Sony: PlayStation Now Will Require a DualShock Controller

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
This would be one of those times when Sony should say ‘oh, by the way'…..you’re going to have to have a DualShock controller to play games. Instead of addressing the control issues head-on, Sony opted to require the use of a DualShock controller instead.

That may sound like Sony cashing in by requiring you purchase an expensive games controller, but if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense for gamers, too.

Given what they are pushing here, I don't really see it as a surprise. The alternative would be attempting to support different controllers on thousands of games that never did in the first place. Anyone with a little bit of intelligence should be able to see that not happening.

Meh not a big deal, most PS4 owner that want Now will already have a PS3 with a dualshock3.

What is stupid is the fact that right now dualshock3 isn't supported on the PS4 to boost sales of new controllers...

The alternative would be attempting to support different controllers on thousands of games that never did in the first place. Anyone with a little bit of intelligence should be able to see that not happening.

That, or something stupid like using your Bravia remote control or Xperia smartphone as a controller.

When I first heard of Gaikai/PS Now, I automatically assumed a Dualshock or Vita would be a requirement. Heck, I was surprised when they announced that even a console wasn't necessary if you use one of their TVs.

Meh not a big deal, most PS4 owner that want Now will already have a PS3 with a dualshock3.

What is stupid is the fact that right now dualshock3 isn't supported on the PS4 to boost sales of new controllers...

why would it be supported? that is like saying it is stupid that the xbox one doesn't support the xbox 360 controller. New systems, new controllers. they aren't backwards compatible so why bother supporting the old controllers that wouldn't have the needed features for the new games.

a lot of new games utilize the trackpad, if the PS4 supported the dualshock 3 easily, then developers would just opted not to use the trackpad. Then the trackpad would be a useless feature, just like why the playstation eye (playstation 4's camera) is not gaining much attention compared to the xbox one's kinect, both from developers and consumers.

Knowing the way Sony thinks, it probably has to be an official Sony-branded dualshock controller too and not the Madcats or Logitech versions

ps3 supported ps2 controller its not that big a deal, Dual shock should be able to be used period not an engineer by any means but I do not see why it cannot be used as they do have the same amount of buttons minus the ps3 has the center button and ps4 has that fancy screen, lighting, and can plug in headset or some such thing.

If they really wanted my $ they would allow backwards compatability they obviously want to make $ but cmon now.

How in the hell would those controller issues be addressed without taking this route?

ps3 supported ps2 controller its not that big a deal, Dual shock should be able to be used period not an engineer by any means but I do not see why it cannot be used as they do have the same amount of buttons minus the ps3 has the center button and ps4 has that fancy screen, lighting, and can plug in headset or some such thing.

If they really wanted my $ they would allow backwards compatability they obviously want to make $ but cmon now.

But you could also play PS2 games on the PS3 so your point there isn't valid.

Do you not understand how fucking expensive backward compatibility was for them to add to the PS3. that is why the PS3 was so expensive when they first hit and they still lost a lot of money. Launch price was $600 and they were still losing about $600 or more per system. They had to quickly start tossing backward compatibility to get the price for them down to where they weren't bleeding money on the system. They can't afford to bleed money like that again so a PS4 playing PS3 games would probably have to cost about $800 for them to be fine. Think people are going to want to spend that much.

They are getting around this lack of ability by bring out PlayStation Now. So you will be able to play some older games on the PS4, while not a perfect replacement it is something.

Why can't they just map the left side of the touch pad for the Select button and the right side for the Start button. Or just use the share for select and options for start. I just don't want another controller. I would just rather use the DS4 since I have two already and no DS3.

For those that didn't RTFA. Sony didn't specify "Which" dualshock controller, they just said a dualshock. It was the writer of the article who speculated the DS3.

But you could also play PS2 games on the PS3 so your point there isn't valid.

Do you not understand how fucking expensive backward compatibility was for them to add to the PS3. that is why the PS3 was so expensive when they first hit and they still lost a lot of money. Launch price was $600 and they were still losing about $600 or more per system. They had to quickly start tossing backward compatibility to get the price for them down to where they weren't bleeding money on the system. They can't afford to bleed money like that again so a PS4 playing PS3 games would probably have to cost about $800 for them to be fine. Think people are going to want to spend that much.

They are getting around this lack of ability by bring out PlayStation Now. So you will be able to play some older games on the PS4, while not a perfect replacement it is something.

funny if you think about this a bit, there were folks who "broke" PS3 that DID NOT have the parts either soft or hard to be able to play ps2 and yet still could, sony just did not want to spend the time or effort to do this, so they reported to PSN to make $.

For the controller they do have emulators for a reason, am sure if they really wanted to they could make a simple emulator just as nearly every game out there for all consoles and all computers have key mapping available, they do not want to that's fine, but they shouldn`t be coming up with lame ass excuses to cover up their laziness :)

An emulated controller would be a costly work around and never the solution.
The "head on" final solution would be to require the use of the original controller.
Sony may have made an irritating design mistake by deviating to far outside of their own standard here.

funny if you think about this a bit, there were folks who "broke" PS3 that DID NOT have the parts either soft or hard to be able to play ps2 and yet still could, sony just did not want to spend the time or effort to do this, so they reported to PSN to make $.

For the controller they do have emulators for a reason, am sure if they really wanted to they could make a simple emulator just as nearly every game out there for all consoles and all computers have key mapping available, they do not want to that's fine, but they shouldn`t be coming up with lame ass excuses to cover up their laziness :)

Engrish?

The dualshock4 is such a massive improvement over its predecessor that I don't know why anyone would give a millionth of a fuck that the DS3 doesn't work with the PS4.

The dualshock4 is such a massive improvement over its predecessor that I don't know why anyone would give a millionth of a fuck that the DS3 doesn't work with the PS4.
the DS4 doesnt sit in my hands nearly as comfortably as the DS3. The triggers are better though.

Either way, sony never said the DS4 wouldn't work on PSNow. Its possible that it still could (Map options to start and touchpad click to select. Which makes sense since on PS4 PSNow uses DS4.) Any bluetooth compatible third party DS3 alternatives would probably work too, however most third party PS3 controllers still used dongles instead of bluetooth.

I wouldn't expect any controller support outside of PS compatible ones though, as they wouldn't want to confuse general consumers with the input prompts.

the DS4 doesnt sit in my hands nearly as comfortably as the DS3. The triggers are better though.

Either way, sony never said the DS4 wouldn't work on PSNow. Its possible that it still could (Map options to start and touchpad click to select. Which makes sense since on PS4 PSNow uses DS4.) Any bluetooth compatible third party DS3 alternatives would probably work too, however most third party PS3 controllers still used dongles instead of bluetooth.

I wouldn't expect any controller support outside of PS compatible ones though, as they wouldn't want to confuse general consumers with the input prompts.

You are missing the point. I fully expect the DS4 controller to work with PS Now. People here are bitching that the PlayStation 4 doesn't use the same controller as the PlayStation 3, or won't allow you to use the old PlayStation 3 controller. They don't think they should have to buy new controllers for the PlayStation 4 since they already bought controllers for the PlayStation 3.

It's probably going to support whatever system your playing from (PS3 + DS3, PS4 +DS4, and Vita) and require the DS3 for everything else. I'd imagine the DS3 will see another price drop around the summer to a 29.99/24.99 price range.

What would be surprising is if they allow DS4 to be compatible with everything else as well. I enjoy the Playstation brand and their games but the DS3 sucked balls. The DS4 is my favorite controller atm, I used to only use the 360 controller on PC and even the cheap 360 style version third party one for the PS3.

I imagine this has to do with the pressure sensitive buttons being required for some games and instead of dropping support for those games they will just require a ds3 controller instead.

I think dropping something functional like pressure sensitive buttons for a gimmick like a touch pad was a dumb move in the first place.

I imagine this has to do with the pressure sensitive buttons being required for some games and instead of dropping support for those games they will just require a ds3 controller instead.

I think dropping something functional like pressure sensitive buttons for a gimmick like a touch pad was a dumb move in the first place.

I disagree, after using it for Killzone and AC4 I'm rather accustomed to it now and it makes sense. What games used the pressure sensitive buttons on the DS3?

I disagree, after using it for Killzone and AC4 I'm rather accustomed to it now and it makes sense. What games used the pressure sensitive buttons on the DS3?

Pretty much every gta, gran tursimo used them from the ps2 too current, MLB the show and metal gear games used them as well. I'm sure there are other racing games and such that used them in any case it functioned much better then the accelerometer or current gimmick the touch pad.

Taking my hand off the buttons to use the crappy touchpad hampers my control and has no added benefit. Even something you would think it would help with like in war thunder I tried placing decals on my plane and the experience is excruciating how poor it is for anything other then swiping directions.

Back