AOL Urges Password Change

HardOCP News

[H] News
AOL urged its "tens of millions of members" to change their passwords? Who are they trying to kid? Maybe they accidentally said "tens of millions" instead of just "tens."

AOL Inc on Monday urged its tens of millions of email account holders to change their passwords and security questions after a cyber attack compromised about 2 percent of its accounts. The company said it was working with federal authorities to investigate the attack, in which hackers obtained email addresses, postal addresses, encrypted passwords and answers to security questions used to reset passwords.

I'd guess that count includes anyone who was ever an AOL member. I miss their "free coaster" install discs. My college furniture would have been laden with rings had it not been for those install discs....

9,999,999 of those ten million members are probably e-mail accounts of the same scammers/spammers they're e-mailing to protect them about.

Only 2% of accounts? Sounds like they wanted to remind folks over 60 they are still around... maybe they'll get some converts to it for "simplicity"...

HEY MAW, that AOL'S been around a'while... remember all them floppy's they used ta send us? Thats dependable... we should SIGN UP!

Why is AOL still in exsistance? It must be the most pathetic CEO position one could take. "Hi, I'm CEO of AOL"..... "wow, what a tool"

Why is AOL still in exsistance? It must be the most pathetic CEO position one could take. "Hi, I'm CEO of AOL"..... "wow, what a tool"

Do you think he still attends tech conferences? And if so, will the tech conference actually include him on the attendee list? ;)

"Hi, I'm CEO of AOL" is only slightly less impressive than "Would you like fries with that?"
:D

Needs a new headline: Public urges people to get with reality and cancel their AOL subscription.

Nowadays you can have an aol email account without being a member. There's also still people using Aim or ICQ. They are probably counting all the above. Most of those millions probably aren't paying them anything.

I'd guess that count includes anyone who was ever an AOL member. I miss their "free coaster" install discs. My college furniture would have been laden with rings had it not been for those install discs....

I miss their free install floppies, those were at least useful for something other than decoration

I was an AOL member back in the day, because they had a local number and accepted checking accounts as a form of payment. Took them 8 months to figure out that I had given them the number for an old account that was closed. It's amazing how much fraud you can get away with when you are only 14.

I probably still owe them a bunch of money

Back