3-4 weeks out of each month and my game time has been greatly reduced because of that (also a 400 game library of other Steam titles has reduced my need to add to my ever increasing backlog) ... however, it is great to see so many excellent choices available now (and I do purchase titles occasionally, I am just more selective now than in the past) :)

This probably has more to do with companies dumping their old catalog of games onto Steam then anything else.

Games that are actually new are almost instantly buried on the new release list by ancient and/or shovelware games since Steam opened the floodgates.

Not surprising.

PCs in the world: 1550 million
Xbox and PlayStation's combined worldwide: 175 million

Steam has been a busy little enterprise this year. So far in 2014, Steam has already surpassed the number of games released in all of 2013.

It has? Strange, so far this year, I have bought zero games off of steam. (Or any PC games for that matter.) All the previous sales pretty much tapped the interest I had in purchasing PC games and I do not need anymore nor am I interested in any of the other ones that are out.

Now, if they would produce a Portal 3, I would get that. :)

Cellphones/tablets have redefined what games mean for most people.

How many of the games that were added to steam in 2014 were pay-to-win app-style games?

Back