Dell Cooks Up an Android PC on a HDMI Stick

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Dell has a new produced an Android-powered thin-client HDMI stick sized portable PC called the Wyse Cloud Connect. The unit contains just about everything you need to connect and function as a PC, all that is needed are the peripherals and you are off and running. :cool:

Oh neat... if there wasn't already a hundred billion of these around already

Um...wow, I kinda get the feeling that people don't understand what Dell is trying to sell. It's basically a really small thin client using Android as the OS with all your applications and junk running non-locally on a server someplace. You're just gonna be accessing that stuff through Citrix or whatever just like any other dumb terminal/thin client. Totally not yet another attempt to make a HDMI/USB stick sized thingey you plug into a TV to use as a media player or mini PC.

Yup prolly it's got the same hardware inside it (sorta like how every Tandberg VTC suite is just an x86 PC with a tiny bit of flash memory, custom Linux OS, and some specialty audio and video ports but still a PC) as a bunch of Android sticks, but the target market is business stuff doing business-y thin client-y things not some random person wanting to add tablet/phone like smarts to a HDMI screen they have in a living room.

Yeah, I think you guys are misreading this product. This is an extension of the existing Wyse thin client system. You can now connect into your existing Wyse system using this system on a stick. It's a closed system and it doesn't compete with any of those little Linux on a stick devices.

This is mostly going to sell to enterprise customers for POS systems and telecommuters.

Chromecast is an stripped down HDMI stick running Chrome of all things. No one was this upset with that.

I saw this about 6 months ago with my visit to Dell, could not talk much about it because I had to sign an NDA.

This would actually be perfect for a Car computer/ infotainment system if the Android Bluetooth stack allowed a phone to be paired with the OS

A little late to the game, but if the pricing is right I would consider it over the no name brands of these flooding the market.

Yeah, I think you guys are misreading this product. This is an extension of the existing Wyse thin client system. You can now connect into your existing Wyse system using this system on a stick. It's a closed system and it doesn't compete with any of those little Linux on a stick devices.

This is mostly going to sell to enterprise customers for POS systems and telecommuters.

Yep for sure, this is for the VDI empire Wyse has built.

Back