NASA Testing 3D-Printed Rocket Parts

After following that link... I will never go to Space.com again. Nothing like having EVERYTHING you are trying to do overridden by "sponsor ads". Then by the time the "sponsor add" is over it shows me about 3 seconds of video, then cuts to the next video :/
That section of the site is about useless.

I'm *hoping* the 3d printing is just for quick prototyping to see what would work, give better results, etc on the ground, and they'll do a proper build once they decide on what is the best.

I am all for it. We need to embrace 3d printing. The best way to advance technology is to challenge it.

I'm *hoping* the 3d printing is just for quick prototyping to see what would work, give better results, etc on the ground, and they'll do a proper build once they decide on what is the best.

Apparently this printed part they made was smaller, lighter, cheaper, and less complex than the previous non-printed part they were using and it worked flawlessly in all of their tests.

I'm *hoping* they use the printed part.

Heh, selective laser melting. Hardly the 3D printing most people think of, such as the MakerBot...

Heh, selective laser melting. Hardly the 3D printing most people think of, such as the MakerBot...

My grandfather used to 3d print boats through selective wood shaving. The man was ahead of his time!

SLS tech has been around since the 80's, you can make some pretty complex shapes utilizing it which is probably why they're using it to make rocket engine parts.

SLS tech has been around since the 80's, you can make some pretty complex shapes utilizing it which is probably why they're using it to make rocket engine parts.
What *I'm* excited about is the expiration of a bunch of SLS patents next year. Sure, your plastic filament 3d printers seem cool now but just wait until you can print parts out of *titanium* and at much higher resolution!

I can only imagine what this will mean for case modding. :eek:

What *I'm* excited about is the expiration of a bunch of SLS patents next year. Sure, your plastic filament 3d printers seem cool now but just wait until you can print parts out of *titanium* and at much higher resolution!

I can only imagine what this will mean for case modding. :eek:

What kinds of costs are associated with mid range SLS manufacturing?

If you have to ask, you don't have enough money. That's not really true there are someplaces that can do it for you for an average sum. Still a whole lot more expensive than just shapeways.

I'm no expert, but it's definitely a whole lot more expensive than filament printing--it uses very fine metal powder, and IIRC requires either a vacuum or a blanket of inert gas during the process.

They have been using rapid prototype (3D Printing/SLA) components in the aerospace industry for decades.

However, as far as flight hardware, that I don't know. I've just worked on SLA tooling and mockup parts.

Printing something like that is quite expensive. I did a lot of homework on this for a printing platform.

Depending on the work area for printing and the laser wattage (speed of printing), it will cost from around $200k up to $750k (50W laser up to 500W dual beam). These systems chew through power at an obscene rate, ~7-12 kW, some systems demand 3 phase power capable of 38 kW!

For raw materials, you can expect around $990/kg for aerospace titanium alloys (Ti6Al4V).

Also, don't forget that it's also possible to print in ceramics (alumina or titania) or even cermet (ceramic/metal composite).

Back