Doom Turns 20 Years Old Today

I was 12. I really thought my parents would deny me the game, due to the (at the time) hyper-violence. They had no problem with it. In fact, my Dad helped me put together my first few map pack WADs.

Man I'm getting old.

Well I suppose I'll celebrate with some Brutal Doom tonight! (Seriously if you haven’t played this mod you’re missing out!)

This brings me back, Doom/ simcity 2000 . . . those were the days :)

I have the id Collection from Steam so looks like it's Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen, and Final Doom for tonite's entertainment :D

well.....I just wasted a good half hour going though the first 5 levels.....man were those the good days. I gotta dig up the mod I created, and play that tonight! The original doom was good, but with my blood mod, it was so much gore!

Its kinda funny, but I never actually played more than the first episode (the extent of the shareware version), until a couple of years ago... :)

I'm sure I'm not the only one!

ahh the good old days of playing doom, heretic, warcraft 2, C&C, and hexen over the modem by calling your friends lol and that damn annoying fax like noise it made when you connected, lol.

oh yea and damn you mom and dad for ruinging half my games by picking up the phone lol, oh yea rise of the triad too, that was another awesome one.

The first time I played Doom was in our local mall. They had about 5 computers set up in a little area next to the food court to demo them. Nobody was really taking much interest in it until I sat down and started slaughtering monsters with disturbing efficiency. The controls were the same as Wolfenstein on my Tandy, so I was right at home. The people showing the computers told me to keep playing as long as I wanted because of all the spectators who wandered over to watch once they had someone there who knew how to play.

I'll just echo my Facebook post:

"The gang at HardOCP make me feel like an old fart once again by reminding us that today "Doom" turns 20 years old. How old were YOU when Doom came out and what was your life like?

Me? I was 18 years old and in high school. I was only a couple of years into PC's since before that I was a Commodore 64 guy. Having enjoyed Wolfenstein 3D immensely I and every PC guru I knew were SO looking forward to the new 'First Person Shooter' from Id Software (a term that was pretty much unheard of at the time). Textured FLOORS and CEILINGS??? No WAY. A rich soundtrack (still consisting mostly of Adlib or General MIDI) in STEREO (if you were lucky enough to have the sound hardware)? YES.

And when I finally got the shareware version I fired it up on our 386sx/25 with 4MB RAM and after ten minutes playing (in a scaled down window) I was violently ill. The new 'up and down' motion of your character 'walking' was too much for my senses. In fact it's still pretty easy for me to get motion sick in some games today ... I'm looking at YOU, Bioshock franchise!

Still, it was an awesome experience back then - and I don't think any of the kids today will ever have a similar experience. It was a different time back then... no 'internet' to speak of, just dozens of local BBSes (remember those?) where you waited hours or days to download a new game via ZModem or HS-Link. (heh, download protocols - remember those???)

God I feel old."

I'll just echo my Facebook post:

"The gang at HardOCP make me feel like an old fart once again by reminding us that today "Doom" turns 20 years old. How old were YOU when Doom came out and what was your life like?

Me? I was 18 years old and in high school. I was only a couple of years into PC's since before that I was a Commodore 64 guy. Having enjoyed Wolfenstein 3D immensely I and every PC guru I knew were SO looking forward to the new 'First Person Shooter' from Id Software (a term that was pretty much unheard of at the time). Textured FLOORS and CEILINGS??? No WAY. A rich soundtrack (still consisting mostly of Adlib or General MIDI) in STEREO (if you were lucky enough to have the sound hardware)? YES.

And when I finally got the shareware version I fired it up on our 386sx/25 with 4MB RAM and after ten minutes playing (in a scaled down window) I was violently ill. The new 'up and down' motion of your character 'walking' was too much for my senses. In fact it's still pretty easy for me to get motion sick in some games today ... I'm looking at YOU, Bioshock franchise!

Still, it was an awesome experience back then - and I don't think any of the kids today will ever have a similar experience. It was a different time back then... no 'internet' to speak of, just dozens of local BBSes (remember those?) where you waited hours or days to download a new game via ZModem or HS-Link. (heh, download protocols - remember those???)

God I feel old."

Oh jeez, now I REALLY feel old. Zmodem? I remember that.

bloody hell is it really that long? i was thirteen when it came out. my high school had crap acorn/arcemedes pcs and one dos based pc capable of playing doom. i remeber manahing to install it and playing ot during my lunch break,

shame things like shareware is none exsistant these days

I miss games like Doom, where shit doesn't talk, shit doesn't want to talk, shit just wants to fuck you up and turn you into shit that's worse than the shit that's on the bottom of the boot of whatever is killing you.

It was genuinely frightening when you see a Cyberdemon wanting nothing more than to end your life. Or the Spider Demon wanting to turn you to swiss cheese. It's not just an age thing when I was younger, today, the only game that instills that same type of fear is Demon Souls or Dark Souls.

These games didn't rely on shock scares or cheap scares. It relied on the symbolism and feeling of claustrophobia and isolation and it worked well.

I played Chex Quest (a nonviolent version of Ultimate Doom) before I ever heard of Doom.

chex_shot.jpg

My senior year in high school.... Wow. It seems like yesterday. That makes me feel old because I remember buying the shareware disc from Payless.

I didn't have a computer back then, but I played the snes version. now i know that is a really inferior port, but back then I was in awe of how you could create a 3d world to shoot monsters in.

this is the game that started my passion for PC gaming... and got me interested in computer networks for the first time... we setup a 4 way deathmatch network in our house and didn't get a lot of sleep for the next few months.. wow that was fun.

for some more nostalgia: http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/

I was in college. Played it on a 386DX-40 with either an SB or SB16. Hours and hours and hours of not doing homework.

Oh the days of setting IRQ and DMA addresses on ISA expansion cards...... Putting modem nul strings into the "AT" string to make the damn thing dial out.

And ROTT was the absolute best FPS game ever created. DOS4GW, autoexec.bat, config.sys, SB8, SB16, SBAWE32..... geez....Time to go set up a dos box to play Rebel Assault.

Six months from now, every game on the market will be advertising this, but we had it first: texture mapping

Ok, slight paraphrased, but seeing the screenshot of the game and reading the description was my firsty memory of Doom, and oddly one that sticks out more than actually playing the game. Just that one screenshot was enough to trigger a "holy shit this is the future" response, in much the same way that my first play of Wolfenstien 3D (at a friends house with a much better computer than mine...) and Descent, which was a freaking slideshow on my (dad's) PC, but I didn't care. It was absolutely amazing.

I don''t recall when exactly I got Doom Shareware, but I think that it was on one of those "80 games" shareware compilation CDs. Man, when I was a kid with no money, those things were amazing.

I still remember my many early mornings with Doom... My folks were the conservative kind, so I couldn't play it around them, but I still knew it was awesome... Though that's probably part of the reason why I remember Magic Carpet and Descent more. I didn't have to hide those.

Ah. Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/Titanium-seal-shareware-mega-hits/dp/B0052QONUK

That's the CD I got Doom on. That CD was absolutely amazing at the time.

And I forgot to mention it in my first post (and can't edit here...), but I first saw the screenshot and description of Doom in Public Brand Software catalog. That catalog was like the ultimate candy store for a broke kid. Disks were only a dollar or two, which I could actually afford :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I remember being up late and seeing this new game to download on a BBS. Doom? WTF is that? Screw it I'll check it out.

I thought no fucking way when I saw the gun swaying as I walked. Lots of good stuff came out this time of the year for awhile in the 90s.

Seeing Doom for the first time on a PC at school was probably most impressed/excited I have ever been for gaming and virtual reality. It was hypnotic as all hell.

this had us stumped for a night... then we put the terminators in and BINGO it all worked. :)

oh man, those fucking finicky BNC cables. also, everytime we had a LAN party, we would plan n+1 days for troubleshooting and manually assigning IRQs on ISA LAN adapters. good times.

Ah Doom. First game that forced me to upgrade my PC. It ran like a slideshow on my 386SX16, so I upgraded to a 486 just for Doom. Been gaming and upgrading computers for those games since...lol!

Played a treat on my dads new VL-Bus based 33Mhz 486DX with a Cirrus Logic VGA card and 4MB of ram. Got even better when I bought a 8bit Soundblaster card.

I remember I had to keep the files zipped though as space was running short on the 170MB HDD.

I was 22 at the time.

Back