Your PS4 Digital Library Will Be Playable From Any PS4

HardOCP News

[H] News
Where have I heard this idea before? I just seems so familiar but I can't put my finger on it. ;)

Sony's digital library is very similar to the library function that Microsoft had planned for the Xbox One. Microsoft's system would have allowed gamers to access all games they owned — even physical discs purchased from bricks-and-mortar retailers — as these would have been linked to individual accounts.

Some people warned the PS4 situation wasn't as anywhere near as different from the xbox situation as Sony implied. Its going to be kind of funny if come November the Xbox turns out to be the least restrictive by far and they hardly make any sales in comparison to PS4.

Yet Microsoft already dumped this functionality from the Xbox One. Wonder if they will re-implement it now. They keep making stupid decisions lately, don't know wtf is in charge of their new Console but he/she is totally wacked out. Let people buy and sell used games, dump family sharing of games. Why couldn't there have been a middle ground.

Yet Microsoft already dumped this functionality from the Xbox One. Wonder if they will re-implement it now. They keep making stupid decisions lately, don't know wtf is in charge of their new Console but he/she is totally wacked out. Let people buy and sell used games, dump family sharing of games. Why couldn't there have been a middle ground.

As there is no product yet, something being dumped or not is not something that can be confirmed. IMO, microsoft's "we're dropping it!!!" statement wasn't a mea culpa, it was them trying to be a jerk to the customer base by insisting that you can either have it the good new stuff, or the good old stuff, but not both. They did this in the hope it would turn the conversation in the direction of "but Noooooo... I absolutely NEED that bit." It is a load of crap, you can have both.

Console only kiddos should be thanking us PC gamers for pioneering their improvements in services and products by purchasing these things with our money 8 years before they get it.

This story is boring. How bout we get the rage started over the confirmed $80 price point for EA games for next generation. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!

dear sony, is my blue ray collection and music collection considered part of my digital library?

Dear Ocean,

You may want to take questions like that to the official Sony/Playstation forums, since their reps don't have official accounts on [H].

Sincerely,
Common Sense

I can go anywhere in the world, find a PS3, log on with my PSN account credentials and start downloading games I've purchased online onto it. Then I can return home to my own PS3 after logging out on the foreign one. Both of these PS3s will be able to play these games forever, even at the same time.

Family Plan was MS ripping off Sony.

What I don't get is how consumers are going to react? Cause we're losing rights as consumers, rapidly. It was just yesterday that I remember buying a game and claiming ownership of said game. Now I'm not buying a game, so much as paying for a license. But it isn't a license, cause then I would only have to pay for a very cheap monthly fee. So I pay full price as if I own the game, but it's treated like a license.

Why don't movies and music go through this? That's cause they aren't limited to one single device. Its much easier to dictate to people how to pay when only one single device can play it. Where are music and movies are very universal, and no single machine is used to dictate what you do with your media.

This is why the PC is by far the best platform for gaming. It's not just one single machine. Sure Steam is one service, but it isn't the only way we can get our games. Companies are willing to bet that your have such a large addiction to these games that you'll jump through hoops to get them. You'll buy the new expensive consoles, and pay the monthly fee needed to go online, and buy the new Halo 4 or Call of Duty Forever titles. These games will be trash and you all know it.

As for why these consoles are sold out with pre-orders, I believe that a good lot of those people are going to put these machines on Ebay for three times the asking price.

I can go anywhere in the world, find a PS3, log on with my PSN account credentials and start downloading games I've purchased online onto it. Then I can return home to my own PS3 after logging out on the foreign one. Both of these PS3s will be able to play these games forever, even at the same time.

You can do the same on the Xbox 360. You can also do the same on the Xbox One.

What you can't do is, share them without your account information, which is what the "Family" Sharing would have enabled.

Funny..I have 3 PS3's and my "Digital Library" is accessible across all of them already...

What I don't get is how consumers are going to react? Cause we're losing rights as consumers, rapidly. It was just yesterday that I remember buying a game and claiming ownership of said game. Now I'm not buying a game, so much as paying for a license. But it isn't a license, cause then I would only have to pay for a very cheap monthly fee. So I pay full price as if I own the game, but it's treated like a license.

Why don't movies and music go through this? That's cause they aren't limited to one single device. Its much easier to dictate to people how to pay when only one single device can play it. Where are music and movies are very universal, and no single machine is used to dictate what you do with your media.

This is why the PC is by far the best platform for gaming. It's not just one single machine. Sure Steam is one service, but it isn't the only way we can get our games. Companies are willing to bet that your have such a large addiction to these games that you'll jump through hoops to get them. You'll buy the new expensive consoles, and pay the monthly fee needed to go online, and buy the new Halo 4 or Call of Duty Forever titles. These games will be trash and you all know it.

As for why these consoles are sold out with pre-orders, I believe that a good lot of those people are going to put these machines on Ebay for three times the asking price.

I will tell you how I am reacting... THANK YOU!

The digital service that Steam provides is very nice, I can easily pay for games, download/install and play all in my underwear whenever I want.

If I want to play a game again, just redownload and install again. No "where did I put that disk", "damn the key paper is missing wtf", "oh crap the CD is scratched, gotta hunt down a torrent ISO"... etc These ALL were things that happened to me with CD based games.

If I reimage my computer, just install Steam... boom all my games are available, not digging through some box with tons of CDs etc.

I gladly gave up the ability to sell my games, my "rights" were traded for a better gaming experience.

Most of the XB1 crying was just that crying. Yes the check in every 24 hours really would suck for some people in some situations but it was overblown in the grander scheme of things.

The fact that essentially one single issue was the basis for the fall of expanding digital sales. MS was talking about transferring licenses etc, basically fixing the issues of digital vs physicial in a common sense way. People just poo-poo'ed it due to used sales (which probably would still exist) and the 24 hour check in (which I admit should not be needed).

If MS would have just removed the mandatory 24 hour check in, saying "some XB1 features only work while being online" issue would have been resolved. Maybe they could have left the ability to turn your physical disk into a digital version as an option only.

Personally I laughed when MS did what all the cryers wanted, thus throwing out game sharing and other cool features.

This story is boring. How bout we get the rage started over the confirmed $80 price point for EA games for next generation. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!

WOW really was wondering why Titan Fall was 60 bucks for PC
lolz

If MS would have just removed the mandatory 24 hour check in, saying "some XB1 features only work while being online" issue would have been resolved. Maybe they could have left the ability to turn your physical disk into a digital version as an option only.
People were losing their right to ownership of media, without any real benefits. Microsoft offered no real benefits with all these restrictions. Given that a lot of what they're doing Steam already does, but Steam isn't the only choice on PC. So if I don't like Steam's policies, I'll just get the game through another method.

Removing the 24h check in would have no solved enough of the problems. Without a clear direction where used game sales are going, price fixing of games are inevitable.
Personally I laughed when MS did what all the cryers wanted, thus throwing out game sharing and other cool features.
What Microsoft did was essentially say they were tired of having customers. Cause I will make fun of anyone dumb enough to have bought that machine if those policies were still in place, just like how I make fun of anyone dumb enough to buy Windows 8.

People were losing their right to ownership of media, without any real benefits. Microsoft offered no real benefits with all these restrictions. Given that a lot of what they're doing Steam already does, but Steam isn't the only choice on PC. So if I don't like Steam's policies, I'll just get the game through another method.

Removing the 24h check in would have no solved enough of the problems. Without a clear direction where used game sales are going, price fixing of games are inevitable.

What Microsoft did was essentially say they were tired of having customers. Cause I will make fun of anyone dumb enough to have bought that machine if those policies were still in place, just like how I make fun of anyone dumb enough to buy Windows 8.

Wow, you are just all over the place in that post.

"People were losing their right to ownership of media, without any real benefits."
So the whole family sharing plan is NO real benefit to users? Ok, sport.
You really need to spend some time schooling yourself before starting your avalanche of bullshit.

:rolleyes:

Both the PS3 and 360 can download and play games on any 360 when you log in to your account.

What do you think happens when your console dies and has to be replaced? You have to re-download the stuff again. It works on any console.

And for PS4/XB1, its the same thing again. You can play your digital media on any console. Nothing is different.

This is not news, and not stealing anything, its status quo.

Whats wrong with the news stories lately?

the only thing interesting here is the idea that you dont need to download the full game to start playing it. Instead of waiting for all 15-15GB of a game to start it'd kick off after 1-2gb. which would make sense when your at a friends house and want to show off a game. That element is the news everything else is status quo (carefully PRed and Marketing speaked to sound interesting)

the only thing interesting here is the idea that you dont need to download the full game to start playing it. Instead of waiting for all 15-15GB of a game to start it'd kick off after 1-2gb. which would make sense when your at a friends house and want to show off a game. That element is the news everything else is status quo (carefully PRed and Marketing speaked to sound interesting)

I agree, looks like a cool new feature that gets lots in all the (imo) huff and puff.

Lol! I'd be ok with that as long as all the mediocre yearly follow-up roster updates cost $10. $80 a year for what they sale is ridiculous.

I love it when companies rerelease services they already have, its like the second grand opening of the gas station down the road, all we need is a giant blow up gorilla.

Oh and what did I say about Sony starting to push people to digital? Where is dekoth and owner ship, oh he is up there admitting he has digital games.

I think of a few of those signatures are suspicious to say the least...

It's so important so that the Xbox one is shittier again
I love restrictions. I want always online DRM. I want the game rental business to become obsolete. I don't want to let my friends borrow games, because fuck them. All I care about is my god damn new age console that'll blow everything else out of the water! F**k the PS4 and fuck those Sony guys for catering to fans who care about their gaming experience. F**k PC, that shit is stupid. Steam? F**k that shit. They never have sales or anything. It's not as affordable as buying my games from the XBL marketplace. I love Microsoft and their business practices will be the best forever. F**k yes. <3 Xbox.
(censored for language)

Wow, you are just all over the place in that post.

"People were losing their right to ownership of media, without any real benefits."
So the whole family sharing plan is NO real benefit to users? Ok, sport.
You really need to spend some time schooling yourself before starting your avalanche of bullshit.

How is family sharing a benefit to you? You're basically advertising a game in hopes for them to buy the game as well. And for what, 15-45 minutes? That's not sharing, but more like giving someone a demo. It's so stupid that people are actually petitioning to have this feature back.

I'm thinking more of a return policy. The ability to return the game within 2-3 days. If I find the game to not be worth my money, then I have 2-3 days to get a full refund. Is that asking too much for digital downloaded goods costing $60?

It kinda is when you could play through an entire game in 2-3 days and be done with it. What's to stop you from saying you don't like any game you buy?

If it were a software that has much more reuse value, sure a return policy makes sense. Something as disposable as an RPG, not so much. Sure you could go back & replay, but after a game is "beaten" too many people abandon it and move on to the next thing.

How is family sharing a benefit to you? You're basically advertising a game in hopes for them to buy the game as well. And for what, 15-45 minutes? That's not sharing, but more like giving someone a demo. It's so stupid that people are actually petitioning to have this feature back.

I'm thinking more of a return policy. The ability to return the game within 2-3 days. If I find the game to not be worth my money, then I have 2-3 days to get a full refund. Is that asking too much for digital downloaded goods costing $60?

If sharing was only a timed demo... Yes I agree completely retarded, they should just offer demo's of all the games then, why would i need to share it? Can't believe I would be no gullible to think they would allow sharing but only 1 person could play at a time, that would be too "easy" for publishers to complain about lost sales just like with used games sales. I am sorry but its all bull, pretty much every entertainment market has delt with sharing/used sales for years and years... The game industry can deal with it.

I agree with a return policy, but the only way that would work would either be a really short window of 12-24 hours or maybe even a total hours counter, all these games keep track how long you have played it why not use that... Set it for 3 hours, if you can't decide if the game sucks within 3 hours of gameplay you probably will play the whole thing.

It kinda is when you could play through an entire game in 2-3 days and be done with it. What's to stop you from saying you don't like any game you buy?

If it were a software that has much more reuse value, sure a return policy makes sense. Something as disposable as an RPG, not so much. Sure you could go back & replay, but after a game is "beaten" too many people abandon it and move on to the next thing.

yeah exactly. a lot of games you can beat the single player in a day or two easily, which means they would get a TON of returns after people already finish the game. if MS and sony were smart then all games would have a 15-45 minutes demo you can download, then if you like the game you can go to the store or download it to play the rest.

and yeah the family sharing was not a feature AT ALL once it was revealed it was only 15-45 minutes that you could share, which has been free since the beginning of gaming. as for everything else MS has said and done: fuck em. they made this mess for themselves. even if they launch a great console at this point with all the right features, they will sell a lot less than they owuld have if they hadnt just been such dicks over and over throughout the last year. family sharing is shit, 24hr check-in is shit, etc. none of that ever should have been included, and they shouldnt have taken away a bunch of other stuff to punish people for not tolerating it.

:rolleyes:

Both the PS3 and 360 can download and play games on any 360 when you log in to your account.

What do you think happens when your console dies and has to be replaced? You have to re-download the stuff again. It works on any console.

And for PS4/XB1, its the same thing again. You can play your digital media on any console. Nothing is different.

This is not news, and not stealing anything, its status quo.

Whats wrong with the news stories lately?
Most games on Xbox 360 are available via transferable disc as an alternative. xbox one was eliminating that options altogether. PS may be following suit.

If sharing was only a timed demo... Yes I agree completely retarded, they should just offer demo's of all the games then, why would i need to share it? Can't believe I would be no gullible to think they would allow sharing but only 1 person could play at a time, that would be too "easy" for publishers to complain about lost sales just like with used games sales. I am sorry but its all bull, pretty much every entertainment market has delt with sharing/used sales for years and years... The game industry can deal with it.

I agree with a return policy, but the only way that would work would either be a really short window of 12-24 hours or maybe even a total hours counter, all these games keep track how long you have played it why not use that... Set it for 3 hours, if you can't decide if the game sucks within 3 hours of gameplay you probably will play the whole thing.

yeah exactly. a lot of games you can beat the single player in a day or two easily, which means they would get a TON of returns after people already finish the game. if MS and sony were smart then all games would have a 15-45 minutes demo you can download, then if you like the game you can go to the store or download it to play the rest.

and yeah the family sharing was not a feature AT ALL once it was revealed it was only 15-45 minutes that you could share, which has been free since the beginning of gaming. as for everything else MS has said and done: fuck em. they made this mess for themselves. even if they launch a great console at this point with all the right features, they will sell a lot less than they owuld have if they hadnt just been such dicks over and over throughout the last year. family sharing is shit, 24hr check-in is shit, etc. none of that ever should have been included, and they shouldnt have taken away a bunch of other stuff to punish people for not tolerating it.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-xbox-one-family-game-share-was-never-time-limited

Earlier this week, after Microsoft killed their family Xbox One game share plan due to DRM changes, an alleged Microsoft employee used Pastebin to claim that the games shared through the plan would be limited to 60 minutes of game time. Since that piece of information was 'revealed', Aaron Greenberg of the Xbox team has come out and basically said that the claim on Pastebin was false.

It wasnt going to be limited play, the only "reports" of that were rumor because one upset employee said so. All the official reports are full share, but only one can play at a time.

Considering the amount of online games, and the push for multiplayer, that wouldnt effect too many games.

well we may never know now, but i wouldnt be surprised if MS was planning on only letting people share demos. hopefully they really were going to let us share whole games like they said. either way, taking off the 24hr check-in did not mean they had to disable family sharing. theyre programmers, if they wanted to let us have family sharing then they could program it so that only the person who currently has the game shared to them has to check in or something. saying that they cant have family sharing without the 24hr check-in is complete and utter bullshit. that's why i'm still suspicious.

well we may never know now, but i wouldnt be surprised if MS was planning on only letting people share demos. hopefully they really were going to let us share whole games like they said. either way, taking off the 24hr check-in did not mean they had to disable family sharing. theyre programmers, if they wanted to let us have family sharing then they could program it so that only the person who currently has the game shared to them has to check in or something. saying that they cant have family sharing without the 24hr check-in is complete and utter bullshit. that's why i'm still suspicious.

no but it might have been a condition the publishers set ever think of that?
i would bet most of the DRM was the price MS has to pay to get what they wanted

Other than the Play-As-You-Download feature, this isn't any different than playing PSN games on any PS3 you are logged in to, or playing your XBLA games on any X360. Another area Steam handled a long-ass time ago.

idrinknavy_fullpic_artwork.jpg

It wasnt going to be limited play, the only "reports" of that were rumor because one upset employee said so. All the official reports are full share, but only one can play at a time.

Considering the amount of online games, and the push for multiplayer, that wouldnt effect too many games.

The counter claim only exists after the initial claim on a feature that is now dead. So they can say anything they want about it. In other words they could be trying to exaggerate what people 'lost' out of sour grapes. I'm not saying the initial claim is valid but I'm not sure the followup counter-claim is valid either.

Re: the "family and friends sharing" gimmick for XBONE, now killed. All I know is if anyone really believed Microsoft was going to let 10 people on 10 different consoles share one $60 game even not simultaneously, you may have brain lesions and need baseball batting like those walking dead ghouls. The MS reps were quick to change the subject in every press E3 interview I saw prior to killing the feature, whenever a reporter pressed for more details and confirmation.

Back