AMD Extends Embedded SoC Leadership

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced a new low-power Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) in the award-winning AMD G-Series SOC family with the GX-210JA, further reducing x86 power requirements for embedded designs. The new GX-210JA APU, a full System-on-Chip (SoC) design, uses one-third less energy than the previous low-power Embedded G-Series SOC product while providing industry-leading graphics capabilities. At only 6 watts maximum thermal design power (TDP), and approximately 3 watts expected average power, this new member of the G-Series SOC family will enable additional fanless designs for a variety of applications ranging from industrial controls and automation, digital gaming, communications infrastructure and visual embedded products including thin client, digital signage and medical imaging.

And the AMD-enhanced windows 8 tables are coming when again?

Ask OEMs that question. They're the ones deciding if x86 tablets are worth the investment cost. Taking a guess just based on lame sales of Microsoft, Lenovo, and Dell's tablets I'm gonna say there's no enough profit potential.

Ask OEMs that question. They're the ones deciding if x86 tablets are worth the investment cost. Taking a guess just based on lame sales of Microsoft, Lenovo, and Dell's tablets I'm gonna say there's no enough profit potential.

I am thinking the same thing.. I hope AMD accelerates their Arm-based APUs as I understand they have some of that on the line.

I am thinking the same thing.. I hope AMD accelerates their Arm-based APUs as I understand they have some of that on the line.

If the news post from a couple months ago where AMD was/is considering an ARM-based APU, it was supposedly fall under the G-series branding.

G-series X would be the x86 SoC APU.
G-series A would be the ARM SoC APU.

It wasn't a really big confirmation from AMD. All it was this single phrase:
"Ultimately, we're going to have x86 and ARM in our product portfolio." - AMD's Arun Iyengar

The words 'AMD' and 'Leadership' shouldn't really be in the same sentence. Unless it's something like "AMD holds its leadership as the has-been of chip makers."

Back