PlayStation Now Is 'A Joke'

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have a feeling Sony fans aren't going to take kindly to this analyst calling PlayStation Now a "joke." On the flip side, when was the last time an analyst was right about anything? We don't call them "professional guessers" for nothing. :D

"PlayStation Now is a joke," he said in the latest issue of Game Informer. "There is no publisher that is going to license content that's less than two-years old because they would be concerned that they can't sell as many copies if they make it available for subscription or rental. "This has no prayer of working. None."

I love the idea but if Sony has proved anything it's that their network still isn't up to this challenge they couldn't even handle yesterdays release download traffic.

Analyst = Expert = Ex (has-been) - Spurt (drip under pressure)

How many analysts predicted the Broncos winning a close game against Seattle? Almost all of them.

This sounds the same as Steam's streaming service. It appears you still need to buy/rent the game so the only way publishers lose money is if their game can be rented and played to completion/boredom in a few hours.

The only advantage I can see over Steam's service is exclusive console titles but it still has all the usual console baggage.

I love the idea but if Sony has proved anything it's that their network still isn't up to this challenge they couldn't even handle yesterdays release download traffic.

Sony bought Gaikai for the PS Now. Those servers are separate. And the update downloaded absolutely fine for me at 530pm, probably one of the busier times of for the network. There's already been a leak (maybe more) of the PS Now beta, with a guy using a 5/1 connection (horrible). He said it minus some compression at times, it works like running of the disk. Now, I know that may change upon its release when many more are using it, but if a 5/1 connection can play it well, then I don't think it's wrong to be pretty optimistic, not Naive Jeeves.

I don't see the service being a joke for that reason. I see it being a joke due to the horrible QOS.

Sony bought Gaikai for the PS Now. Those servers are separate. And the update downloaded absolutely fine for me at 530pm, probably one of the busier times of for the network. There's already been a leak (maybe more) of the PS Now beta, with a guy using a 5/1 connection (horrible). He said it minus some compression at times, it works like running of the disk. Now, I know that may change upon its release when many more are using it, but if a 5/1 connection can play it well, then I don't think it's wrong to be pretty optimistic, not Naive Jeeves.

Ive seen video right now the lag in input is pretty bad. I hope it works but ill believe it when I see it myself. I'm on a 100mb Comcast business line with full gigabit home network and PSN still isn't what live or steam is. I have hope with more people paying now they spend that money wisely.

its a stop gap to them making a fully working ps3 emulator they are already working on a ps1 and 2 emu as seen here http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-4-to-get-ps1-ps2-emulator-report/1100-6417402/ with x86 and gcn they can make a functional ps3 emulator i think this is the huge reason for many ps3 games coming down the pipe and the continued support of the console

PS1 sure, you can already do it with a smartphone. PS2 can be done with a PC.
But the PS3 is a different beast. I don't think the PS4 has enough power to emulate it.

With respect to the real analysts out there, they take data sets and come to a conclusion by using statistical methods and analyzing historical data trending. The conclusions are only as good as the data that is collected. Using the Super Bowl reference, by all counts on the data throughout the rest of the regular season an analyst would logically come to the conclusion that the Broncos should have won.

Now an "analyst" like the guy in the article is just saying something and putting it out there to stir up controversy and gain more attention. People like this are looking to try and advance their career to a Michael Pachter-level and to sway public opinion in the marketplace, and damn the actual data and consequences.

Now I might be taking this a bit personally since I'm an analyst myself. But the fact is I realize that the data and conclusions I provide have long-reaching consequences on how resources are allocated and money is spent within my organization. I would never exaggerate or sensationalize for the sake of garnering "ohs" and "ahs" from the board and management.

I would also like to point out that I didn't choose this career path... It chose me :D.

Like i said in the past, there's 101 reasons why cloud gaming will never happen. It's a joke, that's for sure.

#1 Input lag. Should really speak for itself.

#2 Horribly inefficient. You have a server somewhere that runs constantly to service gamers, through an internet connection, and a very underpowered device at home. That's a lot of wasted electricity just to play a single player game.

#3 Subscription models are not the future. Nobody likes to pay for subscriptions to anything, and this requires a monthly fee and for you to purchase games? Not gonna happen. Also, what about your games if you can't pay the monthly fee?

#4 Games will stagnant in advancement. If the service does get popular and the servers are overwhelmed, then it's likely that game developers will make less demanding games that will look less impressive. Cause I'm sure companies are going to constantly upgrade their servers as games get more demanding. :rolleyes:

#5 Your game, which was only reliant on your home console, is now reliant on a network and a server somewhere. So if any of these go down, then your SOL. Where as right now you just plug in the console and play. As much as the future internet and servers are going to be bullet proof, they'll still find a way to go down. Every online service at some point goes down.

#6 Waste of internet traffic. Netflix vs cloud gaming aren't the same. Most of us watch 1 movie a few times, but some games go on and on. Games like World of Warcraft are perpetual, and have millions of people playing. I don't think even the internet in 10 years from now could stream every WoW player, without bringing the internet down to it's knees. And WoW is a game made in 2004, so that should tell you something.

With respect to the real analysts out there, they take data sets and come to a conclusion by using statistical methods and analyzing historical data trending. The conclusions are only as good as the data that is collected. Using the Super Bowl reference, by all counts on the data throughout the rest of the regular season an analyst would logically come to the conclusion that the Broncos should have won.:D.

I wonder why that data didn't include the last time the Bronco's broke scoring records against the Niner's. :D

PS1 sure, you can already do it with a smartphone. PS2 can be done with a PC.
But the PS3 is a different beast. I don't think the PS4 has enough power to emulate it.

If you use something like OpenCL or CUDA, you might be able to pull it off. The PS3 only has 1 PowerPC core, and the rest are SPE's. Very underutilized SPE's, and the code written for them can't be used on PC or Xbox 360. So most PS3 games just don't use it, or use many. Graphics aren't an issue cause it uses an off the shelf Nvidia GPU.

But that does leave that one 3Ghz PowerPC core needing to be emulated. Dolphin emulator authors made it very clear that you can't effectively emulate one cpu core over multiple CPUs. I'm sure there's a way to effectively do it, but it requires some serious code trickery.

Considering the GPU in the PS4 dwarfs the PS3's GPU, you could probably use it to emulate an SPE or two.

I wonder why that data didn't include the last time the Bronco's broke scoring records against the Niner's. :D
Just for the record, I picked Seattle to win two weeks ago :D. I even said to my family and coworkers that they were going to "whoop" Denver and win by a landslide :cool:.

Just for the record, I picked Seattle to win two weeks ago :D. I even said to my family and coworkers that they were going to "whoop" Denver and win by a landslide :cool:.

Sure you did:p
i was rooting for peyton mainly.but i sure didn't bet on them just had that feeling:D Seattle's been hot since last year and look what happened :D

At first I thought the article claims that Playstation console is now a joke. Didn't realize he was talking about "Playstation Now". I don't really care for PS Now or any game streaming service.This isn't the first of such service though, I wonder if he was ranting about it too when PC saw a similar service (can't recall the name at the moment).

Maybe Sony can make it work this time. If not, not a big deal IMO. It's not going to be a major selling point for PS4

At first I thought the article claims that Playstation console is now a joke. Didn't realize he was talking about "Playstation Now". I don't really care for PS Now or any game streaming service.This isn't the first of such service though, I wonder if he was ranting about it too when PC saw a similar service (can't recall the name at the moment).

Maybe Sony can make it work this time. If not, not a big deal IMO. It's not going to be a major selling point for PS4

eh, for some it might have been. They were told that while the system won't allow you to play old games via disc on the system that they were being given a method to play their older games. So for some that might have been a major selling point. You can't play your Xbox or Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One, but you can play your PS1-3 games on the PS4.

Just because someone calls themselves an analyst doesn't make them smart. It's like going on newegg and seeing how everyone in the reviews says "tech level: high" but can't figure out how to setup their bios.

I think that publishers would flock to a playstation model the same way that studios are happy to sell shows into syndication along with dvd's of the seasons. The most valuable kind of revenue is the kind that is recurring in nature. Old game bargain bin console sales will be lumpy based around things like summer vacation, liquidation sales, and holidays.

If Sony will pay these guys a fair amount all year round, there's no downside to the publisher because the publisher can estimate the amount of cannibalization and run that through their financial model to come up with what they perceive to be a fair price to charge Sony.

Pachter is actually quite respected for an analyst.

Note he's not saying that the PS4 is a joke, just the PlayStation Now service.

Like i said in the past, there's 101 reasons why cloud gaming will never happen. It's a joke, that's for sure.

#2 Horribly inefficient. You have a server somewhere that runs constantly to service gamers, through an internet connection, and a very underpowered device at home. That's a lot of wasted electricity just to play a single player game.

#3 Subscription models are not the future. Nobody likes to pay for subscriptions to anything, and this requires a monthly fee and for you to purchase games? Not gonna happen. Also, what about your games if you can't pay the monthly fee?

#4 Games will stagnant in advancement. If the service does get popular and the servers are overwhelmed, then it's likely that game developers will make less demanding games that will look less impressive. Cause I'm sure companies are going to constantly upgrade their servers as games get more demanding. :rolleyes:

#5 Your game, which was only reliant on your home console, is now reliant on a network and a server somewhere. So if any of these go down, then your SOL. Where as right now you just plug in the console and play. As much as the future internet and servers are going to be bullet proof, they'll still find a way to go down. Every online service at some point goes down.

#6 Waste of internet traffic. Netflix vs cloud gaming aren't the same. Most of us watch 1 movie a few times, but some games go on and on. Games like World of Warcraft are perpetual, and have millions of people playing. I don't think even the internet in 10 years from now could stream every WoW player, without bringing the internet down to it's knees. And WoW is a game made in 2004, so that should tell you something.

Excellent points, and sadly if it does succeed it will result in more "dumbing games down" then consoles themselves ever did.

eh, for some it might have been. They were told that while the system won't allow you to play old games via disc on the system that they were being given a method to play their older games. So for some that might have been a major selling point. You can't play your Xbox or Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One, but you can play your PS1-3 games on the PS4.

Indeed, it encourages consumers that are currently on the PS Brand to stick with the PS Brand as opposed to switching to an xbox one. Mind you, I don't think they are retaining a lot of customers with PS1-PS3 emulation though. As, if they are local to the PS Brand, they likely already own a PS3 and might be planning to keep it regardless as a media/blu-ray player. I know I probably would. It's still useful.

Pachter is actually quite respected for an analyst.

Note he's not saying that the PS4 is a joke, just the PlayStation Now service.
Pachter may know a lot of how the corporate side of things work, but video gaming is a consumer market. He also said that Take Two being purchased by EA was an inevitability back in 2008. I have often seen his analyses be wrong. In this case, if the licensing deals are right and the percentage of PSN users who convert to Now usage is high enough, the publishers will put their games on the service to make sure they get a cut of that consumer demand.

Disclaimer: I have not read the article yet because it is blocked at work :).

its a stop gap to them making a fully working ps3 emulator they are already working on a ps1 and 2 emu as seen here http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-4-to-get-ps1-ps2-emulator-report/1100-6417402/ with x86 and gcn they can make a functional ps3 emulator i think this is the huge reason for many ps3 games coming down the pipe and the continued support of the console

Very cool. I picked one up for the kids and they love it. I'll have to get one for me once they have the local emulators running. There are quite a few PS 2 games I would like to play.

To tell you the absolute truth, some people don't care if all the games are 2+ years old. In 2002 I was in college and didn't have much money so I picked up a Sega Dreamcast used and played that buying discounted used games for the next few years. If you've never played the games does it matter?

Oh, and I missed this but you're never going to see PS3 games emulated on the PS4, it's just not powerful enough. The architectures are too different and raw performance on a per-thread basis isn't much different (For the PPE thread, not the SPEs) the cell processor is a big mess and very difficult to emulate. You'd need a lot more powerful CPU hardware than the PS4 has to even try.

I don't get what the big deal is saying ps3 is a joke; I thought it was common knowledge that everyone already knew all consoles were a big joke.

I don't get what the big deal is saying ps3 is a joke; I thought it was common knowledge that everyone already knew all consoles were a big joke.

Only took about 2 pages for one of these tards to crawl out from under a rock....

#3 Subscription models are not the future.
Nobody likes to pay for subscriptions to anything, and this requires a monthly fee and for you to purchase games? Not gonna happen. Also, what about your games if you can't pay the monthly fee?

I don't really care about the rest of your reasons, but #3 just seems blatantly false. Subscription services that allow access to a library of multimedia are the future. Look at Netflix, Hulu, Xbox Live, Playstation Plus, and Spotify to name a few.

Back