Intel Reveals New Haswell Details at ISSCC 2014

I read in the comments section that the newer Haswell chips will still use the LGA1150 socket, but the electrical specification will change so current motherboards won't be compatible. Is this true? Does this imply that all currently purchased motherboard will only be good for this generation?

Why is the dual core igp chip so much bigger? Is that normal?

I could be wrong but I would think it's easier, cheaper to produce the chips with larger / less cramped internals. If you compare the 2 pics it looks like they include the exact same components regardless of size.

One of the ULV configs is the 2 + GT3, which is interesting ... I bet the next gen Surface Pro will get a decent boost with this.

One of the ULV configs is the 2 + GT3, which is interesting ... I bet the next gen Surface Pro will get a decent boost with this.
I believe this article is a second look at the current generation of Haswell processors just with new technical information. Microsoft could have gone with the 4350U @ 1.4GHz w/ HD5000 (GT3) but opted instead to upgrade the Surface Pro 2 to a 4300U @ 1.9GHz w/ HD4400 (GT2).

The Surface Pro 3 should come with Broadwell (possibly in the form of a SOC) which may help to trim some of the thickness from the current design.

lol quad core and 3.8 ghz... didn't they promise we'd have 64 core cpus by now ten years ago? and we've been stuck at 4 ghz for a decade too. i know it's not all about clock speed, but it looks like an awful lot of effort to make something incrementally faster just for the sake of being able to sell something new.

lol quad core and 3.8 ghz... didn't they promise we'd have 64 core cpus by now ten years ago? and we've been stuck at 4 ghz for a decade too. i know it's not all about clock speed, but it looks like an awful lot of effort to make something incrementally faster just for the sake of being able to sell something new.

Stop complaining! Haswell is so amazing that it can do the kessel run in 12 parsecs and only needs 1.21 jiggawatts of dilithium crystals to force push your sonic screwdriver into the 24th and a half century. :mad:

Stop complaining! Haswell is so amazing that it can do the kessel run in 12 parsecs and only needs 1.21 jiggawatts of dilithium crystals to force push your sonic screwdriver into the 24th and a half century. :mad:

Did you serve under Janeway? Sounds like it.

I believe this article is a second look at the current generation of Haswell processors just with new technical information. Microsoft could have gone with the 4350U @ 1.4GHz w/ HD5000 (GT3) but opted instead to upgrade the Surface Pro 2 to a 4300U @ 1.9GHz w/ HD4400 (GT2).

The Surface Pro 3 should come with Broadwell (possibly in the form of a SOC) which may help to trim some of the thickness from the current design.

Yea, I understand this is just the Haswell printout, but I had forgotten about the 2 + GT3 ULV they had and I don't remember if anyone currently uses that. Plus I wasn't positive if Broadwell will be out by the time the Pro 3 comes out or if they want to do a Pro 2+ variant.

I'd totally go for a Surface Pro 2+.

What are you talking about? They didn't promise us anything, they gave us what their direction was 10 years ago and frankly it was crap.

The effort they have been giving us is lower priced CPU's then 10 years ago, better IGP's and much broader support on die.

If you want your massively multi-core CPU (which I'm not sure why you would need it in this segment)
http://ark.intel.com/products/series/75809

Why is the dual core igp chip so much bigger? Is that normal?
GT2 vs GT3 graphics. Quad core + GT3 is pretty huge (260mm^2), about the size of an AMD die. ;)

I read in the comments section that the newer Haswell chips will still use the LGA1150 socket, but the electrical specification will change so current motherboards won't be compatible. Is this true? Does this imply that all currently purchased motherboard will only be good for this generation?
The LGA1150 socket changes are mostly for Broadwell:

bpGrAAW.png

Here's a 100 core CPU offered by Intel (ZiiLabs, formerly 3DLabs, was purchased from Creative back in 2012): http://www.ziilabs.com/products/processors/zms40.php

ARM-based and low power too. I'm sure it will fulfill your every need for a 64+ core CPU since that's all that matters, right? :p

Intel made that 80-core test chip, and there is also Larrabee which is 60+ (actual x86 cores) on a single die.

Also the dual core chip is just as big as the quad core chip because it has the bigger IGP (2 core + 40 EU/GT3 vs 4 core + 20 EU/GT2).

That wouldn't be all too surprising given the history of Intel CPU releases. Back then there were third party socket adapters in order to allow supposedly unsupported chips to run on older motherboards. There were Slot 1 to Socket 370 slotkets and Socket 370 adapters to step down voltages and run Tualatin core processors on older non-supported chipsets. The Intel 440BX chipset had an amazingly long run with the right adapters.

There were even adapters to run Pentium M laptop CPUs on certain Socket 478 desktop motherboards.

Back