Microsoft's Next CEO: Handicap the Early Candidates

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Replacing the CEO of Microsoft isn’t going to be an easy task by any means . The candidate list will grow long and tiresome before the process is completed, but there are a few early on favorites that might take the inside track.

“I don’t think Microsoft will fill the CEO spot from within,” said Patrick Moorhead of Moor Insights and Strategy. “They need to show that they are thinking differently, and to fulfill those optics, they will go outside. If not, it could be portrayed as the ‘same old – same old’.”

Gabe Newell would basically be a game changer, all kinds of shit would hit the fan both good and bad.

Gabe Newell would basically be a game changer, all kinds of shit would hit the fan both good and bad.

I adore Steam as much as the next guy but one thing I wouldn't call Valve is exactly progressive with releasing new titles. When was the last one, L4D2 five years ago?

That said he certainly couldn't do any worse than the used car salesman from Nevada has been doing lately.

It's funny that people think there's a chance it won't be one of Steve's cronies.

Stephen Elop.

He is already running Microsoft's Finnish Mobile unit.

I hope for an outsider. The people that currently work there have been drinking the Metro Kool Aid. We might get native desktop choice back with an outsider.

I don't want metro gone, I just want native options to go back to a Win7 style desktop, and disable Metro, Metro store, and Metro apps entirely

Heh, why not just hire Steve Wozniak? He never would have allowed Win-8 or a poorly conceived and executed tablet substitute:)

Jesus m$%&*&$ Christ, I'm so sick of seeing people whine about Windows 8. Its gotten ridiculously old.

I use 8.1 preview every single day and actually prefer it over 7 for many reasons. Ya there are issues with it but none relating to the metro start interface IMO.

Ask for choice. Get called a whiner.
Throw hissy fit about whiners. Pretend you are the enlightened one.

What do MS fanboys do?

Wait, isn't this Jeopardy?... oops, my bad, wrong set! :p

Personally i strongly doubt that they would look outside their corporation, and wouldn't be surprised at all if they would go with Julie Larson-Green. Sure, her latest projects have failed hard, but it would help them give them "all about change!" image that they seem to need.
After saying that, i would like to be on the record stating that i don't like her tho.

Ask for choice. Get called a whiner.

Wanting a switch for the old UI is perfectly reasonable, that in and of itself isn't whining at all. Saying that Windows 8/8.1 however is merely a tablet OS not capable of being used for productive tasks like Windows 7 is overboard however. Yes, there will be debate about the how well the UI works with mice and keyboards and even most Windows 8 proponents have acknowledged keyboard and mouse usability issues and addressing them was a big part of Windows 8. There’s no reason why a person comfortable with Windows 8 can’t use desktop productivity applications with a keyboard and mouse just as easily and efficiently overall as a person comfortable with Windows 7.

Wanting a switch for the old UI is perfectly reasonable, that in and of itself isn't whining at all. Saying that Windows 8/8.1 however is merely a tablet OS not capable of being used for productive tasks like Windows 7 is overboard however. Yes, there will be debate about the how well the UI works with mice and keyboards and even most Windows 8 proponents have acknowledged keyboard and mouse usability issues and addressing them was a big part of Windows 8. There’s no reason why a person comfortable with Windows 8 can’t use desktop productivity applications with a keyboard and mouse just as easily and efficiently overall as a person comfortable with Windows 7.

It is a perfectly competent OS, touch screen or no. I never said otherwise. Do I believe the Metro UI, while still useable, is poorly suited to non touch desktop use? Yes.
Am I hoping for an outsider that has not been infected with what appears to be the "Metro is right for everyone, and anyone that disagrees is holding it wrong" mentality currently prevalent at MS? Certainly.

It is a perfectly competent OS, touch screen or no. I never said otherwise. Do I believe the Metro UI, while still useable, is poorly suited to non touch desktop use? Yes.
Am I hoping for an outsider that has not been infected with what appears to be the "Metro is right for everyone, and anyone that disagrees is holding it wrong" mentality currently prevalent at MS? Certainly.

I see no reason why the Modern UI can't evolve to become better from traditional desktop and keyboard and mouse users. 8.1 made good progress in that area, more needs to be done. The next CEO will need to look at it the whole situation around Windows 8 UI situation and see if he and the board and come up with a some better tactics. The Modern UI needs to be improved and it making progress, I think just throwing in a switch for the old UI doesn't address any long term issues. Unless there's some strong evidence that a switch for the old UI will significantly rebound the PC business then I don't think it's a good long term strategy.

I adore Steam as much as the next guy but one thing I wouldn't call Valve is exactly progressive with releasing new titles. When was the last one, L4D2 five years ago?

That said he certainly couldn't do any worse than the used car salesman from Nevada has been doing lately.
I don't believe OSes really need the freight train of development that commercial OSes tend to get. A new Windows every five to seven years or so would be a totally reasonable thing.

Valve is known for their constant iteration over lengthy product cycles and incremental value improvements. That's actually a perfectly reasonable approach for most kinds of software.

Jesus m$%&*&$ Christ, I'm so sick of seeing people whine about Windows 8. Its gotten ridiculously old.

I use 8.1 preview every single day and actually prefer it over 7 for many reasons. Ya there are issues with it but none relating to the metro start interface IMO.
What exactly u prefer at windows 8 over windows 7?

What exactly u prefer at windows 8 over windows 7?

The multi-monitor support for the task bar is the thing I like most on the desktop. And just having true touch enabled apps for a tablets make is a no brainer over 7. The Start Screen has some advantages over the Start Menu, again multi-monitor support being the main advantage over 7. 8.1 does fix the main issues with multiple monitors and Modern apps as well. The new mail client works well enough for me for my personal email needs even on the desktop especially now that apps can be resized horizontally.

For it's flaws 8 is shaping up to be very powerful and flexible, even if some of that flexibility that people are looking for comes in the form of 3rd party tools.

Where do I send my resume? If they want a real outside opinion, I'm the perfect man for the job. But.... I'll need dental, medical, a personal jet, an underground batcave beneath the mansion they will build me, a garage filled with exotic cars, a giant bubblegum machine, and Sophia Vergara as my personal assistant. I think my expectations are pretty realistic considering my years of video gaming experience and ability to make a mean protein smoothie.

Heh, why not just hire Steve Wozniak? He never would have allowed Win-8 or a poorly conceived and executed tablet substitute:)

I think Wos is just happy watching what is happening in the tech world, and making weird adverts for the local Toyota Dealer.

Back