Rare NES Title (Almost) Sells for Over $99,000 on eBay

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A very rare copy of Nintendo World Championships game for the original NES just sold on eBay for a whopping $99,902 dollars. (with free shipping) Never, ever complain about the $50-60 bucks normally paid for top shelf games again. :D

There were only 116 copies of the game created, and it was never sold to consumers.

Updated: The sale did not go through as planned, so all of you hopeful bidders will get another shot at the prize. :D

Last edited:
Funny thing is that it isn't even the gold cartridge version.

Not surprised the winning bidder backed out. With that much publicity you can bet the trolls come out in force :eek:

Troll or not it's fucking amazing someone would pay any non-trivial amount for something like this. OMG it's rare... yeah it's games you can play elsewhere, but the cartridge itself is rare because they didn't make many of them. One man's garbage... .

when I read the first article I had a feeling that the top bidder would back out and that people would be spamming them.

Also always surprised at how many young kids end up bidding on stuff like that. People really need to do a better job securing their accounts from us

Troll or not it's fucking amazing someone would pay any non-trivial amount for something like this. OMG it's rare... yeah it's games you can play elsewhere, but the cartridge itself is rare because they didn't make many of them. One man's garbage... .

You can say the same for comic books, baseball cards, stamps, coins, or just about any other hobby involving collecting things.

Well, collector's items that go for high prices are typically mint. This, on the other hand, is a filthy piece of crap.

Being a classic game collector a good condition gray edition of NWC would go between $5000 to $7500. The condition that thing is in shouldn't go for more than about $1800 to at most $3000.

sad thing is, 2 others popped up almost immediately and sadly this will probably start raising the prices of other classic games because everything will think there mario/duck hunt cart is worth a million dollars

It was a BS auction that was pushed up by random folks and the seller

I don't think the seller was in on it. I could be naive in that regard, But after reading his comments on one of the nes forums he didn't give off that shady vibe at all.

I highly doubt that any buyer would want to pay almost $100K for some game, especially an old one even if it is considered "rare" and "limited edition".

Back