Samsung Launches DDR4 Memory Modules

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Samsung has announced the launch of the first chips that comply with the DDR4 standard. The new standard will double the speed of the DDR3 chips, while lowering the voltage and conserving power consumption.

The new DDR4 DRAM standard can support up to 4,266 million transfers per second (tps) compared to the DDR3 maximum of 2,133 million tps and is expected to support significantly faster computers and tablets even with lower processor clock speeds.

You realize, that unlike CPU design, GPU design, and Hard Disk technology, DRAM technology has not made much progress in over 20 YEARS. All hype all the time.

In 1992 I was using 60ns page mode drams feeding a 50Mhz bus 68040, with a true access time of 32ns. I'm typing on 2014 DDR3 which (DDR3-2000, 250Mhz actual clock, 8-8-8-24) which has a true access speed of (CAS 8) or 8x 4.0ns per access = for you guessed it, 32ns.

Yes, the SYSTEM design has improved, the dram chips are now highly parallel with part of the memory controller built in, but the improvements in bandwidth comes from implementing a very wide bus and burst mode access with much bigger blocks. The actual DRAM element inside the DDR/2/3/4 chip has barely changed, damn physics.

The place where huge progress has been made is in power consumption, transistor design and materials science have made huge gains.

so does the MSRP require consumers to sell a valuable organ to purchase. joking aside I wonder what the market msrp is going to be, I`d assume the price of a new DDR4 module will be comparable to the price of an intel i3.

I skimmed it, but it sounds like this is mostly going into phones and tablets. I didn't see any mention of PC based DDR4. That said, you're already bending over for RAM. A year ago, I bought 32GB of ram for just over 100 bucks. Same RAM is now, at least, double that. Hell, I got 8GB (4GBx2) of ram for buying a $130 Motherboard.

Not sure what happened, but I wish I'd bought more memory in 2012.

I skimmed it, but it sounds like this is mostly going into phones and tablets. I didn't see any mention of PC based DDR4. That said, you're already bending over for RAM. A year ago, I bought 32GB of ram for just over 100 bucks. Same RAM is now, at least, double that. Hell, I got 8GB (4GBx2) of ram for buying a $130 Motherboard.

Not sure what happened, but I wish I'd bought more memory in 2012.

The prices for the current generation of ram have always sky rocketed when it's replacement is right around the corner.

I see no need for DDR4 ram in desktops unless there was an application specific that showed it was much faster in that I had to have. Only way I'd upgrade is if I had to for a faster cpu/memory/motherboard combination and for gaming, websurfing, and movie watching, my Core I5 is still holding on very well almost 3 years later.

2001 - "I see no need for DDR ram in desktops unless there was an application specific that showed it was much faster in that I had to have."

2003 - "I see no need for DDR2 ram in desktops unless there was an application specific that showed it was much faster in that I had to have."

2007 - "I see no need for DDR3 ram in desktops unless there was an application specific that showed it was much faster in that I had to have."

monty-python-deja-vu-o.gif

Probably by 2016 all Intel motherboards will only have DDR4 sockets.. so even if you don't want DDR4, you are going to be forced to get it eventually.

Back