Internet Explorer 11 Developer Preview

Any web developer should be keen to take a look at it, as IE's web developer tools have improved pretty significantly with this release. They aren't quite as good as WebKit's/Chrome's, but they're certainly in the ballpark. Certainly makes working with any cross-browser niggles much more pleasant.

It's gotten so hard to test websites on explorer. Between all the different version, standards vs. quirks vs. compatibility mode, it just gets worse and worse. Why is quirks mode even an option still??

I will also say that the browser mode settings on IE9 and IE10 that allow you to simulate older versions are not reliable.

Have to agree as much as they improve the functionality they take two steps back every time but continually supporting quirks and 15 different variations of rendering modes. Its an absolute cluster fuck.

I find that if your min-target is IE9, you generally have little to worry about (unless you want to use the History API, which you probably do). Pre-9 versions pretty much have to be treated as separate browsers, but 9, 10 and 11 are at least playing the same sport.

Sweet, a less buggy, hopefully more faster version of IE to download Google Chrome with!

No we mean the chrome web browser based on chromium which you attempted to denigrate with vapid commentary.

The drive by downloads say Chrome is a web browser.
The bloated install, resource grabbing, and non-browser functions added make it more like ChomeOS. It was always more spyware than browser, but it is even moving away from that anymore.

It's gotten so hard to test websites on explorer. Between all the different version, standards vs. quirks vs. compatibility mode, it just gets worse and worse. Why is quirks mode even an option still??

I will also say that the browser mode settings on IE9 and IE10 that allow you to simulate older versions are not reliable.

They've been trying to get more standards compliant, even going to the point of pretending it's firefox because a lot of developers automatically assume that if it's ANY version of IE it's not going to be standards compliant. Google is really bad about this for example.

And not every browser is going to perfectly implement every standard, thus the need for quirks. It's never going to go away.

I'm still not interested.

The chrome developer tools have become such a core part of my workflow, it would take something really spectacular to get me to move away. They are hands down the best, most feature rich and easiest to use. Better than firebug, way better than what's in IE10, and probably still better than what's in IE11.

Regardless of the choice we nerd elite make for our personal browser, it's hard to deny that having a vastly better IE helps us all in the long run. I'm glad they're actually putting work in it again.

I prefer IE 11 over both Firefox and Chrome actually. BEAUTIFUL smoothscrolling, and websites work great with it.

I use firefix when I have to, and try to avoid chrome at all costs.

I downloaded the Release Preview a few days ago and I'm really liking it...the IE hate threads are outdated and people are just clinging to urban legends...IE11 is definitely the best version of IE and in the conversation for best overall browser

Back