IRS Could Be Watching Your Social Media

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know the headline says "could be watching" but let's just go ahead and assume they already are and avoid the headache altogether. :cool:

In its quest to find and audit tax dodgers, the IRS is said to use online activity trackers to sift through the mass amounts of data available on the Internet, according to Marketplace. This data is then added to the information the agency already has on people, such as Social Security numbers, health records, banking statements, and property.

Hah, this is actually WORSE than what the NSA is doing! In the IRS's realm, we're talking about finances and what better way to ruin someone than ruining their finances. I mean, if they get it wrong and label someone a tax dodger who isn't, it's going to take years and tons of money to get it right. Either way, the government gets paid. The accused tax dodger's lawyers get paid, and the lawyers pay more taxes due to their increased income.

Cool, now the internet will be filled with even more lies, people trying to get bigger tax refunds posting fake info.

My Facebook page is locked down to where unless you are a friend, you aren't seeing what I'm doing. This is of course unless the IRS has some kind of PRISM access.

And why not?

I was at a Costco and some kid was posing with a fan of cash. I can only assume he was gonna post it on his social media page.

"The power to tax is the power to destroy"

The potential for abuse is boundless, very dangerous.

Hah, this is actually WORSE than what the NSA is doing! In the IRS's realm, we're talking about finances and what better way to ruin someone than ruining their finances. I mean, if they get it wrong and label someone a tax dodger who isn't, it's going to take years and tons of money to get it right. Either way, the government gets paid. The accused tax dodger's lawyers get paid, and the lawyers pay more taxes due to their increased income.

Pretty much. My father went through a few issues with them when he got really ill and couldn't handle things. It took thousands of dollars to a special tax attorney for him to clear it up.

We're not talking sending out nasty grams here but full-blown they take all bank accounts and sieze all income. When you're paying for medical bills because your provider will no longer cover, that's quite a burden. They don't care, as long as you pay before you die .. Or leave them your estate.

The IRS is the most dangerous agency on the face of the earth. They can, will, and do fuck you over if they even think they can nail you and there usually isn't a damned thing you can do about it.

Let's just assume that if privacy is a concern for you, social media is not for you.

Back