Internet Whining Didn't Force Microsoft's Hand

The answer to 99 out of 100 questions in business in MONEY. Microsoft saw the money going to Sony, so they changed their tune. END OF STORY.

I'm going on record to state that Cliff, "Cliffy B", whoever he is, is an idiot. He's always running his mouth against the grain just to remain relevant to a conversation. He's completely lost the mojo he had 10+ years ago. The Internet would become a better place if he would become a hermit.

I'm going on record to state that Cliff, "Cliffy B", whoever he is, is an idiot. He's always running his mouth against the grain just to remain relevant to a conversation. He's completely lost the mojo he had 10+ years ago. The Internet would become a better place if he would become a hermit.

And if people stopped quoting him like his name still has any meaning.

The answer to 99 out of 100 questions in business in MONEY. Microsoft saw the money going to Sony, so they changed their tune. END OF STORY.

No it was the whining. Because if say we won't buy the Xbox One, then we'd buy the PS4. Now if Sony did the same thing, then we'd all be PC gamers.

Essentially the consumer voted with their wallet.

The same exact way that they thought METRO was a good idea for non touch-screen devices.
With Windows 8, they can get away with it cause Windows is a monopoly. On Xbox, that's not true. Sony just reminded them they have a competitor. I'm sure Valve is around the corner about to do the same thing.

Really, whining didn't have anything to do with it? Then why this statement

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

Candid feedback is the PC term to mean internet whining, so you don't further piss off your already pissed off customer base!

Yea Microsoft saw that the potential business they were about to lose to Sony was far to great so they took a step back, they don't care about the customers they just care about getting your money. At this point the flak sony got for not showing physical box at the announcement of the PS4 is just a spec of dust compared to the major blacklash the DRM and Kinect BS has caused. Those serious missteps from Microsoft are going to cost them greatly.

I think the MS development teams are getting far too silo based.

Products are being created and developed in near isolation (possibly for security/intellectual property reasons) and maybe small ideas are ending up as a big deal that someone fresh from the outside would say "are you nuts???!!!"

I think another term could be "going native!"

Cliffy B on edge because he has all of his eggs in one basket and would probably lose the shirt off his back if the Xbox One bombs.

I'm sure the polls, pre-orders, and public ridicule contributed nothing to Microsoft's decision. (sarcasm)

Yeah, Sony is the root cause but if the public said nothing then Microsoft would have just gone through with their initial plans.

Yep! He woke up the entire world with his ill prepared and inarticulate ranting. He is a big fish in a small pond.

Even so, he represents "a regular guy" asking unscripted questions, and the video shows the absolutely typical marketer response of a company like MS. As awkward as it was, you got to see all of Joe's body language as he gets shutdown by Nelson's handlers; you get to Nelson trying to steer around questions with hilarious crap like "But, It's the future!"; you get to see Joe begging "please don't blacklist me".

That video should be renamed "the state of gaming journalism" or "why every major website rates games 9/10 regardless of quality".

The real question is....HOW DID MICROSOFT NOT SEE THIS COMING? lol

Because what they are doing is actually good they just really sucked at communicating their message effectively. What they have now especially in regards to their sharing and used game plans is a step backwards from their initial proposal.

Microsoft was on a collision course to cold reality much like the Titanic. Did the Captain wise-up and avert disaster? We will see...

Cliffy B is a moron. Sony forced Microsoft's hand because they chose to respond to "internet whining" by giving customers what they wanted and making a public show out of it, playing the PR to their advantage. If there was no internet whining, Sony would have probably done the same crap to the PS4 that Microsoft wanted to do to the xbone.

This is from another article....

"Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback," he wrote. "I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One," he continued adding that the company has decided to make a few changes based on the feedback it has received.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Xbox-One-Internet-Connection-Regions-used-games,23170.html

Not sure where Cliff got his information from.

Twitter always confuses the shit out of me... There's always like one line without any context as to wtf they're talking about.

So in this case.. MSFT's hand was forced to do what exactly?

Microsoft was on a collision course to cold reality much like the Titanic. Did the Captain wise-up and avert disaster? We will see...

In the Titanic captain's defense, the iceberg wasn't there, then it was there. No amount of wisdom would have saved the ship. Nobody saw it until inches from collision.

Microsoft on the other hand had a chance to see all of the outcry in the past couple months but didn't heed it until now. They waited until it got too loud which tells me that they're too willing to tell a bunch of gamers to take a hike. That doesn't bode well with me.

On the other hand, I DO like Windows 8, and the outcries were there too, perhaps not as loud, or as others have said, Microsoft has a near-monopoly on desktop operating systems.

Personally I think it was a bit of both...

The publishers have been bitching about not getting a cut of resales pretty loudly for a few years now, and I think they'd talked both Sony and Microsoft into locking down their next Gen consoles pretty hard.

Not being complete idiots though, Sony and Microsoft were scared about consumer backlash and loss of sales because they *know* how many people play offline and like to rent and buy used... so they pursued their DRM/always online/no resale/etc models with the ability to back out of them if the shit really hit the fan.

When Microsoft unveiled the XBone first and Sony saw the outrage and backlash (not to mention everyone saying they'd buy PS4 over XB if Sony didn't follow MS's example) it was pretty much a no-brainier they ditch any plans for their DRM and use it as a *huge* PR and marketing opportunity against Microsoft.

Sony got way out ahead with both pre-orders and fan enthusiasm for their console, and Microsoft was caught off guard so badly that they quickly had to backpedal...

But that was always an option for them. If you really think about it, if the "always online" 24hr check-in was *that* important to overall functionality of the system, it would be hard coded into so much of the software that Microsoft would have had to basically redesign the majority of the system to get rid of it.

So I stand by my belief that both Sony and Microsoft always planned to go full DRM, but also had backup plans in place... so in the end, the internet outrage and gamers speaking with their pre-orders DID ultimately force Microsoft's hand...

I doubt the Internet did anything either. It was the fact that it was starting to pick up traction in the mainstream news due to the response on Jimmy Fallon the other day. Granted they didn't understand other than you can't play used games, which wasn't true but was implied. but if it had continued it really would have gotten out of hand with the public.

I think that Microsoft will phase in the digital download the generation so the next one is fully digital. It was just too soon right now. Give the digital copy a $10 price break, and people will start moving over. If they can play it right, they can move the majority of their customers to the digital model and it won't be so extreme next generation. The way it is now is too much, too soon, and too restrictive (or at least it sounded that way, as so many didn't have the answers. It was always 'the future!').

Kinect and $100 difference? I can live with that. I went from a "Fuck no" to a "Probably will buy, but wait until after the holidays".

The damage has already been done. On not getting one since they even considered sadistic d.r.m.

I'm actually impressed that Microsoft listened to the consumer base and rapidly changed things with the XBone this close to release.

EA, take notes, and detailed ones...you missed a big opportunity to appease your current customers and all the potential sales that could have been had with a title like SimCity (to name one) if you would just LISTEN TO AND TAKE ACTION FROM CONSUMER CRITICISM.

MS has taken a lot of cues from Apple recently. Lots of "we're telling you what you should want/like" type stuff.
Unfortunately they're only doing it as well as Tim Cook instead of Steve Jobs. It takes a certain kind of charismatic guy to pull that kind of approach off. Short of Jobs, I haven't seen any others doing it well recently.

I'm actually impressed that Microsoft listened to the consumer base and rapidly changed things with the XBone this close to release.

EA, take notes, and detailed ones...you missed a big opportunity to appease your current customers and all the potential sales that could have been had with a title like SimCity (to name one) if you would just LISTEN TO AND TAKE ACTION FROM CONSUMER CRITICISM.

But they did listen. They offered you guys Plants vs Zombies to say they're sorry, didn't they? ;)

So Microsoft only changed course because of a competing product, and would have continued to screw it's customers over if Sony (or the PS4) hadn't existed?

It's obvious that Microsoft pays more attention to the competition than to the customer, and I'm willing to bet that most major corporations are the same way.

This is why we need to change the anti-trust laws, so they not only ban outright monopolies, but also lower the limit to a max of 40% of a particular market. That way, even if one of the competitors were to go out of business, the remaining company (or companies) would automatically be broken up (into 40%-of-market pieces) in order to restore healthy competition.

If companies are going to be stupid and insist on making us "vote with our wallets" instead of actually listing to us, then we need to find a way to ensure that there are actually some good options on the ballot.

But they did listen. They offered you guys Plants vs Zombies to say they're sorry, didn't they? ;)

Listened with shit between their ears. Which is why I don't own SimCity and don't use Origin.

they didn't see it coming because they fully expected sony to do something similar with restriction to used games anyway.

I'm sure that Microsoft and Sony must have made an agreement that they'll both impose these DRM restrictions on their consoles. Sony let Microsoft announce it first, and then did a 180 and claimed to not have any DRM on their machine. Don't think the game publishers had nothing to do with it as well.

Wouldn't matter anyway, as Steam would have been the safe haven for those who didn't want to pay up their ass. Then there's Europe, who I'm sure is already looking to find a way to resale digital goods.

Back