Microsoft Pulls Anti-iPhone Ads

Obvious impersonation of a gravely ill/thin Steve Jobs, keep it classy Microsoft. Wow.

I really don't dig bash ads. It's fine if Conan or someone does it for comedy, but it's not classy at all when the competition does it. I also hated those "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" adverts. I ain't got time for passive agressive pissing matches.

B51pddw.jpg

You really think that MS made this lol really....
They were posted to the Windows Phone YouTube page and reference their #timetoswitch hashtag. That's not absolute proof they were produced by Microsoft, but there's no evidence to suggest at this time that they weren't. Microsoft's yet to comment on the matter.

You should note, also, that Microsoft hires ex-political campaign strategists for their marketing efforts. This pathetic approach is absolutely 100% up their alley.

I wouldn't have even thought steve jobs or him being sick, and there are two different people the pitch is going to.

I don't get it, wasn't particularly insulting and wasn't particularly funny. Much ado about nothing.

Well I am noticing a rash of pretty armature looking advertisements that are supposedly banned, or pulled. And in most cases where this pops up I tend to find out later it wasn't even the company, remember the sprite blow job ad? Look at the iphone 5C ad posted today. Give me a break even if this stuff was mad by someone hired by them it didn't pass for a reason.

I didn't think the ad was funny or offensive. It was just another stupid commercial to fit in with all the other mostly stupid/non funny commercials out there.

If all you can do is talk about how bad the other guy's product is, it isn't much of an ad. All it says to me is "Hey, we can't sell our product on its own merits, so we'll make fun of the competition instead."

I wouldn't have even thought steve jobs or him being sick, and there are two different people the pitch is going to.

I immedeately thought Steve Jobs when the commercial started. Same hairline, black shirt, and even sunken skin indicating sickly.

The second guy is supposed to be Jonathan Ive.

Regardless, even ignoring the Steve Jobs reference, the commerical isn't funny.

If all you can do is talk about how bad the other guy's product is, it isn't much of an ad. All it says to me is "Hey, we can't sell our product on its own merits, so we'll make fun of the competition instead."

Worked for apple.

They were just really crappy.

They should hire the Conan Team.

Gold is Best!

Best, Best, Best.

So you believe the likeness was complete and total coincidence?

I don't look for reasons to get bothered by stuff like this. What difference does it make if it was supposed to be Jobs? that's what he looked like in recent memory, what are they supposed to replicate, 1980s Jobs?

I really don't dig bash ads. It's fine if Conan or someone does it for comedy, but it's not classy at all when the competition does it. I also hated those "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" adverts. I ain't got time for passive agressive pissing matches.

Yeah that's my view on it too, the entire time I was thinking "This makes a perfect 'College Humor' site spoof" but an actual commercial? No.

I'm actually okay with the commercial, but to each one's own opinion I guess, quite frankly I didn't notice the resemblance to the late Job's (RIP), only when people started mentioning it here :D

I am sure Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley will spin this somehow to say this were the most moist and chewy like cake commercial since Gates wiggled his butt at Seinfeld.

img

This wasn't in any way offensive, it was just really bad.

It was neither funny nor particularly scathing.

Microsoft issued the following statement to TNW: “The video was intended to be a light-hearted poke at our friends from Cupertino. But it was off the mark, and we’ve decided to pull it down.”

Obvious impersonation of a gravely ill/thin Steve Jobs, keep it classy Microsoft. Wow.

I thought the same thing. That's pretty fucked up.

I personally saw him as an asshole however, respect the dead man. Respect his family.

Loved the Windows phone commercials where the Samsung and iPhone users were in a flat out rumble over who had the better phone and the Windows peeps were standing back taking pictures of it all.
Didn't think this one was all that funny though, looked very armature.

I thought the same thing. That's pretty fucked up. I personally saw him as an asshole however, respect the dead man. Respect his family.

Haha of course. Because once you die, you automatically stop being an asshole and deserve all the respect you never got when you were a living asshole. LMAO.

This isn't like the MAC v PC commercials. Those were often filled with misinformation, but were occasionally (especially in the early days) funny.

This just makes fun of the 5c being a cheaper version of the 5 (plus a couple of features) with a cheaper body that sells for exactly what the 5 would sell for if it wasn't being pulled from the market. The main problem is even though it's dead on, it's not very funny. A lesser problem is that it does look like Jobs.

Bottom line is this is a really hohum release from apple (5s and 5c). Worse still, aside from LTE support and an extra row of buttons, the 5 wasn't very inspiring either.

Good commercial that hits run on the button. (Apple fans just hating I guess. :D) That said, I do not have tv service and only watch OTA NFL Football so I probably would not have seen this anyways. I even thought the old Mac commercials were funny even though they were filled with total misinformation.

I don't look for reasons to get bothered by stuff like this. What difference does it make if it was supposed to be Jobs? that's what he looked like in recent memory, what are they supposed to replicate, 1980s Jobs?

Wow. I despised Jobs and Apple crap but I can't believe people are this dense that what might be perceived as making light and parody of a guy that died of cancer - even if that wasn't the intention - is playing with fire. They don't *need* to replicate anything. Instead they should grow an imagination. Maybe hire an agency with some actual talent and ideas rather than fucking amateur hour doing bad youtube skits.

This really shouldn't require brain surgery to understand.

He already did. Called it "Brilliant New Windows Phone Video".. But I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 24hrs he gets instructions from Metrosoft to ditch the article.

So he liked this video. But anyone accusing Thurrott of being a Microsoft shill is just making it up. He's been highly critical of Microsoft over the years. He's body slammed them over Windows RT and Surface RT. He first broke the story of Microsoft saying internally that they were disappointed in Windows 8 sales earlier this year. He's made has a very long and detailed list of harsh Microsoft criticisms in his career. He's just not a blind hater.

Haha of course. Because once you die, you automatically stop being an asshole and deserve all the respect you never got when you were a living asshole. LMAO.

You respect the dead for the sake of their family and those who cared about them more than for the sake of the dead themselves. Unless the person is genuinely a massive fucking douchebag, it's typically good to have respect for your fellow humans anyway, alive or dead, to avoid being a douchebag yourself..

Where is everyone getting that they are making fun of or Slamming Steve Jobs. Where in the video do they make it as if the dude with his back toward the camera is jobs in the video?
It's Tim Cook for crying out loud! Tim is a skinny scare crow of a man... sheesh re watch the video and some where around / between the minute mark and 1:11 mark they Even say T as in Tim . Hell even the video starts stating the time frame as 2013 and not sometime in 2011. There are other clues that they are jabbing at Tim Cook too.
The video is a lame cheaply made one trying to ride off the wave of recent IPhone parodies.

Unless the person is genuinely a massive fucking douchebag, it's typically good to have respect for your fellow humans anyway, alive or dead, to avoid being a douchebag yourself..

Good thing Steve Jobs was the arch-douchebag.

Where is everyone getting that they are making fun of or Slamming Steve Jobs. Where in the video do they make it as if the dude with his back toward the camera is jobs in the video?
It's Tim Cook for crying out loud! Tim is a skinny scare crow of a man... sheesh re watch the video and some where around / between the minute mark and 1:11 mark they Even say T as in Tim . Hell even the video starts stating the time frame as 2013 and not sometime in 2011. There are other clues that they are jabbing at Tim Cook too.
The video is a lame cheaply made one trying to ride off the wave of recent IPhone parodies.

Yes dear. The guy in the video totally had Tim Cook grey hair.

The new phones are available in COLORS!*

*colors are now patented property of Apple Inc. Apple invented colors and any phone manufacturers using colors will be hearing from Apple's legal team.

Back