Microsoft Leaks Windows 8.1 Update Early

HardOCP News

[H] News
Somebody is probably going to be in trouble for this screw up. Calm down folks, it's just an update and it will be officially released next month.

While the update is available earlier than expected, Microsoft is expected to release Windows 8.1 Update 1 to existing machines officially on April 8th, following the company’s Build developer conference in early April. Asked about the download, a Microsoft representative told The Verge: "We look forward to sharing details about the update soon."

Last edited:
Managed to grab it before they took it down (although there are mirrors out there now). I like it quite a bit actually. I loved Windows7, couldn't stand Windows8, thought Windows8.1 was a nice update for non-touch devices, Windows 8.11 even better for non-touch devices.

So they are no longer "Service Packs"?
When installing the MSU files by hand, it calls itself a "feature pack"

Grabbed all 6 MSU files from Microsoft's servers yesterday before they pulled them, just updated a couple of my machines. Very nice changes so far :)

Just tried a couple of the links from Microsoft's Windows Update site and the MSUs are still there and downloadable.

I just think it is stupid they decided to release this on the day XP goes offline for updates. They tell us techies to go out and spread the word and not give us the tools to help them. IMO if this update is as good as it is supposed to be, why wait till April 8th. Good will would tell you to release before not after XP is not supported. So you could move someone off before something went wrong. Microsoft's really on the inside looking out and were on the outside looking in. The damn door/dirty window in the way is really pissing people like me off. With iHeads and Androidites out there happy with their branding the Microsheep are jumping ship because they are trying to do away with Microsoft, because MS just doesn't have a clue about everyday people. Why would Microsoft be doing things to further damage their image is beyond me. To me intentionally releasing the update on April 8th is... Too little, too late. I only see this as getting worse before it ever (if ever) gets better.

All I can think to myself is, Windows 9 better make me jizz in my pants, I want nothing to do with anything attached to Microsofts version of malware (malfunctioning software) Windows 8.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 might make me change my mind about updating one of my boxes from 7 Pro. Maybe... I'll think about it between now and April 8 for the official download. Go Steam Linux go!

For those with this already..has anyone found a way to turn off the search icon on the start screen?
Considering it automatically starts searching if you type I see no reason for the icon on a non-touch screen device. Yet I can't find a way to turn it off.

Considering I couldn't install the "8.1" update on my son's Windows 8 machine (took about an hour and a half only to blue-screen, then say "Sorry, can't install the update." and then rollback to a restore point), I have little faith in this update being any better.

Just tried a couple of the links from Microsoft's Windows Update site and the MSUs are still there and downloadable.

They removed one. It's not clear on if it's necessary or not. Some say that it is, others it's just what's coming next Tuesday.

Considering I couldn't install the "8.1" update on my son's Windows 8 machine (took about an hour and a half only to blue-screen, then say "Sorry, can't install the update." and then rollback to a restore point), I have little faith in this update being any better.

Is your Sons computer an HP Computer? I know some of them have issues with the wireless device on some of them. Also, I think you will need 8.1 before this update could be installed.

Is your Sons computer an HP Computer? I know some of them have issues with the wireless device on some of them. Also, I think you will need 8.1 before this update could be installed.

Nope. It's a DIY built machine with a retail install of Win8.

I've been on 8.1 on my new gaming rig. Now that I have the start menu decluttered and all my junk organized on it and trained my self to right click the start menu when I want the control panel and other stuff like that it's not bad at all.

People bitching that it takes more clicks to get to the control panel are stupid and obviously haven't tried 8.1. It's the same amount of clicks. :)

Also the native backgrounds that span multiple displays is nice as well.

I'm out of town so i missed the update. Oh well.

its not a leak if it comes from the OM...
Its an announcement.

Well, i found instructions on how to get Windows Update to download them, I'll try it out later in the day.

Well, i found instructions on how to get Windows Update to download them, I'll try it out later in the day.

They moved the big one KB2919355 from the location the other updates are still in, someone on MyDigitalLife just posted the new location on the Windows Update site for KB2919355.

They moved the big one KB2919355 from the location the other updates are still in, someone on MyDigitalLife just posted the new location on the Windows Update site for KB2919355.
Thanks for telling me that. That is where I found the instructions on how to get Windows Update to get these updates.

Got my USB thumbdrive with all the .MSU files for x64 ready to go, going to update machine at home this evening.

Just updated my 3rd machine with this update, one desktop, one convertible laptop and one Bay Trail tablet. Only issue with the update process was on the desktop, the main update, KB2919355, failed the first time I tried to install it. Worked fine on the second attempt and all the others worked fine after that. The only change I've noted compared to the prior leak I was running is that IE 11 modern now turns on the permanent tabs at the bottom with it sees a mouse a keyboard as I had full screen turned on all of the devices I installed it on and the tabs were enabled after the updates on my desktop and laptop but not on my tablet. It also seems to be just tab bit faster than even 8.1.

This was a tactical update that appears to be based on users feedback as the major UI changes have been mentioned since day one of Windows 8. Of course it doesn't go as far as it needs to for the biggest critics of Windows 8.x critics that bemoan its usability with keyboards and mice like some type of Start Menu or mini-Start Screen and Metro off switch. But the ability to navigate between all apps, both desktop and modern in the taskbar and with defaults like media play back being set to desktop apps, there's still a lot that is addresses keyboard and mouse usability.

Pretty much. W8 downward spiral reminds me of Blackberry.

Except that Microsoft just had their most profitable quarter ever. And blackberry is in the same boat as Sony looking in the couch for coins that fell out of people's pockets

Except that Microsoft just had their most profitable quarter ever.

Short term profits don't matter if you're running the company into the ground. There's a reason why the entire management team was shaken up. Their operating income for Windows division is down 20%, office is flat, Bing/online services are still a money pit, as is their phone division.

They would have made more money if they had developed competitive phone and tablet products rather than ruining their desktop OS. Microsoft may have a future as another IBM, but they clearly don't have the corporate culture they need to innovate and compete in the places they want to.

They would have made more money if they had developed competitive phone and tablet products rather than ruining their desktop OS.

It's not exactly a clear cut case that Microsoft "ruined" desktop Windows. There where changes made to extend the reach and overall capabilities of Windows and for the first attempt at doing something that's pretty damned complicated it's has been as successful as Microsoft would have liked. But ultimately the hybrid design make a lot of sense as Microsoft even now with Windows 8.1 has Windows devices that are pretty cheap and capable. And a big reason why people are buying these devices is because they are desktop capable. The reception of Windows RT and it's perceived failure by many actually validates the hybrid design. There just wasn't as much interest in Windows RT tablets when x86 Windows tablets could run all the tablet software and still had a native desktop, for less money in a lot of cases.

Microsoft made plenty of mistakes with Windows 8 but they have been listening to feedback, 8.1 and this Update have features that are straight of feedback. The UI controversy around 8 is overblown to begin with and not that hard to fix. Some kind of Start Menu, windowed modern apps, that's at least 80% of it.

After messing around with 8.1 Update 1 for a couple days, I gotta say, I'm liking it.

I will note, however, that this update is 100% desktop-focused. If you're using a touch-screen device, you won't notice a difference AT ALL.

After messing around with 8.1 Update 1 for a couple days, I gotta say, I'm liking it.

I will note, however, that this update is 100% desktop-focused. If you're using a touch-screen device, you won't notice a difference AT ALL.

There are two things that I've noticed with touch, one minor, one fairly significant. The touch keyboard now explicitly labels the hide keyboard function. On the fairly significant side and while not touch only, closing a modern app will take you back to the previous app. So if you were using Facebook and were previously using IE modern, you'd go back to IE instead of the Start Screen. If you were using desktop previously and close a modern app you'd go back to the desktop. In 8.1 prior to this update, closing a modern app would either return you to the desktop if boot to desktop is turned on or to the Start Screen if not. Now boot to desktop has no baring on it, you always go back to the last app with the desktop counting as an app.

But as I said that's not a touch only feature and while the behavior is identical with mouse and keyboard and touch, I think the change is more profound to touch and tablet use as I can see why one may always want to go back to the Start Screen on a tablet much more so than with a mouse and keyboard.

I've only installed it on my Acer W3 tablet so far and I like it. Even the touch seems snappier.

Back