League of Legends Pro Plays With Collapsed Lung

HardOCP News

[H] News
Honestly, I'm not sure this is something to brag about.

Would you play a video game after suffering a collapsed lung? This League of Legends pro did. Two days ago 21-year-old Hai "Hai" Du Lam, mid-laner for professional League of Legends team Cloud 9, suffered a collapsed lung and was rushed to hospital. It put him out of the upcoming All-Star 2014 event in Paris because he's not allowed to fly, as you'd expect.

I went to a LAN party right after i got my big toenail ripped off.

I played Halo with a broken Collar bone, a month after it healed. But I was still in a sling! That counts right?

I used to play NES until the blisters on my thumb from the d-pad hurt so much that I couldn't play.

If there's a big paycheck that comes with it, I'd play through. Not like its physically demanding, and I've got two lungs.

I love how he is referred to as a "mid laner".

"Starting at mid, 5'3" 112lbs out of the University of Devry, HAI DU LAM!" Why did pro gaming have to use the pro sports model....

I played LoL with 2 bulging discs in my back and 2 disintegrated discs in my neck. Also played with kidney stones a number of times. I could name a number of other injuries I played video games through. Not much of a feat in my mind, you are just sitting there playing after all.

A collapsed lung is not a big deal, it just hurts to breath due to one lung being crushed. I went and worked a full 8 hour work day when my right lung collapsed and really didnt notice it other than chest pains. Ofcourse i went to the doctor after work but even then they just strapped a burp valve to my chest. Its not an OMG hes Epic story.

LOL @ "Professional" video game playing.

It does sound a little silly, but when you watch them, you can see that they are very skilled.

Plus, when you really think about it, it's really not much different than what goes inside your brain for chess. I don't laugh at pro chess players, they'd kick my ass in 11 moves. This isn't chess, I realize, but there is strategy, hand eye coordination, and team coordination. There's skill in that.

I love how he is referred to as a "mid laner".

"Starting at mid, 5'3" 112lbs out of the University of Devry, HAI DU LAM!" Why did pro gaming have to use the pro sports model....

Well, in LoL and similar MOBA titles, there is a "mid lane" :p

Yup, cuz anyone can have sex, but if you have sex for money then you're a professional. Its science.

Professional: (of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.

It's not science it is just the definition.

Not sure why this is considered news, I mean it's not like his lung collapse and he insisted on playing in a tourney before seeking treatment or some such.

Hell, maybe they should have done a story on me since I ruptured for disks in my lower back and despite being basically housebound for 10 months before surgery (it was workman's comp so everything my doctor requested took months to get approved) and even while recovering from spinal fusion I and was playing Doom, Masters of Orion, Syndicate and Dune II? (Yes, I know this shows just how incredibly old I am! lol!)

Hell I've always said having those, and other games to keep my mind occupied is probably the only think that kept me from ending up on a tower somewhere with a rifle.

In fact anyone who has had a serious injury and/or illness, and who games, will tell you that gaming can be very therapeutic and actually can help reduced an individuals perceived level and improves their mood as well.

Seriously though, anyone who games and has had a significant injury or illness should be able to tell you that having videogames to play

Whose that?

ron_burgundy_i_am_not_even_mad_or_that_s_amazing_anchorman.jpg

It does sound a little silly, but when you watch them, you can see that they are very skilled.

Plus, when you really think about it, it's really not much different than what goes inside your brain for chess. I don't laugh at pro chess players, they'd kick my ass in 11 moves. This isn't chess, I realize, but there is strategy, hand eye coordination, and team coordination. There's skill in that.

I'm sorry but if fucking Curling is an Olympic sport then Pro gaming is a "Sport". There are many "Sports" that I and many others don't consider a "Sport".

If people watch it , admire it , understand the skill involved then its a Sport. It may seem weird to us since gaming in our eyes is commonly associated with relaxing and leisure activity. But a whole new generation has a different view on it.

I think what we can't get past is that it isn't a traditional sport.

Gotta admit, only reason I know LoL exists is because of hot girls cosplaying as Miss Fortune.

That's one of those injuries you just spit on, put a little tape on, and get back in the game...

Anyone who thinks this is impressive at all should probably just have their access to the internet permanently revoked so their stupidity doesn't pollute the pool any further.

I can admit to playing Everquest 2 back in the day in the hospital with a collapsed lung.

If you wanna stratify some loser that sits around poking mouse buttons in a video game for a living as a professional *snerk* that's totally up to you and I'm c:rolleyes:mpletely okay with you doing it.

You should try doing that yourself if you think any random loser can do it.

You should try doing that yourself if you think any random loser can do it.

I have better stuff to do with my life than spend it playing video games and pretending like they're important. Enough people do that already with those things and with professional sports to fill huge arenas with waste in food, fuel, and energy.

Back