Using Google Glass To Live-Stream Surgery

HardOCP News

[H] News
While using Google Glass to live-stream a surgery is cool and all, I think we can all agree that this technology would be far better suited for breast exams instead of knee surgery. What?!?! Don't lie, you were thinking the same thing. :D

The procedure was livestreamed to a group of medical students, who watched on laptops, and to Dr. Robert Magnussen, an assistant professor of clinical orthopedics at Ohio State, who watched from his office. During the operation, Kaeding consulted with Magnussen about what he was seeing during the surgery.

In the world of tomorrow all surgeries will be done by machines.

We'll only really need Google Glass to watch our buddies get sliced up from the comfort of our lazy boys.

That is a good point... or better yet just just swallow a pill of robots and let them rebuild you from the inside.

I cant wait for the adverts to appear... "Need a new kidney? Buy here"

That's a lot cheaper than the current way we stream surgeries now.

Yes, but seeing a surgical field using a 5 MP webcam can't be great quality. And surgeons need to see the endoscopy video too. Pointing Google Glass at an OR monitor isn't a good solution either.

I think we can all agree that this technology would be far better suited for breast exams

Snicker, snicker, hee, hee... he said breasts....

Seriously?

Apparently we're all pubescent boys here.

When will this website grow up and realize that people other than males, ages 13-25 read their news?

Yes, but seeing a surgical field using a 5 MP webcam can't be great quality. And surgeons need to see the endoscopy video too. Pointing Google Glass at an OR monitor isn't a good solution either.
Not all budgets allow for a specialized film crew, their equipment, a moderator, directors, webhosting, and a satellite truck. A 5 MP webcam is better than nothing when budgets don't allow a big production like LiveOR.

Back