Microsoft Plans More TV Shows For The Xbox One

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Reuters, Microsoft is planning more TV shows for the Xbox One to go along with its live action Halo series.

Microsoft Corp will follow its Steven Spielberg collaboration with more television projects aimed at positioning its new Xbox games console as a home entertainment hub. Microsoft's Xbox One console, unveiled in May, will be released in tandem with a Spielberg-produced television series based on the Halo game series.

I know Microsoft has done a lot of 180's with the Xbox One, so it's good to see them moving into exclusive territory. I thought Forward Until Dawn was good and not some shitty promo for Halo 4 (which I've enjoyed immensely). Netflix has down this with Hemlock Grove and with Arrested Development, plus at least one other.

Love or hate the XB1 and/or Microsoft, this is a good move, especially given a visible push to integrate TV/cable functionality into the console.

Oh microsoft... How lost you truly are. Nobody is paying $500 for something to watch tv on. Sure it might be a nice feature, but its not part of the decision making process for most people who buy consoles. I can add an apple tv or roku to my ps4 order and have a better solution than theirs for the same or less $.

MS should worry about standing out from the crowd when it comes to exclusive game content not tv shows, etc. I think they are just grasping for anything to try to make up for their consoles deficiencies in the gaming department.

People buy consoles because of exclusive games, now they're going to do it for exclusive tv, too. I think they should be doing exactly the opposite - boycott exclusives.

Oh microsoft... How lost you truly are. Nobody is paying $500 for something to watch tv on. Sure it might be a nice feature, but its not part of the decision making process for most people who buy consoles. I can add an apple tv or roku to my ps4 order and have a better solution than theirs for the same or less $.

MS should worry about standing out from the crowd when it comes to exclusive game content not tv shows, etc. I think they are just grasping for anything to try to make up for their consoles deficiencies in the gaming department.

I think the exclusive content on the entertainment front is more about selling XBox Live subscriptions since people WILL pay a monthly fee for exclusive content ... models like HBO, Netflix, Spotify and others work very well and this might let MS enter into that market successfully ;)

No, but they want to sweeten the pot in addition to the universal options. More exclusives can give a boost to people on the fence.

Also, this helps them standout. Gone are the days where a console is 100% games. As far a a media device, the PS3 trumps the 360, IMO. Sony was more set as a multi-faceted console than the 360 was out of the gate, and at closing still is. Microsoft is trying to move the Xbox One into a similar position and beef it up.

People buy consoles because of exclusive games, now they're going to do it for exclusive tv, too. I think they should be doing exactly the opposite - boycott exclusives.

In a battle with Sony, Microsoft doesn't want that. They want to win, and you can't do that by simply being passive and nice. Having exclusives that are only available with your product are a way of doing that. That's an incentive to have people more enticed by your offering. If you can't perform well enough, you lose, which may involve going out of business. Like MS or not, losing isn't an option and people that think they're not going try and win are idiots.

Master [H];1040207655 said:
No, but they want to sweeten the pot in addition to the universal options. More exclusives can give a boost to people on the fence.

Also, this helps them standout. Gone are the days where a console is 100% games. As far a a media device, the PS3 trumps the 360, IMO. Sony was more set as a multi-faceted console than the 360 was out of the gate, and at closing still is. Microsoft is trying to move the Xbox One into a similar position and beef it up.

That's what my eyes are on - the exclusives. I have both preordered and have to drop one soon. I am buying the best console based on exclusives. I feel that both are extremely strong consoles, and offer a lot. But, when it comes down to it - I'm buying it for the exclusives. I can play the multiplatform on either and have a great gaming experience. Those few games that I can only play on one or the other? That's what I'm looking at. Sadly, Naughty Dog is PS only. So, I can guarantee I'll be buying a PS4 eventually (love their games on PS3/PS2), as they make the console a must-buy due to their games. But, I'm looking at the first year. Adding exclusive TV shows that are cool will help that decision.

It's like adding custom features in a car. They aren't necessary, they are extra things to get you to buy them. Heated seats, rear view camera.... The more you offer, the better it looks to the buyer.

Xbox One exclusives are looking pretty great compared to the PS4. PS4 looks stronger as a console. But, for content? Xbox One is becoming the leader. As I'm going to be using it for content and games, it looks like the best option right now. I don't have cable/satellite so I'm unsure on that part, but the other things look great.

Let's see.. XBONE with a gimmicky "Halo TV show"

Or PS4 with a genuine IPTV offering by end of year........http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324823804579014901418093422.html

Seriously If MS wants to show how serious they are about being the "TV device", come out with a true IPTV offering

Didn't see that news last month. Nice. If it pans out, and it a good price, I might jump on that. Hopefully, they have more news before launch....

Thanks for crashing my Xbox One content party... I was closer to making a decision, but not anymore. :(

WOW.. I can hardly wait for some, if not all, of the following new Microsoft shows to becoming to the XBone..

So You Think You Can Dance Like Steve Ballmer

Ballmer_Dance.gif

The Misadventures of GMail Man - Follow the weekly trials and tribulations of Gmail Man sneaking into people's homes, getting on their computers and reading through people's letters looking for keywords to serve up ads. Hilarity ensues!

gmail_man.jpg

Microsoft Bob - The Animated Series - Find out what Bob is doing stuck in his house along with his dog and friend Clippy. 256 color hilarity ensues!

images_q_tbn_ANd9_Gc_SDnr_Z1_P_RJf_Fj_M9_Ncs_o3osy_Hs1_Ya.jpg

Where's Paul? - The action packed adventure reality show where contestants go around the world trying to find Paul Thurrott's face on feminine products. The fresh odor of Microsoft apologetics ensues!

Thurrott.jpg

Beers! - Mary Jo Foley travels from Boston bar to New York bar (or any bar) finding patrons who will buy her beers while she is spouting out Microsoft enterprise code words and giving out pro tips on using Notepad. Mary Jo won't stop drinking until she sees pink elephants or Microsoft Bob, who has escaped from his house and cured of his bad eyesight, sipping wine. Drunken hilarity ensues! Doesn't it always on the Microsoft channel!

blog_cheers_21.jpg

You know, I just don't care any more...

When someone gets their shit together, and offers ALL content on their service, then I'll be interested.

I'm sick and tired of Netflix for this, Hulu for that, Amazon Prime for everything else. SCREW IT !

I'm sticking with cable. At least it all comes down one damned pipe. And I get Amazon Prime free streaming for those times I may want to see something older.

Microsoft lost my money with their day-one reveal. Now they are just cementing my opinion to NEVER BUY AN XBOX ONE. If I wanted to watch TV I'll buy a set top box or purchase an AT&T U-Verse sub. F*** Microsoft.

Back