What's New In Microsoft Office 2013 Service Pack 1?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Want to know what to expect from Microsoft Office 2013 SP1? Hit this link for the rundown.

Microsoft has unveiled the first Service Pack update for Microsoft Office 2013 with the release of Microsoft Office 2013 Service Pack 1 (32-bit) and Microsoft Office 2013 Service Pack 1 (64-bit). As expected, the SP1 is primarily a collection of previously released security patches and bug fixes, but does include some compatibility improvements as well as new apps for Office capabilities and APIs for third-party developers.

Microsoft takes the stance of providing excellent post launch service packs and cumulative rollups for everything except their operating systems. For OSes, they make you download everything 200kb at a time.

Way to go, Microsoft.

Microsoft takes the stance of providing excellent post launch service packs and cumulative rollups for everything except their operating systems. For OSes, they make you download everything 200kb at a time.

Way to go, Microsoft.

They release Service packs for OSs to do the same thing.

Not sure where you guys have been since 2011. Microsoft doesn't release service packs anymore for OSes.

Office 2013 is almost as much a debacle as Win8.

Office 2010 was a solid package, while 2013 has a weird hybrid ui that's a mess.

Office 2010 was a solid package, while 2013 has a weird hybrid ui that's a mess.

Huh? The functional pieces in the UI between 2010 and 2013 are quite similar though 2013 does a lot more to touch enable though not to the extent to make the entire Office suite truly touch friendly. The only app in the suite that I would consider to be truly touch friendly is OneNote 2013, it's perhaps the best touch enabled desktop there is and that doesn't impact on its use as a desktop app. While I whish Microsoft would have allowed for so more customization of color schemes, Office 2013 functionally is pretty fantastic.

Not sure where you guys have been since 2011. Microsoft doesn't release service packs anymore for OSes.

Because Microsoft didn't want to add serious updates to Windows 7 anymore and push people toward Windows 8 with a versioning scheme mimicking OSX updated on a constant cycle.

I love the Paul Thurott quotes btw lol it reminds me of his hypocritical opinions throughout beta testing and even months after Windows 8 where he worshiped it as the greatest thing he ever seen.

I would argue that windows 8.1 is a service pack as it is a free upgrade for those that had windows 8, it isn't an new OS but just makes a few tweaks to windows 8. In line with how XP SP 2 made changes to the OS, only not as drastic as the changes that happen with XP SP2.

I ran it from Alpha through the end of the beta's lifetime and don't recall anything being that different. Do think it had more of a flat UI if I remember, But don't recall much other than that being different with its look unless something changed between pre launch and after.

Because Microsoft didn't want to add serious updates to Windows 7 anymore and push people toward Windows 8 with a versioning scheme mimicking OSX updated on a constant cycle.

I love the Paul Thurott quotes btw lol it reminds me of his hypocritical opinions throughout beta testing and even months after Windows 8 where he worshiped it as the greatest thing he ever seen.

Service packs aren't meant to add serious updates. They are meant to be a single download for all or most updates released up to then with some of the hotfixes that were offered outside of the update channel and maybe a few other fixes or enhancements. But nothing serious, that is when a new version comes out. Only a few service packs really broke away from that.

Sorry, I totally disagree with this. The Office 2013 UI works just fine. It has some stuff moved and spaced out better for finger-friendly use, but I don't think that really causes any harm at all for people on desktops and laptops.

Now if they could only allow users to install Office 2013 without making or using a damn Microsoft account.

I can only hope it has a complete interface re-write, but I doubt it. This thing is worse than Windows 8.

My etch-a-sketch from 40 years ago had better contrast and readability.

Way to go, Microsoft.

Yeah, Windows 7 SP1 is only 200kb, just like Windows XP SP3.

Are you for real?

Thorrott gets good insider information from Microsoft, but is editorials have been all over the place with Windows 8. He's not recently for instance mentioned one hint about the desktop going away, something that for a guy like Thurrott should have been plainly obvious. It's like he's now trying to overcompensate for saying things like that and hopping on the H8 bandwagon. And know he's even critical of the changes in 8.1 Update 1 that clearly make things more familiar to mouse users while not effecting the touch experience.

So for Exavior, NeoGohan and Stiletto, people who obviously do not read any tech news whatsoever, it has been known for a long time that Microsoft is no longer going to release SPs for OSes now. All updates moving forward will be done individually.

Hopefully the new leadership goes back on this trend.

So for Exavior, NeoGohan and Stiletto, people who obviously do not read any tech news whatsoever, it has been known for a long time that Microsoft is no longer going to release SPs for OSes now. All updates moving forward will be done individually.

Hopefully the new leadership goes back on this trend.

But if Microsoft is going to a faster release cadence for Windows versions, the SPs aren't as critical for consumers and there are tools to create rollup images. What they need is a better distribution process. A local installer for 8.1 from 8 should have been there. 8.1 Update will come in the form of MSUs so those can be installed offline or through Windows Update.

So no updates beyond XP SP3 or 7 SP1 exist in your world?

No. I just noted the two most well-known Windows service packs to show the foolishness of your statement that said that post-launch service packs for their OSes were only available 200kb at a time.

But if Microsoft is going to a faster release cadence for Windows versions, the SPs aren't as critical for consumers and there are tools to create rollup images. What they need is a better distribution process. A local installer for 8.1 from 8 should have been there. 8.1 Update will come in the form of MSUs so those can be installed offline or through Windows Update.
That doesn't help Windows 7 at all, which is the OS most enterprise environments will be sticking with for a long time to come. SP2 is years overdue.

No. I just noted the two most well-known Windows service packs to show the foolishness of your statement that said that post-launch service packs for their OSes were only available 200kb at a time.
I never said the SP's would be available 200kb at a time, I was making a joke about how they no longer release SPs, so you have to download all new updates one at a time "200kb at a time" since most updates are relatively small.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment not to be taken at face value.

Now if they could only allow users to install Office 2013 without making or using a damn Microsoft account.

Uh, you click the button that says "Activate with a product key.." No MS account required.

Now there are some stupid issues with the activation because of this option. I'm tired of logging into one of our developer machines, only to have lync open and try and activate under my O365 account instead of the product key office was installed with. Then Office on that machine has to be re-activated with the same key (wasting another key activation), and the install on my workstation suddenly becomes 'Unlicensed'.

Back