Navy Unmanned Drone Makes Carrier Landing

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
For the very first time, a robot drone has landed itself on the deck of an aircraft carrier while the carrier was in motion. This was not a remote controlled landing, but an onboard computer controlled landing without outside help. The Navy’s X-47B ‘Salty Dog 502’ is a creation of Northrop Grumman at a cost of $1.4 Billion dollars each. The X-47B was just the first round of this new technology and now both X-47B's will be retired to aviation museums.

I know better uses for those 1.4 billion dollars......... like giving it to me to spend.

1.4billion USD for a drone? The military needs to stop giving out ridiculous contracts with no oversight. A DARPA project could probably have done that for far less.

Less the drone itself more the technology that performs the landing...

Somehow I don't find drones as exciting as fighter jets or stealth aircraft. But I guess they will be the more practical choice in the future.

1.4billion USD for a drone? The military needs to stop giving out ridiculous contracts with no oversight. A DARPA project could probably have done that for far less.

$1.4 billion is cheap for the government. They spent almost $400 billion in development of the F-35.

1.4 billion on something they named "Salty Dog."

I really don't see this as a huge achievement. The FA-18's already have ACLS or Automatic Carrier Landing System that can do a much better job than most pilots.

For-profit military defense widgets contract industry, for the win

I bet there were a few guys watching that thinking..."Well there goes my long-term career!"

oh and if spent more on basic science we wouldnt NEED all this crap to deal with the middle east

Poor NASA. Their budget can be counted in drones.

Truly sad.

While this is cool, I wish the government would pump more money into something worthwhile like space exploration.

Apparently people just don't want to dream anymore. :eek:

Nasa should become a private corporation then they could get some better lobbyists.

Am I the only one that spent more time looking at the news anchor than the plane?

Nasa should become a private corporation then they could get some better lobbyists.

Seriously, why the hell does this country spend so much on defense & brainwash the American society that it's safer today :confused:

1.4 Billion, what the bloody fuck man :eek:

Seriously, why the hell does this country spend so much on defense & brainwash the American society that it's safer today :confused:

1.4 Billion, what the bloody fuck man :eek:

It is a lot to spend against men in rusty Toyota trucks and riding donkeys but there you go.

That's the power of lobbying and big corporate power.

1.4 billion on something they named "Salty Dog."

A Salty Dog : Ingredients

•Coarse kosher salt
•Ice cubes
•1/2 cup vodka or gin
•3/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
If the drone would have missed the ACC, would they call it "One shot and a splash"?

Starting to think Einstein got this right... something along the lones of, not sure what weapons will be used in WW III, but I am sure WW IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I can't remember if I cried when I read about his widowed bride
Something touched me deep inside the day the music died

So, bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry ..

Back