Starcraft 2 Performance - i7-4770k

Milena

Limp Gawd
I picked up SC2 a few weeks ago and finished the WoL campaign, great game I enjoy it a lot.

The last couple days I started playing around with custom games and let 4 A.I.'s fight each other with me in spectator mode to watch the battle. I noticed when they run into each other and start a heavy fight i'm getting massive framedrops, the game is going down from a solid 60 FPS to 30-35 sometimes, CPU load is at 90-95% on one core at that time.

Is the game really so CPU bound that even my 4770k at 4.4Ghz can't hold 60 FPS during heavy battles? I didn't have these issues when playing through the campaign so maybe its the A.I. calculations?

Yes! The game engine is so old that it only runs on one core. Really pathetic since Blizzard makes such a tremendous amount of money each year. The person that can take a single core game like SC2 and make it run across multiple cores without having to reprogram said game will be a millionaire.

as cage said, its not your fault its the game.
i believe it also has to do with blizzard not wanting people with better pcs to have an advantage against others.
for instance, when one person lags everyone lags.

as cage said, its not your fault its the game.
i believe it also has to do with blizzard not wanting people with better pcs to have an advantage against others.
for instance, when one person lags everyone lags.

That's just how P2P works and it has nothing to do with performance.

SC2 is not a single core game, or at least it does not play like that. On my I2600k it uses anywhere between 2-3 core's when it is at full use and I never hit that 90% on a single core situation.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess its just the game engine then, I see 2 cores being used but only one is at very high load during the framedrops.

Maybe for Legacy of the Void Blizzard will update their engine a bit. In the meanwhile i'm trying to get good at this game.

SC2 is not a single core game, or at least it does not play like that. On my I2600k it uses anywhere between 2-3 core's when it is at full use and I never hit that 90% on a single core situation.

3 cores? Is that even possible? Are you sure it's SC2 being spread on three cores at once?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess its just the game engine then, I see 2 cores being used but only one is at very high load during the framedrops.

Maybe for Legacy of the Void Blizzard will update their engine a bit. In the meanwhile i'm trying to get good at this game.

An option you might try and see if it helps any (which I've seen suggested by many over the years, as a last-ditch effort), is to disable hyperthreading in the BIOS. See how that affects the CPU/core scheduling.

Another performance improvement that helps me, although it's on the GPU side of things (i.e., won't help with processing hundreds of units), is using a third-party piece of software called "RadeonPro". It enables triple buffering which helps iron out stuttering and vsync issues. But again, it's a separate realm from CPU-woes.

I wager that AMD Mantle support would work its magic real good on ol' SC2 :) Too bad we'll probably never see such happening, even for Legacy of the Void :/

SC2 uses up to 2 cores. Custom games are horribly unoptimized and will lag usually.

Custom games run fine. You probably have your graphics turned up too high. A common sc2 noob mistake.

Lol. I guess you haven't played Special Forces Elite 4 then. And seriously, lower graphics with dual 7950's an a 3770K @ 4.5ghz for a what, 5 year old game? The game is still a joke when it comes to performance and you know it.

I assume you misunderstood me, I meant Arcade games. I forgot SC2 decided to separate those now. (The system still blows compared to the SC1 custom/arcade game system)

Blizzard is really great at killing themselves. They even still refuse to update Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 with simple widescreen capability. There's unofficial mods that do it but you get banned for using them on battle.net.

Lol. I guess you haven't played Special Forces Elite 4 then. And seriously, lower graphics with dual 7950's an a 3770K @ 4.5ghz for a what, 5 year old game? The game is still a joke when it comes to performance and you know it.

I assume you misunderstood me, I meant Arcade games. I forgot SC2 decided to separate those now. (The system still blows compared to the SC1 custom/arcade game system)

Oh yeah I actually have seen that special forces elite map. That is such a piss poor SC2 RPG. In special forces elite there is experience points but you get exp whether or not you actually do anything. I can just stand still and not kill anything and I get the same amount of exp as if I were fighting. It's basically a "Wait 45 minutes until you get enough free exp/minerals to steamroll the bosses"

Back