The FCC to Release Mobile Broadband Speed Test App

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
What started as a project three years ago and was basically forgotten, will be resurrected by the new FCC chair, Tom Wheeler to gauge the actual mobile broadband speeds across the nation. The App will be released sometime next spring.

The agency says that the new app "will do everything the old app did — allow you to run real time tests of latency, upload and download speeds on your smartphone.”

Is there really a need for another speed test?...

Is there really a need for another speed test?...

Considering ISPs are notorious for copping-out to your speed issues as belonging to faulty enduser hardware, YES. Hopefully the goal of this is to hold them accountable for slower than advertised speeds.

Ide imagine an ISP can detect and throttle any popular speed test. I have a few I use that are usually decently off from the "big name" tests.

The FCC .. how pointless they are. Bunch of PR that never comes to reality and they are in the pocket of the ISP industry thanks to lobby power.

Have it work in the mobile browser. It will be much better to use at mobile network stores where you can't go around installing apps.

The FCC .. how pointless they are. Bunch of PR that never comes to reality and they are in the pocket of the ISP industry thanks to lobby power.

The FCC does more then just internet related things. They are hardly worthless.

Teensy bit ironic that a program is developed to push one group of people towards doing things faster, and the program itself has gone through phases of mothballing and delays.

"Yes We Can!" waste money like there is no debt crisis, and people aren't languishing unemployed.

What Debt crisis? The FCC costs next to nothing. The $17 Trillion of today costs us $280 Billion in interest per year. The $6.5 Trillion of Ronnie Raygun cost us $650 Billion per year. :mad::rolleyes:

We are borrowing 3 times as much at 1/3 the cost.... that is a Debt Bargain and we should borrow another $30 TRILLION at these terms. :eek::D

What Debt crisis? The FCC costs next to nothing. The $17 Trillion of today costs us $280 Billion in interest per year. The $6.5 Trillion of Ronnie Raygun cost us $650 Billion per year. :mad::rolleyes:

We are borrowing 3 times as much at 1/3 the cost.... that is a Debt Bargain and we should borrow another $30 TRILLION at these terms. :eek::D

Would you guys mind giving me some? My eldest is headed into high school and there are four more after her. I could use a billion or two to us for... college funds.. Yeah college funds...

Back