F.lux Releases Update to Lull Screen Addicts to Sleep

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you have never tried the color adapting software called F.Lux, you need to check it out. It’s been out a while now and has just been updated to provide even better features to make your time on the computer a more enjoyable visual experience.

Based on the sunlight in their house and sleeping patterns, users can choose what color temperature to keep the monitors throughout the day and night.

Love F.Lux. Everyone that I've introduced it to love it as well. Don't waste your money on Gunnar glasses when F.Lux does the same thing.

They screwed up somewhere though. It starts with the window open when I boot into Windows. A slight annoyance, but not a big deal.

Never heard of this before. Just installed it. Gonna take a bit to get used to the warmer colors at night.

I would if my monitor wasn't calibrated.

Doesnt make a difference? It's software that only affects while you allow it to. Set it to the same color temp as you have now and it will make no difference. Dont like it, uninstall it, and no settings are changed in any way with the monitor.

Flux is awesome, I've been using it for years, and you really dont notice the color change at night after a few days, or if you do, it's because you were looking for it to appreciate it. Some games will disable it on their monitor, which sucks but doesnt, as sometimes you want it off when gaming. Loved this update, much nicer.

This pleasant surprise updated a few days back, it's now perfect in my books.

No more killing flux for colour sensitive tasks.

Should be turning off your monitors when you go to bed to save power and lessens electrical "noise" that interferes with sleep as well.

Use it for a while, at least 10 minutes for your eyes to adjust. Then disable it. You'll see and feel the difference.

Trying this out, so far so good. Toggling it off momentarily really is an assault on the eyes and shows me the harsh blue light I shouldn't be looking at for at least the last hour before bed.

My 27" S-IPS panel is super bright, far more bright than any TN panel I've ever owned and without this software the white is like super white, so F.lux makes a significant difference.

studies also show that not sitting in front of your computer all night improves sleep as well.

Once you get used to f.lux, using any computer at night that doesn't have it (or of f.lux itself hiccups and shuts off) will be mildly painful. Wish I'd known about this in college (when I generally went straight from computer to bed).

No, there isn't an Android app--I use twilight (free) until f.lux solves whatever roadblocks there are in its Android development.

Interesting. I've always used a lower contrast and brightness than I should be, so I wont get eyestrain when I'm up at night. During the day text can be a little fuzzy however. And I hate games that don't let me correct the dim screen with a gamma slider.

interesting app , anyone think it would be better if it gradually changed color temp as sun goes down ?

wow, just installed it and could immediately feel the difference with my eyes. :)

This is not a bad idea, although just to add that its wise to keep decent ambient lighting too.

Never good to have a big bright screen in an otherwise dark room.

...why do you need to restart to access lower color temperatures?

Sounds intriguing. I wonder if there is any compatibility between this and amBX tech.

Oh wow. I always have trouble with having to constantly rub my eyes because of my contacts. My vision will go kinda blurry or out of focus after hours at night.

This app feels REALLY weird the first few minutes, then it is like you just found a cold water fountain in the desert (for your eyes).

Ahh just tried it out, i see what it does...kind of cool...but weirdd

You get use to it. It helps if you do the total light therapy routine with direct exposure to sun for 10-30 minutes when you wake up and a much warmer color range before bed.

I've actually heard numerous benefits from having a proper circadian rhythm. Not having such can really fuck you up.

Heliotherapy is used to treat :

"Common use of the term is associated with the treatment of skin disorders (chiefly psoriasis), sleep disorder and some psychiatric disorders. Light therapy directed at the skin is also used to treat acne vulgaris, eczema and neonatal jaundice. Light therapy which strikes the retina of the eyes is used to treat circadian rhythm disorders such as delayed sleep phase syndrome and can also be used to treat seasonal affective disorder, with some support for its use also with non-seasonal psychiatric disorders."

Anyone reading this should give the program a try. I don't even think a game has made me this happy/excited in awhile. MY EYES DONT HURT! :D :D :D

Back