AT&T Ranks Highest Among Carriers for Customer Support

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
AT&T Has taken top spot among wireless carriers in customer support according to a J.D. Power study of over 10K wireless subscribers. The survey was taken over a six month period and rated AT&T 795 out of a possible 1000.

J.D. Power's report measured customer care across different channels, including online, walk-in, phone support with a tech rep, and automated response systems. Conducted from January through June, the survey reached 7,373 contract customers and 3,235 non-contract customers

Lol right. I see no billing department. They still suck at getting that right the first time. ;)

Getting a 79%....isn't that also called a "C+"?, i.e. something not to brag to your parents about?

I hardly call that a good sign. A grade of 79 is what, a low C that won't even get a kid into college...

if the are the highest rated out there that means every one else is well worse than shit?

so sad :(

HAHAAHAHAHAQHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!'

Damn there is beer all over my keyboard.

Signed,

A >$200,000 AT&T customer.

AT&T is the worst of the 10 data providers I've used.

Oddly I still use them for certain things.

Lol right. I see no billing department. They still suck at getting that right the first time. ;)

That's because there is no billing department, there is only a billing computer system that doesn't do what you tell it to do - just like every corporate database I have ever had the misfortune to use.

Ive had few problems with ATT, their stores arent exactly the bastion of knowledge you'd hope they were but then again no ones store is.

My experience with AT&T was horrible. Like someone else said above...high ranking shit is still SHIT.

only have had bad experiences with them. billing especially!
couldnt wait to leave them behind!

I use Sprint.
Customer service in nearly non-existent, and if you're lucky enough to finally get a person, you get lies, lies, lies, and refusal of refunds for outages (like "Because we're upgrading the towers in your area to 4g and to handle higher capacity right now" as reasons to refuse refunds for service being down, yet when "upgrades" are done your signal gets worse and still no 4g).
T-Mobile has fantastic service and coverage in my area, when the contract is up, Sprint is gone!

And far as AT&T goes, I had them for 6 months as an ISP for DSL.
Terrible, terrible, terrible.
They sent out techs every 3rd day for 2 straight months before they figured out that the wireless modem I purchased from them was junk (while getting told any more techs coming out and I'd start getting billed for), replaced that 6 times before I got a "good" one. At least I got quite a bit of credit on my bill after raising hell repetitively, but the internet was down 4 out of 5 days at a time for the first 3 months, then after I got the new modem it was only down 1 out of 3 days because the lines out here in the countryside suck and they refuse to upgrade or repair them.
That being said, I still prefer dealing with AT&T customer service over Time Warner or Sprint, even though I'm with TW right now because I get far fewer outages, like one every month.

Scores like this are always iffy.

I remember when I used to do support for an ISP. The call center I worked at had people with an IT background, while the other largely used anyone they could find. The other call center always got a higher satisfaction score but my center had the best completion. Why? Because they would tell the customer anything to get them off of the phone so the people kept calling until they finally get to us and get the issue resolved. Obviously if you've called 2-3 times to get a solution you are still going to rate the call low even if it's finally is fixed.

Well, on the consumer end i have had no problems with AT&T costumer service, but on the business end, they suck.
Using the consumer site is easy and quick, the premier business site is a complete joke. Just trying to do the simple task of upgrading a line or ordering a phone can be a total pain in the ass, and dont even bother trying to activate a product using the premier website, i waited 30 minutes for email confirmation... nothing! called direct to the automated system, activated the new phone, turned the phone on and it was ready to go, the premier email activation finally hit my inbox about 4 hours later. The premier tech support line is a roll of the dice. If you call early in the morning you can actually get someone who lives in the US, speaks english and actually knows what the hell they are doing, but if you call after 10:00 am est, you are SOL

I use Sprint.
Customer service in nearly non-existent, and if you're lucky enough to finally get a person, you get lies, lies, lies, and refusal of refunds for outages (like "Because we're upgrading the towers in your area to 4g and to handle higher capacity right now" as reasons to refuse refunds for service being down, yet when "upgrades" are done your signal gets worse and still no 4g).
T-Mobile has fantastic service and coverage in my area, when the contract is up, Sprint is gone!

That's what I did...dumped sprint and went no contract T-Mobile. 4G (cap at 5GB) unlimited data for an even $30 a month. To get unlimited calling, I use Skype for voice calls and google voice to redirect my old cell number to the Skype number. It works very well, I usually get a good 3-9Mb/s data rate most places, everywhere else I just use wifi.

And far as AT&T goes, I had them for 6 months as an ISP for DSL.
Terrible, terrible, terrible.
They sent out techs every 3rd day for 2 straight months before they figured out that the wireless modem I purchased from them was junk (while getting told any more techs coming out and I'd start getting billed for), replaced that 6 times before I got a "good" one. At least I got quite a bit of credit on my bill after raising hell repetitively, but the internet was down 4 out of 5 days at a time for the first 3 months, then after I got the new modem it was only down 1 out of 3 days because the lines out here in the countryside suck and they refuse to upgrade or repair them.
That being said, I still prefer dealing with AT&T customer service over Time Warner or Sprint, even though I'm with TW right now because I get far fewer outages, like one every month.

Not my experience with AT&T DSL. It was the only thing that actually worked at my house, cable went out every time I needed to use it for internet. In 11 years, I had to have the tech come out one time, due to a ground in the wire at their distribution node. Never lost the signal and the same 11 year old modem still works fine.

Of course, I did switch to U-Verse, mostly to completely drop cable but I've not had a problem with that either.

A low C? Is this on the 110% grading scale or something?

One my my school's grading scales was:

100 = A+
99-96 = A
95 = A-
94 = B+
93-89 = B
88 = B-
87 = C+
86-79 - C
78 - C-
77 - 70 - D
69 - D-
68 < = F

So yes, that's a low C. You're probably one of those that had a 10 point scale. Point - not everyone grades the same.

One my my school's grading scales was:

100 = A+
99-96 = A
95 = A-
94 = B+
93-89 = B
88 = B-
87 = C+
86-79 - C
78 - C-
77 - 70 - D
69 - D-
68 < = F

So yes, that's a low C. You're probably one of those that had a 10 point scale. Point - not everyone grades the same.

What wonderful school uses this system that you attended?

Not my experience with AT&T DSL. It was the only thing that actually worked at my house, cable went out every time I needed to use it for internet.
Similar here. AT&T DSL always worked. I never saw it off, not even for a minute. My cable is apparently above average, and it can go long periods always working, but then, like lately, it's like they do some upgrading or something on their end multiple days at midnight or 2 a.m. with no notice, and it can be down for hours. Overall it's good.
That's because there is no billing department, there is only a billing computer system that doesn't do what you tell it to do - just like every corporate database I have ever had the misfortune to use.
I've had AT&T customer service tell me right on the phone how terrible their computer system is while they're trying to do something on my account. I think one even started swearing at it when the screen froze.

The customer service people get the blame when billing is wrong or when a billing fix didn't go through multiple times, but I do think their computers are more at fault than they are. ...which means whoever is in charge of the computer system is at fault.

I've always had excellent contact with the AT&T employees themselves. Always friendly and willing to take a surprising amount of time to help without rushing, and any landline problems were fixed within 24 hours, maybe once took 48 hours. Never had AT&T for cellphone, but their billing department can't be any worse than the bullshit Verizon tried to do to me.

I read a lot of AT&T CS stories that say how rude the AT&T employees are. Maybe those people are calling different call centers than the ones I get. Even if the caller is rude and that rudeness begets rudeness from the AT&T person, I guess that's still not an excuse for the AT&T person. Anyway, they've always been friendly to me and got things done.

I've had AT&T customer service tell me right on the phone how terrible their computer system is while they're trying to do something on my account. I think one even started swearing at it when the screen froze.

The customer service people get the blame when billing is wrong or when a billing fix didn't go through multiple times, but I do think their computers are more at fault than they are. ...which means whoever is in charge of the computer system is at fault.

As someone who has worked tech support for a major ISP, its a joke. They're there to make money first, so giving their employees working equipment doesn't happen unless its forced on them.
Companies use computers with "system minimal" specs for the OS, so they run slow as hell to begin with. Often enough, you try to run the additional 6-7 pieces of software needed to do your job and your system slows to a crawl. So in order for techs to do their jobs, they keep one or two key systems open and have to wait for each other piece of software to open on a slow and overtaxed system.
All that data you just entered into the automated system? 90% of the time the techs don't get it and have to ask you for it again.
Then your techs are given time limits they're allowed to have you on the phone, usually somewhere between 5-7 minutes, then if you go over that time a supervisor shows up behind the tech that is trying to help you and starts badgering for said tech to transfer you or do anything possible to get you off the phone.
Employees with low call times are rewarded with bonuses and raises while employees that actually fix problems are refused raises and given points towards them getting fired because their call times are too long.
Then there's Quality Control, which in no way shape or form ensures quality. All QC does is make sure employees say the same opening and closing each time, offers no additional support over the level the customer pays for and tries to sell certain services. If those points aren't made every call, techs are written up and fired no matter how many people they've helped.
Its a completely fucked up system that hurts both employees and the customers, but that's the way it works.

Ive only used ATT for uverse. They went above and beyond installing my service as a new customer. That being said, thats my only intercation I have had with them. But i was supremely impressed vs comcast.

Yeah AT&T does intrusive testing on our circuits without notifications, then denies it until you force it out of them. All with no apologies. Unfortunately their network is massive and most of the other providers blow even more.

Why is everyone complaining?

Just about any service you go to is crappy to many people and good to a few.

Back