How an NVIDIA Engineer’s Cube Became His Castle

HardOCP News

[H] News
Every company has a CEO. Every department has its vice presidents. Every realm has its powers and principalities. But only one company has a potentate. The tale of how NVIDIA’s Jonathon Evans got his crown, and had his modest cubicle transformed into a royal court begins — as stories like this often do at the company — with Saran Wrap. Jonathon — who leads the team that designs the host interface and context scheduling unit for our GPUs — decided to play a prank on one of his colleagues, Alan Kaatz, while he was away. So, he wrapped Alan’s computer, keyboard and many of the objects in his cube in cellophane. Alan, a quick-witted engineer with a keen sense of the absurd, decided to hit back. Hard. “I wanted to do something so big that it would be impossible to retaliate,” Alan says. So Alan and a small group of other GPU designers — Eric Tyson, Steve Mueller and Rafal Zboinski — huddled around a whiteboard to sketch out what revenge might look like.

as management, I am upset at the lack of work output because I had a team of people working all weekend on this, and not on TPS reports. Likewise I am dismayed at the safety violations, that will get me a nasty gram. Lastly, as management, I can not have a cube dweller have a better workplace than me. I command that this castle be taken down. This is work, not build a fort day care.

/end sarcasm.

The only thing missing from this story is his co-workers laying siege to this castle while he was in it.

Back