U.S. Gets New, Hyper-Accurate Atomic Clock

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Anybody have the correct time? That would be a definite yes if you are asking the guys over at the National Institute of Standards and Technology. The new atomic clock could be off by a second, give or take, over a 300 million year period or the NIST gets double their money back. :D

"Modern telecommunication networks require synchronization to about a millionth of a second per day," O'Brian said. "Power grids also ... (and) GPS systems require about 1 billionth of a second per day.

We used the earth and sun for millennia, then we created a clock that didn't rely on the sun or earth. Then we realized how useful it was and set out to build a better clock, because we can. This will be replaced by an even better one, and someday we will figure out how to measure it with something better than the atom. Best of mankind. Best of western Civilization.

We used the earth and sun for millennia, then we created a clock that didn't rely on the sun or earth. Then we realized how useful it was and set out to build a better clock, because we can. This will be replaced by an even better one, and someday we will figure out how to measure it with something better than the atom. Best of mankind. Best of western Civilization.
. . . BECAUSE WE CANand simply so :D

hmmm 15 Meters should be brewing up, maybe I'll tune in and give it a listen

Sure beats the old clock syncronizer guys that used to have to come by everyone's house now and then and tweak those big ol' grandaddy clocks. ;)

Nice to know my aging Galaxy SIII will still have an accurate clock in about 250 million years. Kind of makes me wonder if Sprint will be done with their 4G LTE rollout by then.

The big boys on wallstreet needed this so they can front run more clients HFT style. You have to time it all perfectly and wallstreet needed it.

No. We're gonna figure out that our time has been wrong all along.

Back