GeForce 331.65 WHQL Game Ready Drivers

HardOCP News

[H] News
The new GeForce 331.65 WHQL drivers are now available. In addition to the new 331.65 WHQL drivers, this download also has GeForce Experience v1.7 bundled with it, which includes support for NVIDIA GameStream and GeForce ShadowPlay. Here's what's new:

Performance Boost – Increases performance by up to 19% for GeForce 400/500/600/700 series GPUs in several PC games vs. GeForce 327.23 WHQL-certified drivers. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration. Here is one example of measured gains:

GeForce GTX 690/770/780/TITAN:
  • Up to 12% in Battlefield 4
  • Up to 19% in Sniper Elite V2
  • Up to 13% in Dirt: Showdown
  • Up to 9% in Metro: Last Light
  • Up to 9% in Sleeping Dogs
  • Up to 8% in Max Payne 3
  • Up to 6% in F1 2012

SLI Technology
  • Batman: Arkham Origins – updated profile
  • Battlefield 4 – updated profile
  • Shadow Warrior – added DX9 profile
  • War of the Vikings – added DX11 profile
  • Dragon Sword - updated DX9 profile
  • GRID 2 - updated DX11 profile
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2 - updated profile
  • Gaming Technology ◦Enables GeForce ShadowPlay™ technology
  • Civilization 5 – added HBAO+
  • SHIELD ◦Enables NVIDIA GameStream™ technology
  • 4K Displays ◦Adds support for 4K Surround

Additional Details
  • Installs new PhysX System Software 9.13.0725.
  • Installs HD Audio v1.3.26.4
  • Installs GeForce Experience v9.3.16.0
  • Includes support for applications built using CUDA 5.5 or earlier version of the CUDA Toolkit.
  • Supports DisplayPort 1.2 for GeForce GTX 600 series GPUs.
  • Supports multiple languages and APIs for GPU computing: CUDA C, CUDA C++, CUDA Fortran, OpenCL, DirectCompute, and Microsoft C++ AMP.
  • Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, DirectX 11, and OpenGL, including 3-way SLI, Quad SLI, and SLI support on SLI-certified Intel and AMD motherboards.

Got random hard locks with these drivers on my system. Rolled back to 327 and they immediately stopped.

Mine do the same hard locks whenever I'm using Nvidia Surround gaming on these drivers. Going to just SLI mode, or rolling back and doing surround works...

Seems to be working for me. I only updated to try shadowplay. The recording was good and it didn't seem to degrade the game in anyway, but it didn't record all the sounds. There were missing sounds here and there, like sometimes sound fx, sometimes dialog. I am running sound as 5.1 though in the game (Batman Arkham Origins) so maybe that is why. No crashes or hard lock bugs for me but I am only running a single 670 card at 2560x1600 and I didn't really play long (about 5 minutes the default buffer length @ 1080p capture) I just wanted to see how it would affect the game with it on.

I've been using these drivers for about a day. Ran a clean install. Drivers are rock-solid for me and Shadow Play works properly. Skyrim and Borderlands 2 run flawlessly. I'll check the other games I play sometime today and report back.

do these freeze up desktop with GTX 560ti?

The latest driver that I can use that doesn't give me these random lock ups/freezes is 314.22

but I need these latest ones for BF4 tomorrow, what do I do?

2 WHQL drivers less then 1 week apart?...Nvidia must be feeling the heat...

Im interested to try out this shadowplay...
Same. Might need to invest in another SSD to handle the burden, though.

It's a tough life, having to buy these solid state drives all the time. Things'll get better, though.

Feeling heat from what, exactly?

These were released to support ShadowPlay, live streaming, and Nvidia Shield... I don't believe AMD has any competing products in those areas that would put heat on Nvidia.

Or are we talking physical heat, like the warm glow of an R9 290X? :D

Feeling heat from what, exactly?

These were released to support ShadowPlay, live streaming, and Nvidia Shield... I don't believe AMD has any competing products in those areas that would put heat on Nvidia.

Or are we talking physical heat, like the warm glow of a R9 290X? :D

tell me the last time Nvidia released 2 WHQL drivers within 1 week...why couldn't they include ShadowPlay etc in last week's driver?...if you don't think Nvidia is feeling the heat then you're not paying attention...dropping the price of the 780 from $650 to $500 was not done because Nvidia is in the holiday spirit

Same. Might need to invest in another SSD to handle the burden, though.

It's a tough life, having to buy these solid state drives all the time. Things'll get better, though.

I just recorded some game play to a WD Green and it came out fine (even downsampled to 1080 from my 1440 source), since it's all being encoded on the GPU before being written to disk the I/O dependency shouldn't be that hefty (no more than downloading a BD quality video really).

do these freeze up desktop with GTX 560ti?

The latest driver that I can use that doesn't give me these random lock ups/freezes is 314.22

but I need these latest ones for BF4 tomorrow, what do I do?

I'd like to know this as well, I'm also still on the 314.22 with my gtx 560 and hesitant to upgdate...

I'd like to know this as well, I'm also still on the 314.22 with my gtx 560 and hesitant to upgdate...

it almost feels like Nvidia is telling me to buy a new GPU instead. I played BF4 on my 560ti, it was perfectly playable on Medium Settings, I was happy with it and I don't want to upgrade yet.

tell me the last time Nvidia released 2 WHQL drivers within 1 week...why couldn't they include ShadowPlay etc in last week's driver?
Because it wasn't ready then, but it is ready now...

Also not uncommon to have multiple development branches working simultaneously. The last WQHL release was a branch-build with various bug fixes added to it over the last few betas (developed in parallel with trunk builds), while this WHQL release was more likely a direct trunk-build.

if you don't think Nvidia is feeling the heat then you're not paying attention...
Again, feeling the heat from what? AMD has no products that compete with the features that Nvidia is releasing here (ShadowPlay, Streaming, Shield), so it's not like Nvidia is doing this in retaliation to anything.

dropping the price of the 780 from $650 to $500 was not done because Nvidia is in the holiday spirit
The price drop was necessary to position the GTX 780 Ti.

I just tested ShadowPlay and it seemed efficient enough. The game was on an SSD and the video was being recorded to an HDD (both SATA3). I didn't notice any performance hit. It did upscale the video from 1680×1050 to 1920×1080 so that may have smoothed it out (filtered the image) a bit but other than that it looks great and the game mostly ran 60FPS.

Video here whenever it's done processing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=espIfVUqLao&hd=1

Of course, YouTube only does 30FPS, I think.

Last edited:
Again, feeling the heat from what? AMD has no products that compete with the features that Nvidia is releasing here (ShadowPlay, Streaming, Shield), so it's not like Nvidia is doing this in retaliation to anything.

BF4 is an AMD sponsored game...ignoring Mantle for the time being, Nvidia is trying to tell people look we have game ready drivers ready to go on launch, pick us!!...the heat from the competition forcing Nvidia to try and compete with an API totally geared towards AMD...the 290 series, BF4, next-gen consoles all using AMD hardware and their incredible Never Settle bundles have combined to create the perfect storm for AMD

i hit alt + f9 and it doesn't record....:X Does it only work for supported games listed on their website?

BF4 is an AMD sponsored game...ignoring Mantle for the time being, Nvidia is trying to tell people look we have game ready drivers ready to go on launch, pick us!!
Er... ok? So what are you saying? Nvidia isn't allowed to release optimizations as they become available?

Though BF4 isn't the headline feature for this driver, ShadowPlay is...

the heat from the competition forcing Nvidia to try and compete with an API totally geared towards AMD...the 290 series, BF4, next-gen consoles all using AMD hardware and their incredible Never Settle bundles have combined to create the perfect storm for AMD
I don't see how this has anything to do with competing with Mantle... which isn't even out yet (not as part of any AMD driver, and not as part of any game, not even BF4).

You're not making a whole lot of sense here man...

You're not making a whole lot of sense here man...

if you're not seeing that AMD is bringing some serious heat/competition into the video card market over the last few months then that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me

as far as BF4...you're the one that stated that Nvidia is not doing this in retaliation to anything from AMD...of course they are...they are competing with Mantle before it officially becomes available because they know the potential it has for serious performance gains for AMD...'serious' meaning major hence the italics

I just tested ShadowPlay and it seemed efficient enough. The game was on an SSD and the video was being recorded to an HDD (both SATA3). I didn't notice any performance hit. It did upscale the video from 1680×1050 to 1920×1080 so that may have smoothed it out (filtered the image) a bit but other than that it looks great and the game mostly ran 60FPS.

Video here whenever it's done processing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=espIfVUqLao&hd=1

Of course, YouTube only does 30FPS, I think.
Play a more demanding game. Borderlands is about as basic as it gets. I can steam both BL2 and Payday 2 with zero hit to my system. I'm running a GTX680.

Play something that puts a greater load on your CPU and see how the system performs.

Play a more demanding game. Borderlands is about as basic as it gets. I can steam both BL2 and Payday 2 with zero hit to my system. I'm running a GTX680.

Play something that puts a greater load on your CPU and see how the system performs.

As the CPU doesn't really enter into the encoding process it would have little to no impact (especially if you're writing to a different disk queue).

if you're not seeing that AMD is bringing some serious heat/competition into the video card market over the last few months then that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me
I see AMD trying to be the bang-for-buck player on raw performance, that's pretty much it.

Nvidia is just busy dolloping on features (and some nice ones, at that) to their existing lineup (which already has cards in the 290x's performance league).

as far as BF4...you're the one that stated that Nvidia is not doing this in retaliation to anything from AMD...
Because they're not. These drivers are there to implement ShadowPlay + Streaming video + Shield.

AMD has nothing like any of those products :rolleyes:

of course they are...they are competing with Mantle before it officially becomes available
BF4 performance improvement driver came out ages ago (long before this driver) so I'm still not sure what you're on about.

And how can you compete against something that doesn't yet exist? :rolleyes:

because they know the potential it has for serious performance gains for AMD...'serious' meaning major hence the italics
So they released a driver that has nothing to do with BF4 performance specifically... in order to... somehow show up AMD's unreleased API?

Still not following your train of thought. I am enjoying the screen recording features, though :D

Upgrading to these drivers gives me a ton of input lag, like even moving a browser window around etc. So laggy.

edit: seems to have cleared up after a reboot. (I did reboot after installing drivers)

The heat of pissed off customers. The reason for the release was widespread BSOD and hard freezing requiring a manual power off. Firefox was a real problem, opening Google maps and then scrolling around too much for too long would cause a system freeze. I don't think the problem is completely fixed though, I still get these weird freezing moments for a couple seconds, but at least it recovers.

BL2 has its moments, mainly when anything PhysX is involved. Really, it shouldn't be demanding but PhysX makes it a dog at times.

I did some Far Cry 3 (needs processing time, especially for HD):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYIS0d6_vxs&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epYAfZi6_Ic&hd=1

Notice a trend in my videos. I should probably delete these since when I finally snap they'll say that I acted out my final minutes in video games and the media will show these videos.

So I went through a bit of driver hell after installing these last night. I'm currently running a single GTX 680 and everything was fine until I tried to enable Surround on these drivers - epic shitshow begins.

The nvidia control centre application crashed so I tried restarting the my PC. Can't make it back into Windows. A few more attempts and I can't even make it into the bios. Remove the card and run on the integrated GPU. With that I was eventually able to get into Windows to remove these shit drivers. Then when I plugged the GTX 680 back in again I got a motherboard error. Pulled the card out and tried it in another PC and it worked there. I then reset the bios on the motherboard and was able to get back into Windows while using the GTX 680.

Holy shit 3 hours later I'm back running 320.49. Spent most of the rest of the night testing my overclock because I had to do it all over again (I had no idea what freq/voltage I had set).

Not happy with the latest driver.

How could the installation of Windows drivers have impacted the state of the BIOS?

BF4 seems to be running in low resolution even though it is selected 1920x1200, anyone else having this issue?

Using gtx560ti and this latest driver.

It's not a bad thing at all: AMD gives people who really only care about performance/dollar great options. But that's still only a subset of consumers.

These drivers broke my nvidia surround in guild wars 2. Specs in 1st rig in sig. Also...shadowplay doesnt work for me. Rolled back to 327....

Tested new drivers with Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. Drivers worked perfectly. No crashes whatsoever. Gameplay was smooth with only a couple of hitches caused by Task Scheduler. Once Task Scheduler was disabled gameplay was buttery smooth.

I'm very happy with 331.65 driver version. :)

it was the AA post that made BF4 look like crap, turned it off and bam, textures and res came back to life.

Back