Windows 8 Banned by Benchmarking and Overclocking Site

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
HWBot is one of the world’s top sites for all things overclocking and benchmarking. For them to disqualify Windows 8 from any benchmarks, past, present or future, is a pretty big deal. Thanks goes to forum member octoberasian for the heads up. :cool:

Users submit their benchmarks, moderators check their results, and then people are awarded points or trophies depending on how they rank

I must have not been paying attention. I've never heard of the site....

It looks like it only affects those that overclock within Windows using a software tool rather than through the BIOS.... Not sure, really.

Well, I see tons of time has been reset entries in my system log, I bet that's why. IE:

The time service is now synchronizing the system time with the time source time.windows.com,0x9 (ntp.m|0x9|0.0.0.0:123->64.4.10.33:123).

So does this mean that SpeedStep and Cool&Quiet makes all hell break loose?

SUck it win8 !!

Only if you are doing benchmarking or things like that. If you are just gaming, it doesn't look like it makes one lick of difference. Dual boot if you are looking for strict numbers. Definitely something to keep in mind, though, if you are benchmarking a rig or comparing or reviewing a system.

Not really that big a deal.

Of all the people running Windows, very few overclock. Of all the people who overclock, very few are changing their overclock in software all the time. Of all the people who are changing their overclock in software, only those trying to get accurate benchmarks for bragging are effected.

In the end, you're left with only the LN2 guys.

There are windows 8 users that overclock? You'd think someone who knows how to OC would know better.

Seems like a strange bug that would give a slight increase in performance to Windows 8, without actually increasing performance. Would certainly tip Windows 7 vs Windows 8 benchmarks in favor of Win8.

Though most people wouldn't notice that they're clock is running slower then it should. As long as Windows 8 gets accurate time online, which it does, then nobody would notice. Under clocking a system would give extra time, which seems to increase fps.

Sorry bud, but Windows 8 behaves better with my surround setup. Specifically 8.1

8.1 on independent multiple monitors works well. I've not tested 8.1 on my surround setup. The new drivers have hotkeys to switch between surround and other modes. Is there a way to switch between surround and multiple independent monitors with the hotkeys? Thanks for any info you have in advance.

if win8's desktop functioned like win7 out of the box (control panel, start menu etc) it would of been a huge success. it is a pain in the arse to use and is not efficient/saving steps. i now have to click 2-3x more screens to do the same functions. To remote troubleshoot with users you now have to learn two system screens (the traditional desktop control panel and the metro interface).

I wonder if a patch can be released to fix the issue. Or even redid in windows 8.1.

@ cyclone3d, People hate things because other people hate them. They have to fit in somewhere down the line. I myself have no issues with Windows 8 I use on anything though.

I wonder if a patch can be released to fix the issue. Or even redid in windows 8.1.

@ cyclone3d, People hate things because other people hate them. They have to fit in somewhere down the line. I myself have no issues with Windows 8 I use on anything though.

Windows 8 works fine. Have you even tried it or are you a hater with no personal experience?
No, it does not "work fine" for most people.

Personally attacking people as ignorant, haters, or "sheep" is disgusting but typical.

There was a similar bug in Windows 7 that occurred when you underclocked while using the Heaven benchmark. That was fixed with a patch. While this can affect any benchmark it probably is also fixable via a patch.

if win8's desktop functioned like win7 out of the box (control panel, start menu etc) it would of been a huge success. it is a pain in the arse to use and is not efficient/saving steps. i now have to click 2-3x more screens to do the same functions. To remote troubleshoot with users you now have to learn two system screens (the traditional desktop control panel and the metro interface).

It does for me...because startisback was the first thing installed when I got the Windows 8 box.

You mean the people that are crying about the start button missing? Most people was like that when they went from a old os to a new one. People don't like to get out their comfort zone it seems in a os. They tend to stay in one pattern that works for them. If it requires to do something different to get the same effect they will go the other way.

If you like it you like and if not then you simply don't. But no need to go bash every windows 8 thread you see.

Personally attacking people as ignorant, haters, or "sheep" is disgusting but typical.

Windows 7 is just as bad at time keeping, I have to sync the time every now and then because it drifts way off for some reason or another.

Battery on mobo is good, time in bios is good, pc always connected to the net so it can sync whenever it wants yet it still fuks up.

I dunno, but I gave up worrying about it ages ago.

Windows 8 works fine for me as well. I've used every version of Windows since Windows 95 and I'm fine with just about any of them, except Windows ME, cause we all know that one was pretty terrible. Windows 8 takes some getting used to, but it's definitely not as bad as some people make it out to be. Some folks just hate change I guess.

It's pretty far from a pain in the ass to use.

It's okay that you can't be bothered to learn how to do things you are unfamiliar with, lots of folks are like that, but from a clickability standpoint, win 8 is pretty much exactly like windows 7. Matter of fact, some of the stuff takes less clicks. control panel is 2 clicks on windows 8,I havent used control panel on a 7 machine in a while, but it sure seems like it was 2 clicks in my head.

You mean the people that are crying about the start button missing? Most people was like that when they went from a old os to a new one. People don't like to get out their comfort zone it seems in a os. They tend to stay in one pattern that works for them. If it requires to do something different to get the same effect they will go the other way.

If you like it you like and if not then you simply don't. But no need to go bash every windows 8 thread you see.

I won't bash W8 if you'll quite using that pathetic excuse that "people hate change". I've got a better idea. Maybe people know bullshyt when they see it? Microsoft did not give desktop or laptop users the O-P-T-I-O-N to select the interface that best suits their wants or needs. But then again, what can you expect from an operating system that is virtually given away. W8 will fail just like Vista and Me. Why? Because maybe...just maybe people know bullshyt when they see it?

And what gives you the right to say that it does not work fine for "most people," especially since most implies majority? Oh that's right, absolutely nothing.

Microsoft did not give desktop or laptop users the O-P-T-I-O-N to select the interface that best suits their wants or needs.

They did give plenty of options, they're called "other apps". Once you wipe the tears from your eyes, you'll see all the start8, etc threads and links appear that modify your OS the way you like it.

win8 works fine. I am using it on all my pcs for months. If you have it and you hate it then either "downgrade" or try the metro haters guide. soon we'll be able to boot straight to the desktop. that solves all of my problems with it.

FFS, nobody cares if you like your Win 8. The article is about a specific objective problem and isn't about your UI preference.

"Unfortunately, though, Windows 8′s RTC isn’t reliable. According to HWBot, Microsoft made some changes to Windows 8′s timekeeping routines to allow for low-cost devices and embedded systems that don’t always have a conventional PC-compatible RTC."

Thank you Win 8 and MS for one OS to rule them all philosophy.

Windows 7 is just as bad at time keeping, I have to sync the time every now and then because it drifts way off for some reason or another.

Battery on mobo is good, time in bios is good, pc always connected to the net so it can sync whenever it wants yet it still fuks up.

I dunno, but I gave up worrying about it ages ago.

I have had windows 7 and 8 machines since release on both, none have every gone off time, stays exactly the same as my phone which syncs with the cell towers. Maybe you have a virus or something.

And what gives you the right to say that it does not work fine for "most people," especially since most implies majority? Oh that's right, absolutely nothing.
The widespread dislike of it and poor Win 8 sales. It's pretty obvious the majority of desktop customers don't like it.

If someone says "Win 8 sucks" and your response is "you suck", you're not only fallacious but insulting and rude and have no place in a discussion about UI functionality.

See here is a prime example of a crying person if I ever see one. See the response to your talking about my "people hate change". Isn't what you are crying about a change? Amazing what happens in here sometimes.

I won't bash W8 if you'll quite using that pathetic excuse that "people hate change". I've got a better idea. Maybe people know bullshyt when they see it? Microsoft did not give desktop or laptop users the O-P-T-I-O-N to select the interface that best suits their wants or needs. But then again, what can you expect from an operating system that is virtually given away. W8 will fail just like Vista and Me. Why? Because maybe...just maybe people know bullshyt when they see it?

Win8 works fine for me.

You may continue with your regularly-scheduled generalizations and hyperbole now.

Microsoft did not give desktop or laptop users the O-P-T-I-O-N to select the interface that best suits their wants or needs.
You mean, like, a button you can either click, or, optionally, not click??

HOLY CRAP THAT WAS HARD!!!!

Back